Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already feel like I'm in Vegas losing my @ss whenever I walk into my dealer's showroom. I can't wait for my car to be delivered, mostly because I'm excited about the Prius, but also partly because I want to stop the (perceived) bleeding as soon as possible.

After this is over with, I'll need to have somebody check my neck for vampire marks, okay?

So here's the Dealers "hand":

There appears to be no Toyota manufacturer's extended warranty. My dealer is trying to push this Mechanical Protection Plan (MPP) for approximately $1400 (depending on my choice of deductible, etc).

It supposedly covers everything up to 6/60,000. The hybrid components would still be covered under the original factory warranty, so I'm under the impression that this MPP basically would extend the warranty on things like accessories, trim, and whatnot.

Here's the catch: Dealer wants me to "hold or fold" on closing day. I cannot say "no" now, and then offer to buy it later. It has to be purchased "with the car."

I'm EXTREMELY frustrated with a couple of things this dealer has done/not done, so I am hesitant about trusting this dealer for anything, even if it's in writing. Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
BIF said:
Here's the catch: Dealer wants me to "hold or fold" on closing day. I cannot say "no" now, and then offer to buy it later. It has to be purchased "with the car."
Do not be pressured to buy the extended warranty now.

You can buy it anytime in the next three years.

You can buy it from any dealer (even one across the country from you by phone) and it will be honored at every dealer.

There are many dealers that offer it at a better price. You should be able to purchase it for around $1000. The only reason to buy it now is to fold the cost into your car loan.

If your dealer is applying these tactics to you now, I'd be very careful and read over everything when you sign and consider getting your financing from another source.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Cybele and Michelle.

I am financing via my credit union at work...it's another half-percentage point savings. So don't worry, the dealer's not making interest off of my deal.

Plus, I don't need to or wish to roll the cost into my loan. So I will probably wait. Thanks for the good advice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Warranties

I just got my 2004, and here's my warranty purchase experience:

I had looked up the Platinum warranty per the links you'll find here, and the guy in MA quoted me $690 for 7 year/75,000. Knowing that, when my dealer asked $1400, I declined. He tried to persuade me that there are two kinds of such warranties, and that I may being offered a form that is inferior, where instead of all being covered, that I have to submit invoices for reimbursement. I think that's bull----, but I haven't researched it yet. Anyone who bought from Troy care to comment?

You can buy this anytime up to the expiration of the 3yr/xxmiles warranty, as I understand it.

THEN the guy springs another coverage available from Toyota for all required maintenance in the first 4 years. His pitch is that those will cost me $1600 plus inflation, and offers to do this for $995 up front. I bite. After driving home, I look at the maintenance manual, and for the first four years/45,000 miles, all they do is change the oil and filter, rotate tires and inspect brake pads about every 6 months or 5,000 miles; and at major intervals visually inspect lots of stuff. The only real work is replacing the motor and cabin air filters at 45,000/3 years.

Now, that doesn't seem like $995 of work to me, so I cancelled the coverage (which they allowed). I haven't asked the guy in MA what he'd sell this for--at some price, like maybe $500 or so, it would look OK, although you'd have to bring your car in 8 times.

I'm going to purchase the 7/75 coverage from MA for sure. Doing it now, at $690 looks like a good deal, especially for #9 packages.

I may be wrong (other readers please correct me), but if I get the oil and filter changed as required, and change the air filters, that's all that's really required to keep my warranty valid for the first 4 years/45,000. If the tires don't like not being rotated, tough. I hear the originals are not the best anyway, and when I replace them, they always come with free rotation whenever I want.

I hate being hostage to dealer service at high labor rates, and having to give up my car for a day for this, when I can get the oil changed in 15 minutes. I can see that for heavy mileage drivers, all the inspections may help avoid problems, but I'd guess that with Toyota quality mfg. that this vehicle will be virtually problem free for the first 4 years anyway. Then I'll get a thorough inspection. The in-between inspections are more for Toyota's benefit than mine, and should be covered. My dealer said that until this year, they were, for free.

·
Registered
397 Posts
BIF said:
I already feel like I'm in Vegas losing my @ss whenever I walk into my dealer's showroom. I can't wait for my car to be delivered, mostly because I'm excited about the Prius, but also partly because I want to stop the (perceived) bleeding as soon as possible.

After this is over with, I'll need to have somebody check my neck for vampire marks, okay?

So here's the Dealers "hand":

There appears to be no Toyota manufacturer's extended warranty. My dealer is trying to push this Mechanical Protection Plan (MPP) for approximately $1400 (depending on my choice of deductible, etc).
It looks like you've had your basic questions answered above but it should be noted that, if the dealer told you Toyota does not offer extended coverage for the Prius, your dealer is a liar.

It supposedly covers everything up to 6/60,000. The hybrid components would still be covered under the original factory warranty, so I'm under the impression that this MPP basically would extend the warranty on things like accessories, trim, and whatnot.

I'm EXTREMELY frustrated with a couple of things this dealer has done/not done, so I am hesitant about trusting this dealer for anything, even if it's in writing. Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!
Again, from what you've described here, your dealer is a scoundrel. You're considering buying the car from this person, so the purchase price must be acceptable to you. If that is the case, I would buy the car and NEVER do business with that dealership again.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moocatdog said:
.....Again, from what you've described here, your dealer is a scoundrel. You're considering buying the car from this person, so the purchase price must be acceptable to you. If that is the case, I would buy the car and NEVER do business with that dealership again......
Yes, that is exactly my plan.

I'm not even planning to give them any of my warranty work. Warranty work is a cash cow for dealerships, because it's common practice for them to overcharge the manufacturer.

We have four Toyota dealerships here in town, so I've got 3 other choices for maintenance (all closer to me, too). It's just that this particular dealership is the only one my credit union works with. Again, 1/2 percent.

And I have decided to forego the extended warranty until after I purchase the car. That way, I can shop for price/benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Toyota Prepaid Maintenance

Different than the Toyota Extra Care Platinum plan extended warranty (extended service coverage), there is the Toyota Prepaid Maintenance plans.

background information is at:
http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/prep ... index.html

MSRP for the Classic and Premium Prepaid maintenance plans:
http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/prep ... emium.html

note that the Prius already comes with 3 years/36,000 miles of Toyota Roadside Assistance (in the US), which is part of what you're paying for if you buy the prepaid maintenance plan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts