way to try. Read the details at
http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12499&st=14
which may have a strong impact on your purchase
decisions.
_H*

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hobbit, you should have droppped by the Melgish compound. I'm only about 7oz of gas away from Dave's abode.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Mr. Prius Anigav said:
melgish said:
Hobbit, you should have droppped by the Melgish compound. I'm only about 7oz of gas away from Dave's abode.
Based on your avg miles are you around 17.26 miles from Dave?
Well, not right this minute... but he lives somewhere in Indiatlantic, and I live in Melbourne. It's under 20 miles, yes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I gotta say, stopping by someone's house, unannounced, when you don't know them or have ever even met them, really pushes the boundries of propriety and good manners to me. Even with shared interests. I would be like "who the f$%# are you?" Especially if they don't openly list their address on the website and say, "hey, come say hi." No matter how easy it was for you to look up their address thru the computer, it was their choice on whetehr or not to put it out there, and they didn't, that was their choice.

Spike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Spike said:
I gotta say, stopping by someone's house, unannounced, when you don't know them or have ever even met them, really pushes the boundries of propriety and good manners to me. Even with shared interests. I would be like "who the f$%# are you?" Especially if they don't openly list their address on the website and say, "hey, come say hi." No matter how easy it was for you to look up their address thru the computer, it was their choice on whetehr or not to put it out there, and they didn't, that was their choice.

Spike
I have to agree, but....

Coastal Dave hasn't shown anyone around here the slightest interest in a long time. A simple chat at the door way would have gone a long way. I think a two minute converstion isn't too much to ask for. I mean he is the one who introducted himself to the Prius community as another enthusiast.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
petteri said:
A simple chat at the door way would have gone a long way. I think a two minute converstion isn't too much to ask for. I mean he is the one who introducted himself to the Prius community as another enthusiast.
How could he know it would be a 2 minute chat? My father in law thinks we have a shared interest in computers because I am a software architect and he just likes them. He frequently tries to start discussions that I have no interest in and he talks forever. I would probably have acted the same way as Coastal Dave.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
petteri said:
There are plenty of polite ways to end a conversation. Esp. if your the one behind the door, just shut it closed slowly!
I don't know that showing up at someone's house unannounced is considered polite. In fact I think it is less polite than what Coastal Dave did which seems to justify his reaction. How many people like having salesmen, religious folks or people asking for money for charities coming to their door. It is an intrusion into their private lives.

·
Registered
65 Posts
redwein said:
petteri said:
There are plenty of polite ways to end a conversation. Esp. if your the one behind the door, just shut it closed slowly!
I don't know that showing up at someone's house unannounced is considered polite. In fact I think it is less polite than what Coastal Dave did which seems to justify his reaction. How many people like having salesmen, religious folks or people asking for money for charities coming to their door. It is an intrusion into their private lives.
Anyway, like I said above I agree that that it is rude to show up unannounced. But....

·
Registered
455 Posts
petteri said:
Spike said:

Spike
I have to agree, but....

Coastal Dave hasn't shown anyone around here the slightest interest in a long time. A simple chat at the door way would have gone a long way. I think a two minute converstion isn't too much to ask for. I mean he is the one who introducted himself to the Prius community as another enthusiast.
Has anyone gotten anything from him in a while? Product or email?

I am prepared to order some things, but I was waiting for the Nav overide to be availible. I hate the idea of ordering ahead of time.

I have to say too, no way of knowing it would last 2 minutes or 2 days. Especially when the arrivee, has a folder of paper in his hands. No way of knowing if he was even there. Plus, probly a little thrown off based on someone just coming out of the blue. I know I would be, if you don't put your address out there and invite people. And just 'cause you own a business, doesn't mean you are inviting people into your life. Especially when it is web based.

If he hasn't shown any interest in a while, then so be it. He has the right to withdraw at any time. We all do. Showing up un announced at the doorstep certainly wouldn't seem to be the way to entice people out. To me it would only seem to drive me away and say "what the f#@$" do people think they are doing.

If any of you showed up at my house un invited, and said "hey! I own a Prius too!", I lifted your address of the web, my response would be "and...."

Spike

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Something that's almost been glossed over is the fact that it wasn't Dave who answered the door...it was a woman "possibly" Kelly.. It's not known if anyone else was around.

Now the name Hobbit implies a short, fat fellow who's feet are in dire need of a shave... but even if that's what he really looks like... Let's put this into some kind of perspective, and make a couple of assumptions...

Assume Hobbit got the right house
Assume Kelly answered the door
Assume Dave was out

Dave and Kelly run a business on the internet.
Not all customers have been completely satisfied.
Unhappy customers have been rude and nasty.

thoughts might have gone like this:

Someone is at the door.
He's asking for Dave.
How'd he get the address?
Who Is he?
a Customer who wants to talk?
Is he armed?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I haven't odered anything in about 9 months (still waiting on the pre-ordered Nav/BT defeat), though the stuff I did order came and is working well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I believe Hobbit said on PruisChat it was the stated business address.

Having a business in my home as well, I know you take some risks of walk-in traffic just showing up at your door. (Note that Norm Abram doesn't publicize where his workshop is!!) But a good businessperson should be prepared for that. In such a case, whoever answers the door, whether it's a child, other relative, household employee or business employee, should have been instructed on how to treat customers whether or not they have appointments.

Susan
04 silver BC
32000 miles
42 mpg this tank so far

1 - 15 of 15 Posts