Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoes anyone have experience with the extended warranty (platinum) offered through (negotiated by )priusonline?

I wonder if it would work in Canada?

Do you pay up front and get a reimbursement?

A US Toyota warranty can be used in Canada but my local service rep at Toyota said that from time to time their dealership has trouble getting money out of Toyota USA to pay for warranty service they perform and they have to ask the prius owner for money until the warranty claim is paid.?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey David,

You must be referring to the Extended Warranty deal at PriusChat, I suppose.

I spoke with the dealer who is offering that warranty deal to members of that site, and as you likely know, he can't sell it to Prius car owners in Canada. I'm guessing though that you are thinking of buying your car in the U.S. - as I saw an earlier post about what was involved in buying one over the border, because of price.

From past searches on both websites, I found no references to info. about what you're asking, except for what I noted above, that he can't sell it to canadian-bought cars. I suppose you should ask him those questions directly of how the warranty would work in Canada if you intend to buy in the US. He is very accessible.

If you do choose to buy a new Prius in Canada, and specifically in the Toronto area, I can give you some info. on how to buy one at CAN $2,000 under MSRP, as I did, if that's any help...

Richard ([email protected])

·
Registered
33 Posts
PLATINIUM EXTENDED WARRANTY

I just bought my Prius two days ago here in Ottawa, Canada. I got the Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty, which is likely the same thing you have in the US. So as far as I can see, it should be valid in either country. Certainly, according to the documentation, my Platinum Extended Warranty can be used in the USA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congratulations on buying your Prius, Leo!

You're right that both Canadian and American versions of the extended warranty certainly are valid either side of the border.

FYI - If you went with the best version of available extended warranties - the Canadian version is 6 years/160,000km or 7 years/120,000 km while the American one is 7 years/160,000 km. Also, the Canadian dealers don't seem to give any significant discounts on it (5% max, I find). The discounted American version from PriusChat that David is interested in is about $400 less than the Canadian one.

So, ultimately, the PriusChat warranty is cheaper and offers more than the standard Canadian one that you likely purchased.

As far as I know, we Canadians can't access it, but I guess David is looking for a way... I haven't decided yet on if the Canadian version is worthwhile to me, but I have three years/60,000km to figure that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts