Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of buying an extended warranty. In the exclusions at Toyota Financial it lists "Hybrid System Main Relays" as being excluded. This item IS NOT covered by the standard 8 year 100,000 mi hybrid warranty. I have a 2004.

Has anyone had a repair done to their car concerning this component and if so, what was the cost?

I recently had the touch screen display system replaced under warranty and I was told the component cost was $4,000. This is why I am considering getting the Platinum warranty.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That's a bullsh!t price for the MFD. The dealer is trying to scare you into buying an extended warranty.

An extended warranty is an insurance policy. Like every insurance policy it is priced to make a profit for the seller, not for the buyer. If one can keep enough cash on hand to pay for repairs then an extended warranty is a money-loser. (And if someone can't keep that much cash on hand, then they should carefully consider whether they can really afford to buy a new [email protected]).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Richard, I believe this just won't cut it with the hybrid. If the gentleman had to have his MFD replaced and they wanted to charge $4,000 let them bill Toyota for it rather than have an owner start shopping around. We have absolutely no idea on the cost of an ECU, BCU, coolant transfer pump, inverter, electric hydraulic pump and accumulator and we haven't even got to the ICE. The extended warranty on this car looks like it might be the only mistake Toyota made and will probably drain the company of a lot of it's profits on the car. That $900 dollar cost savings could very easily cost you thousands if you are planning on keeping the car past warranty and will even get you your money back on resale value as the Platinum is transferrable. I see no argument at all for not purchasing one for a hybrid unless you have targeted for just one or two years of ownership. I haven't heard of any exclusions attached to the extended.
Of course, this is just a personal opinion from someone who agrees with you on car warranties on a standard vehicle. I have owned dozens of American built cars driven for hundreds of thousand of miles for many years without the use or need for one but I wouldn't even think of owning a hybrid without one.
At least, not until I find evidence of a service department knowing more than I do about the car and how "it works."

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're right, this is like buying insurance, and insurance is a personal preference and risk tolerance decision. I purchased the extended warranty on both the 2006 Prius and my 2003 Tahoe when I bought them. I'm not a fan of warranties, actually, but I got these for about $1,000 each so not a bad investment. With the new expensive technology, my risk tolerance is low.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
OK, I am confused. Are you saying the platinum extended warranty doesn't cover the system main relays? I thought the warranty covered everything.

Yes, the hybrid warranty only covers limited components, mainly the parts that most consumers would be skiddish about: the battery, the HV ECU and the inverter. I would really doubt the relays would ever go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Speaking of what the warranty does and does not cover, is the key fob included in that? My key fob works fine locking and unlocking the car and functions properly in terms of letting me power up, but it seems the "Panic Button" which activates the automatic horn honking (so I can find my car from a distance) doesn't work. Anyone else had this trouble before?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
True enough, peace of mind is valuable, or expensive, or both :)

But it's probably true that those who set prices for the policies have a better idea of the true expectation cost (risk) than do almost any of us.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
richard schumacher said:
That's a bullsh!t price for the MFD. The dealer is trying to scare you into buying an extended warranty.

An extended warranty is an insurance policy. Like every insurance policy it is priced to make a profit for the seller, not for the buyer. If one can keep enough cash on hand to pay for repairs then an extended warranty is a money-loser. (And if someone can't keep that much cash on hand, then they should carefully consider whether they can really afford to buy a new [email protected]).
So, by your logic I shouldn't have insurance on my house either...if I can't afford to pay for it if it requires a $20000 roof repair I shouldn't own it.

Best be rid of my kids too, might not be able to afford the surgery they'll need if they get appendicitis.

come on, Insurance is insurance. Is it a bit of a gamble...yes. But in the case of a $28k car that has several relatively new, expensive, complicated parts it's not a bad gamble to spend $1000 now with the potential to save yourself $4000 later if the MFD goes out past the 3/36k warranty. Who knows if we'll start seeing a spate of coolant pump failures at around the 60k mile mark. Buying such a new model car was a bit of a gamble, the insurance made taking that gamble a better risk. And I CAN afford to repair the car out of pocket if necessary, but to me it was $1000 well spent for the peace of mind.

FWIW, I do not pay extra for extended warranties on computers, TVs, appliances, etc. They so rarely fail that even if a $1000 TV dies before it's normal life expectancy I expect that I've already saved that $1000 by not paying for the extended warranty on 8 other products that have not failed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In answer to DanMan, look at the warranty on Toyota financial web site and it does specifically excluce the system main relays. We are not dealing with an Echo here, but a very complex new technology. I have never bought an extended warranty in my life, but after having the display replaced, I am skittish. Yeah, the $4k is probably bullshit, but it certainly would more than Troy Dietrich's warranty.

I asked Mr. Dietrich about this exclusion and yes indeedy it is true. I have never heard of a failure on this and it is not enough to cause me to change my mind about (Gulp!) getting it. Just curious as to why it is excluded. Relays are generally simple eclectrcal switching devices that have been around for many years. Of course, Toyota and any other car company would use the owners need to charge outrageous prices.

Jim

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
efusco said:
So, by your logic I shouldn't have insurance on my house either...if I can't afford to pay for it if it requires a $20000 roof repair I shouldn't own it.

Best be rid of my kids too, might not be able to afford the surgery they'll need if they get appendicitis.
*shrug* Peace of mind, as you say. It's still cheaper, on average, to self-insure when one can afford to do so. Many Americans do buy more expensive houses and more expensive cars (and, for that matter, have more kids) than they can easily afford. I make the argument to remind people that they are likely to pay more overall, not less, by buying extended warranties.

·
Registered
92 Posts
mitymurph, would you mind posting a link to that Toyota financial page you found. I can't seem to find the list of exclusions you mentioned.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the cost of some of the pricier components, I wouldn't be without $1k in insurance. And it does make the car easier to sell to a private party.

What I want to emphasize, however, is the role we can play in reporting out-of-warranty repairs to a database. Not that many Gen2 Priuses belonging to Prius Online or PriusChat members have gone well over 100-150K miles yet. We're in uncharted territory with this technology to an extent (though the Gen1 does offer some guideposts), and the willingness to document what we must pay out-of-pocket will be most useful to those who face the dilemma of whether or not to buy the extended warranty in the future.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I too, rarely buy extended warranties...I have never bought one on a car...until the Prius.

The Prius had a lot of new technology, so I felt the cost was worth it.

All of this is only my personal opinion & decision. Everyone has to judge the pros & cons of their individual situations & make a decision for themselves. :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
My attitude towards insurance/warranty is simple. If the failure of an item will cost me a tons of money to repair or to compensate my loss, I will buy insurance/warranty to cover the possibility of it. In general, I don't buy insurance/warranty on appliances and electronics. If they should fail, I try to fix it myself. If I can't, I throw it away (recycle it).

So, it depends on your financial might, one may think warranty for an automobile is a waste of money if you can easily afford an ABS pump for $2000, transmission for $3000, and so on. No warranty is needed for you.

I paid $2450 for 5yr/50K ext warranty for my '98 BMW 540iA back in 2002(post OE warranty). Within two years, I have recovered my cost. (You can't imagine how RELIABLE a BMW V8 is!) And, I still have two years to go. As they say in BMW circle, don't own a BMW w/o warranty. It Breaks My Wallet (BMW). If you think automobile warranty is a waste of money, you obvious haven't been burned before. Buy a BMW V8, we will talk in 7 years.

Note: there are fine print in transfering an ext warranty to the next owner. Usually, you have to pay fee ($50-$100) and inspection ($100-$200) before they approve the transfer (assuming you have dotted your 'i's and crosses your 't's - meaning do all the maintenances). The approval is their solo decision. They can say no w/o citing a reason. In my case, they will say no since they already are losing money on my account...

I am obviously not speaking about Toyota's ext warranty per se. I am referring to my person experience with a BMW ext warranty. :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some car warranties cover just mechanical breakdown, while better warranties also cover wear & tear, and overheating.

Anyone know where the Toyota warranty stands on this?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
paul16451 said:
Speaking of what the warranty does and does not cover, is the key fob included in that? My key fob works fine locking and unlocking the car and functions properly in terms of letting me power up, but it seems the "Panic Button" which activates the automatic horn honking (so I can find my car from a distance) doesn't work. Anyone else had this trouble before?
I don't think the feature is designed to work "from a distance" any more than the unlock feature is. Both of them need to be in range, which can vary depending on battery strength and other environmental factors. If you are close enough to unlock the doors, then you are probably close enough to hear the beep. The panic feature is to alert others when you are near your car and in danger, thus in a panic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for posting that link mitymurph, I missed it the first time I looked. I wonder if the hybrid components are a recent addition. I was looking at the paper work I recieved with the Platinum plan on my car and there are no hybrid components on the exclusion list, just the usual wear and tear items.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts