Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I picked up what appears to be a basic package 2004 Prius Certified Used. I have read about the alarm being there but not active on all Prius so I question me dealer about activating the alarm and adding the GBS sensor and they qutoed me $465.00 plus tax. The part is 0858647840 is $163.20 the rest is labor. I could get a two paging system installed for that I am going to call around some more. What are other dealers charging for those of you that have had it performed?

Tony

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
They are WAY overcharging. Supposedly there is a yellow wire they are supposed to disconnect from pin 4 of B6 connector (instructions has it labeled 16P but there is no such connector) going to the body ECU over by the driver junction box, but it has been said that if you don't add GBS, the alarm can be turned on in 1 min 20 seconds using the scantool.
The security option they need to turn on is DOR.

Find another cooperative dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the fax back document from Fujitsu Ten and they say everything you do. I did call another dealership and got a quote of $440 I think I am going to go down a talk face to face. The guy on the phone made it sound like it was a really big deal and alot of stuff had to be added.

Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea, I got the "It's *much* more than just the scantool" routine from the dealer. They quoted $369.03.

I'm not sure if it's just they don't know, or if they just want to make some serious $$$.

One other thing, part of the money may go to an "insurance" policy, I've read that your insurance deductable can be reimbursed if your car is stolen.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
the prices I have for the factory options for the 2004:
V5 = VIP Security upgrade (conflicts with AG, AI, BC) $249
V2 = glass breakage sensor (conflicts and is NOT available with KE, BI, AM, BG) $149

that's for the port/dealer installed options at purchase (like the floor mats or rear bumper applique)...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
From what I understand, if you don't want the GBS, then all you have to do is use the scantool for a total of 2 minutes to turn the alarm on. You don't have to pull that wire.

But getting to that wire is a bit troublesome, but doesn't take 4 hours to do at $75/hr.

Now if you DO want the GBS, then you do have to pull the driver dash apart to install the GBS properly, and while you are there, pull that yellow wire from B6. That would take longer than 2 minutes, but I still don't think it is 4 hours. It's the GBS install that takes more labor, not the activating the alarm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DanMan32 said:
From what I understand, if you don't want the GBS, then all you have to do is use the scantool for a total of 2 minutes to turn the alarm on. You don't have to pull that wire.

But getting to that wire is a bit troublesome, but doesn't take 4 hours to do at $75/hr.

Now if you DO want the GBS, then you do have to pull the driver dash apart to install the GBS properly, and while you are there, pull that yellow wire from B6. That would take longer than 2 minutes, but I still don't think it is 4 hours. It's the GBS install that takes more labor, not the activating the alarm.
Well I have talked to four dealerships and you would think I was asking them to rewire the car they all want 400+ bucks for it and says there is all sorts of stuff some sort of upgrade kit. I bet that kit has the GBS and some instructions on how to use the scantool. Oh well.

Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts