Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Wrote earlier about a different topic and got MUCH more info than salesperson tried to provide. Great to have this resource. Thanks to all that responded on the battery bars. Tried to email John [1701] and it came back, but thanks to him and all.
An option I've always had on my cars is an alarm, since I work in a high-crime area. The salesman and dealer say I don't need this, since Prius has its own. They also caution me against going the after-market route because of the battery needs. Are they right? Is the Smart entry system enough?
Greg A.
04 Super White #6
had 4 days

·
Registered
51 Posts
re: Alarm

While the Prius has the engine immobilizer standard whether or not you have Smart Entry and Start, it does not provide any audible indication of an intrusion. If you are concerned about someone being in your Prius even if they can't start it or drive it off, you need the VIP alarm upgrade. It is available as a dealer installed option at an MSRP of $249. Glass Breakage sensor is an additional $149. We were able to get both added to our package 3 at our local Toyota dealer for less than MSRP.

Get them for peace of mind.

·
Registered
397 Posts
gamatt said:
Hi
Wrote earlier about a different topic and got MUCH more info than salesperson tried to provide. Great to have this resource. Thanks to all that responded on the battery bars. Tried to email John [1701] and it came back, but thanks to him and all.
An option I've always had on my cars is an alarm, since I work in a high-crime area. The salesman and dealer say I don't need this, since Prius has its own. They also caution me against going the after-market route because of the battery needs. Are they right? Is the Smart entry system enough?
Greg A.
04 Super White #6
had 4 days
If you are hoping to deter car prowling an alarm system may be helpful. The difficulty of stealing a Prius has been discussed here at length and, while nothing is impossible, it seems it would take a very determined and patient car thief to boost a Prius.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hello, folks!

I love this board! Very cool.

So...yeah, I have ordered a Lojack installation for my soon-to-be-delivered Millennium Silver #9. I have had Lojack installed in all of my cars.

Yeah, I know about the VIP and the GBS. I know that Lojack can be 3 or 4 times more expensive than the "upgraded" alarm system from Toyota. Alarms and engine immobilizers are great. But you can still be carjacked. At gunpoint, you should always give up your car. A Lojack will help the police locate your car faster, and maybe even catch the crook.

Yes, I would give up my car. But I'd want his @ss behind bars so he/she won't do it again. Knock on wood, I haven't had this happen to me, but if I ever did, catching somebody who carjacks me would be particularly near and dear to my heart. You see, I live in Florida, where we have "10-20-Life":

Use a gun in the commission of a crime = 10 years, mandatory

Fire a gun in the commission of a crime = 20 years, mandatory

Shoot someone in the commission of a crime = (whether they live or die) 25 years to life, yes...you guessed it, mandatory!

Yeah, we just got sick and tired of judges letting people off easy.

More info can be found at the Florida Dept. of Corrections:
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/secretary/pre ... 0life.html

Lojack: http://www.lojack.com
(no, I am not affilliated with, nor do I work for Lojack or any car or alarm manufacturer/retailer)

·
Registered
110 Posts
LoJack cost?

How much does it cost to install LoJack, and would it work in a Prius with its unusual battery setup? Second question: any solid evidence that cops are on the ball and have the equipment to track your car, and are there records to indicate that the system has actually apprehended carjackers?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Depends on your locale and dealers. The "basic" system is around $500 to $700 or more, and the "Early warning" system is over $900. Before sales tax. I'm paying over $1k after sales tax for the "early warning" one going into my Prius. Customer Service told me they have installed them into Prii, and that the technicians are well-trained and qualified to perform installations on any car or industrial equipment.

As I said, not cheap. But well-worth it.

The electrical power works like this....as explained to me a year ago, but don't take my word for it; check the Lojack website or give 'em a call:

Lojack tracking device is hidden someplace in the car. Lojack is a nondescript little box that looks like one of any number of possible ECMs or relays that might normally be found on any late model car. It's smaller than a pack of cigarettes, and most cars have over 30 places where Lojack can be hidden. It's plugged into the car's (or backhoe's, or compressor's, or generator's, or crane's) standard 12-volt system. The backup battery is self-contained. It recharges it's own backup battery from the 12-volt line.

Lojack waits in "receiver" mode until you report your car stolen. When your VIN is entered into the police stolen vehicle database, police towers (or transmitters on time-sharing towers) will send a signal to "wake up" Lojack and turn it into "transceiver" mode .

When Lojack is in transceiver mode, then the cops in Lojack-tracker-equipped cars and helicopters will automatically get your signal, even if your car is in a building, parking garage, or under a bridge. It works up to two miles away (I think).

If the 12-volt power supply is severed by way of a cut cable, or battery removal, then Lojack works on its own backup battery, regardless of whether or not your car has yet been reported stolen.

With a new "sleep-mode", it can conserve its internal battery and still transmit for 30 to 60 days (I think).

Lojack boasts a 90% or 95% "recovered within two-hours of reporting" rate. Damage to the vehicle is often minimal ($1,000 or less). "Chop shops" often don't have the time to begin cutting a Lojack car apart before the police come a'knocking.

Cops in many major cities have one or several cars or helicopters equipped with the Lojack police tracking device. As I mentioned earlier, activation is automatic, when you report your VIN #...it only depends on the VIN being entered correctly. No other action is necessary to "turn it on." In fact, cops don't even need to know your car is a Lojack car...as long as you report it stolen, the system is activated.

Some people, not knowing their used-car had Lojack installed by a prior owner, were pleasantly surprised to find out that Lojack was still activated, still working, and they got their car back.

Lojack technicians also have the police scanner-receiver in their trucks, and some drivers have even helped the cops get closer to a stolen vehicle, by way of the 2-way radio or cell phone in their trucks. The technician who performed my BMW's installation (a year ago) told me he once helped the cops recover a Corvette. Ironically, he himself had installed the Lojack in that same car a couple of years prior.

Okay, now I realize that after this lengthy dissertation, some of you might be thinking that I'm just shilling for Lojack. Not true. I use and believe in their product, and I don't have any vested interest in the company, other than that I hope they continue to be successful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ditto for the hybrid concept

Most of us here know and understand your desire to spread the word about a good product...we do it all the time for our hybrids... :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts