Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody shed some light on the Extended warranty that we can purchase from Toyota. I have read somewhere that a dealer is giving better price around $800. Is this true?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Vemuru said:
Can somebody shed some light on the Extended warranty that we can purchase from Toyota. I have read somewhere that a dealer is giving better price around $800. Is this true?

Thanks
It is true. If you follow the thread as veggivet suggests you'll see how it works. I did it and am perfectly satisfied with the transaction.
Drive happy,
Moo :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I just paid $1480 for 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. I was told my Gold BC has 24 onboard computers and if something goes out after the 36k miles then it could get real expensive, real fast to repair the car. This prompted me to buy the extended plan immediately. First they said it would be $2400 and with a little pushing I quickly got them down to $1400 which is not much less than I paid a few years back for a chevy extended warranty with similar coverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
The extended warranty I originally purchased was Toyota's top-of-the-line Platinum, 7 years or 100,000 miles, with zero deductible. That cost me $1650. I cancelled that plan (paying a $50 cancellation fee) and purchased the exact same plan from the guy over on the above mentioned thread (Troy at Toyota of Greenfield) for $980.
Drive happy,
Moo :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
greenmachine said:
I just paid $1480 for 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. I was told my Gold BC has 24 onboard computers and if something goes out after the 36k miles then it could get real expensive, real fast to repair the car. This prompted me to buy the extended plan immediately. First they said it would be $2400 and with a little pushing I quickly got them down to $1400 which is not much less than I paid a few years back for a chevy extended warranty with similar coverage.
you paid WAY too much.

MSRP for 6 years/100,000 miles/$50 deductible is $1450, $0 deductible is $1500.
http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/exte ... prius.html

see the FAQ I listed earlier for dealerships that charge significantly less than MSRP and are happy to do business with Prius customers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Extended Warranty on Prius

I just paid $685 for a 7 year 75,000 mile warranty through Troy at Toyota of Greenfield, whom I read about on this list. BTW, he said that such a warranty could be bought during the entire life of the original warranty--3 yr/36,000 mile. My dealer said I could pay $2195 for the same thing, and that it was such a good deal that I had to decide that night. I, of course, turned him down. I am not planning on returning to that dealership. :roll:

Dinamom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I have never quite understood the extended warrantee. Does it kick in after the original 3 year/36,000 mile warrantee is used up? or does it kick in after the 8 year/100,000 mile warrantee on the Hybrid stuff? or???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
oldfox said:
I have never quite understood the extended warrantee. Does it kick in after the original 3 year/36,000 mile warrantee is used up? or does it kick in after the 8 year/100,000 mile warrantee on the Hybrid stuff? or???
to quote myself from:
http://www.vfaq.com/Prius/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

<quote>
The Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan (extended warranty) runs from the
in-service date of the vehicle (usually around the time that the
vehicle arrives at the dealership or you take delivery). For example,
if your in-service date (when you bought it probably, or a few days
before) is on Dec. 1, 2003:
* New Car bumper-to-bumper warranty is 3 years, 36,000 miles, which
covers you until Dec. 1, 2006 or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs
first.
* The 7 year/100,000 mile Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan, would
cover you until Dec. 1, 2010 or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs
first.

So, if you buy the 7/100,000 extended warranty, it really only covers
you for an additional 4 years/64,000miles.
</quote>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
mrv said:
...the 7/100,000 extended warranty, it really only covers
you for an additional 4 years/64,000miles.
Precisely. It does offer some additional conveniences during the initial 3 years/36,000 period, however many travel clubs offer similar benefits. I don't consider extended service contracts to be a good value and I have never purchased one with any other vehicle. However, as much as I like my Prius, it is so different from any other vehicle I've ever owned that I feel better having a little extra insurance. This emotional decision was partly rationalized by the pending tax credit (actual amount TBD) and the hope that, should I decide to sell the car sooner than anticipated, it may help attract potential buyers.
Drive happy,
Moo :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top