Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what the options there are for extended warranty on the Prius. Where to get the best deal. Is the extended warranty needed, and for what and for how long.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned at this forum before, but I can't find it, and would like to be prepared before the finance guy talks me into buying one from Toyota.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you mrv and mchinta for posting this info. mrv's info is extensive, and I haven't read it all yet, but I will. It's helpful to know you can get a better deal somewhere else.
Do you think everyone who owns a Prius has the extended warranty, and is that maintenance plan really useful?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Warranty is a personal decision. Think of it as insurance.
With all the new and highly techical items in the car, including the accessories such as NAV, JBL amp and such, I opted for the warranty.

The maintenance plan is useless. All the car needs for up to 100K is oil/filter at 5K and air filters at 30K.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
DanMan32 said:
With all the new and highly techical items in the car, including the accessories such as NAV, JBL amp and such, I opted for the warranty.

The maintenance plan is useless. All the car needs for up to 100K is oil/filter at 5K and air filters at 30K.
Yeah, the Extended Warranty is a peace-of-mind for you and if you do not use it then "money-back-guarantee" if Purchased here in "Fremont Toyota" in the S.F. Bay Area California.

·
Registered
22 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
DanMan32 said:

Yeah, the Extended Warranty is a peace-of-mind for you and if you do not use it then "money-back-guarantee" if Purchased here in "Fremont Toyota" in the S.F. Bay Area California.
Are you saying you refund the price of the extended warranty if you don't end up using it? Not sure that's what you meant to type, but it looks that way.

Extended Warranty policies are like insurance. The Toyota extended warranty can be purchased at any time BEFORE the standard limited warranty expires ... so you can wait until 2 years 11 months, or 34,000 miles (whichever occurs first) to buy the extended warranty. I would not finance the warranty along with the car.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
fshagan said:
C.Rickey Hirose said:
DanMan32 said:

Are you saying you refund the price of the extended warranty if you don't end up using it? Not sure that's what you meant to type, but it looks that way.

Extended Warranty policies are like insurance. The Toyota extended warranty can be purchased at any time BEFORE the standard limited warranty expires ... so you can wait until 2 years 11 months, or 34,000 miles (whichever occurs first) to buy the extended warranty. I would not finance the warranty along with the car.
Yes, all extended warranty purchased here in Fremont Toyota, if you have never used the warranty for the duration of the contract IE: 7/100
you will get the full purchase amount of the same ! Most of people feels that though they purchased the "Peace-of-mind" but Toyota were very reliable and next purchase/vehicle replacing time they _SKIP_ the extended warranty ! Therefore we sell the warranty but with a condition:
If you never used it a "Full money REFUND guarantee" ! How is that for an peace-of-mind, INSURANCE !

·
Registered
457 Posts
What is the cost of the extended warranty on a 2004 Prius from Fremont Toyota..?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
JDavies said:
What is the cost of the extended warranty on a 2004 Prius from Fremont Toyota..?
6/75000, 6/100000 or 7/75000 or 7/100000 $50 deductible or $0 deductible ? Gold or Platinum the purchase cost differs from plan to plan and clssification such as: Gold plan or Platinum plan..

Have we had "Enough Turkey" today-the left overs !

·
Registered
17 Posts
warranty

Mr. Hirose, How much for the gold warranty with 7 yrs 1000000 miles / 0 deductible. No one else seems to have the gold for the prius, but you say that you do. So how much? Thanks

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
hyperion said:
My dealer said "no gold" available for Prius!
Hyperion is correct. But it isn't just the dealer saying it, it is Toyota corporate saying that. Gold warranties are not offered on the Prius due to the additional systems on the Prius. Gold covers mostly mechanical items and the Gold warranty would actually exclude some key systems of the Prius because they are not defined as being covered in the Gold warranty. On the other hand the Platinum warranty specifically covers the entire vehicle and has an exclusion list that is small and limited to consumable items, such as belts, wiper blades, etc. Platinum warranties do not have any mechanical exclusions, which is why it is the only one offered on Prius.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
JDavies said:
6/75000, 6/100000 or 7/75000 or 7/100000 $50 deductible or $0 deductible ? Gold or Platinum the purchase cost differs from plan to plan and clssification such as: Gold plan or Platinum plan..

Have we had "Enough Turkey" today-the left overs !
Posted: Today at 5:09 pm Post subject:
JDavies wrote:

6/75000 $50 deductible....
Reply direct of via the Prius web site.. Your choice..

Thanks,

John Davies, San Diego
2004 Prius

Hello JDavies, have been very busy, sorry that couldn't reply sooner !
Will ask the Finance and Insurance deptmnt guys to post here how low I can go on the "Full Money Guaranteed" Toyota Extra Care Warranty. Is the one you wanted ? Isn't it ? Will post as soon as possible.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Hello JDavies, have been very busy, sorry that couldn't reply sooner !
Will ask the Finance and Insurance deptmnt guys to post here how low I can go on the "Full Money Guaranteed" Toyota Extra Care Warranty. Is the one you wanted ? Isn't it ? Will post as soon as possible
"
I'm not totally familiar with the above phraseology. What ever plan extends the factory warranty to 10 yrs/75000 miles (or close to that), with a small deductable, interests me. Perhaps other owners too..
Thanks .... ~JD~

·
Registered
17 Posts
warranty

Mr. Hirose, you said that your dealership offered the gold plan for the Prius. Please answer my question or have we been duped by slick sam the salesman, once again. Hirose, you are full of it. No one should deal with this joker! Beware!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
JDavies said:
"Hello JDavies, have been very busy, sorry that couldn't reply sooner !
Will ask the Finance and Insurance deptmnt guys to post here how low I can go on the "Full Money Guaranteed" Toyota Extra Care Warranty. Is the one you wanted ? Isn't it ? Will post as soon as possible
"
I'm not totally familiar with the above phraseology. What ever plan extends the factory warranty to 10 yrs/75000 miles (or close to that), with a small deductable, interests me. Perhaps other owners too..
Thanks .... ~JD~
The longest Platinum warranty that Toyota offers is 7 years/100,000 miles (which includes the factory warranty, so the real extended warranty is for 4 additional years and 64,000 additional miles). No Toyota warranties offered past this total length and mileage.

I will repeat this again for the benefit of all. Toyota does not offer Gold warranties for the Prius. The Gold warranty is significantly more limited than the Platinum warranty. The Gold warranty is basically a major mechanical warranty. Whereas, the Platinum warranty is an extension of your factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. That is a pretty significant difference. In the case of properly covering the Prius, the Platinum is the only way Toyota could cover many of the hybrid components which the verbiage of the Gold warranty does not mention and therefore, in the strictest legal sense, does not cover.

I hope this clarifies this situation for all.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"The longest Platinum warranty that Toyota offers is 7 years/100,000 miles (which includes the factory warranty, so the real extended warranty is for 4 additional years and 64,000 additional miles). No Toyota warranties offered past this total length and mileage. "
OK got it... That coverage would be satisfactory. The big question (for me) is COST..which seems to run from reasonable to a rip off depending on the dealer. ~JD~

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: warranty

agile pagile said:
Mr. Hirose, you said that your dealership offered the gold plan for the Prius. Please answer my question or have we been duped by slick sam the salesman, once again. Hirose, you are full of it. No one should deal with this joker! Beware!
Easy there! He's a respected member of this forum, with many more valuable posts than yours.

However, it would be valuable to know if there is a 'premium' to this money back offer. Insurance on the insurance if you will.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"No Toyota warranties offered past this total length and mileage."

In California, emission-related systems (including the hybrid system) are warranted for 150,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts