Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if GM's fortunes would have been better with his innovative approaches? Might they be building a hybrid today? He pushed muscle cars at a time few others saw a market, and brought out the GTO and others. He pushed through the Vega at a time conventional thought said build a cheap-cheap car if it is small. He took a risk on the aluminum engine (a technology now found in our ICE). And of course he played with technology with his namesake sports car.

I can't help but wonder where GM would be today if he had stayed off the coke...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Besides pulling no punches, it appears to also sling a lot of innuendo and unproven accusations. Is it relevant that his father drank, for instance? Or is this inclusion intended to surround him with negative imagery in the article? It includes statements that testimony claimes this and that, but testimony, as we have sadly learned in Iran-Contra, invisible WMDs, and recent high-profile celebrity trials, is not proof.

I am neither a fan nor critic of the man, but I note that he changed and charged an industry that now, in America at least, seems to be dying a slow, unware, grey death.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The VEGA came out in 1971. It wasn't the first aluminum engine, but it was probably the first mass-produces sleeveless block design, at least in the quantities envisioned for the car.

GM used to take chances... Corvair, Corvette, Vega, EV-1...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Cadillac Allante, Cadillac XLR, Pontiac Grad Prix, Pontiac GrandAm, Pontiac Fiero, Buick Rivera, Buick Super Wildcat, Chevy Z28 (I'm getting tired) but won't forget the best run of full-sized station wagons in the world with the Buick and Chevy Caprice. But then the American consumer decided it liked sport utility vehicles and the government said if you will build them we will absolve you of complying with any of the milage and envireamental restrictions placed on the auto industry. You may call them all "trucks" even those with the Cadillac and Lincoln monikers on them. Why wouldn't a smart businessman go along with the majority of consumers desires.
Consumers desires change. First the suburbs are now in the 25 t0 40 mile range as the homes in the 15 mile range have reached astronomical heights. Although the commuter still feels much safer in an SUV (whether he is or not) he is now being forced into much more of an economy car. The American manufacturer will slowly catch up and grab it's share of that market just as the foreign manufacturer attempted to get a piece of the SUV market.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Ex-GM's talented Engineer.

Ex-GM talented Engineer that he was:
John Z DeLorean was ahead of his time. He created the first case of
"take US job abroad" Build in foreign country-it-is-cheaper. Take all
money-tax incentive-Bribe-that comes my way. Ireland gives me the
most bribe ! Lets all go there...and build this "Stainless Steel-Gull winged
Sports-Car, If we build them GM will buy them & re-sale them through GM's
"CHEVY" outletts. then 10.000 dealers strong !
Heck Toyota only has 1500 now in the whole USA !
in the 21st century, Quality- surpasses-Quantity.
We all miss the true American entrepreneur. !
Salute to GM then & GM now ! slowly dying...Species !

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was watching Back to the Future (with the kids...) and said "I wish I had a car like that: sleek, silver, futuristic. " Then I thought about my Prius, and realized I have one. :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
sdwilsonsct said:
I was watching Back to the Future (with the kids...) and said "I wish I had a car like that: sleek, silver, futuristic. " Then I thought about my Prius, and realized I have one. :D
And there's prolly a flux capacitor under the hood somewhere... :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Vega

I had a 1971 Vega. Bought it because it was highly recommended by Consumers Report. Within the first year I had a rust through hole in the front fender and the block had to be replaced because of warping. GM was not particularly nice about the whole thing. Have not bought a GM product since. But I sure like my Prius.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sanny said:
sdwilsonsct said:
And there's prolly a flux capacitor under the hood somewhere... :)
with a lifetime charge/discharge total of 1.2 jiggawatts (not GigaWatts)
:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts