Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ramair said:
Any problems w/ the '06 &/or the '07 in extreme cold weather: -10, -20, -30 below F?
Just watching the fuel economy go down and the slow response of the Multi-display!

Car works fine, starts easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an '05 and this winter was the coldest its been through yet. Down to -30F in the morning. No problems although I plug it in (block heater) below -10F because it seems the thermos doesn't quite cut it at that temp.

The big thing this winter though is I've discovered a use for 'B'. When you get into starting out on very icy conditions or loose snow and don't want TRAC to leave you stranded ... just put it in 'B' and go. The book talks about engine braking but that seems silly (I'd rather use regenerative braking ?). I use it to turn off the electric motor when the overspeed protection for electric motor is a nuiscance.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
reductionfurnace said:
The big thing this winter though is I've discovered a use for 'B'. When you get into starting out on very icy conditions or loose snow and don't want TRAC to leave you stranded ... just put it in 'B' and go. The book talks about engine braking but that seems silly (I'd rather use regenerative braking ?). I use it to turn off the electric motor when the overspeed protection for electric motor is a nuiscance.
Huh? Are you suggesting that B-mode somehow disables TRAC? I've never heard that before. And B-mode does not "turn off the electric motor"..either of them..I'd like you to clarify what information you're trying to convey here as it doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Me neither. B mode does 3 things:
1. It increases the 'default' regenerative drag. By default, I mean the regenerative drag you get when coasting with neither pedal is depressed.
2. It uses the ICE as part of the drag process. Not sure if this occurs all the time or only when the battery gets near full in capacity.
3. It tends to leave the ICE running even when not moving. I definitely don't understand the logic behind this one.

B mode does not affect acceleration at all, except maybe since ICE is already running (see observation #3), you have more power available immediately off the line whereas normally ICE is off, so you only have battery power, which is only a small fraction of the total power available from the car. MG2 can deliver quite a bit of kinetic torque and power, but is limited to what it is given, which is limited with battery power alone.
But this has nothing to do with traction. If the wheels slip, they slip. Only better tires can prevent that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.