Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home with the Prius, 2005 silver BC package. Dealer wanted to sell me an extended warranty for 3 additional years (100,000) for $1950, then $1750 and he would have waved the $50 deductible too.

I am not sure if I want it since the battery is covered here in CA. for 10 years already.

What did you do?

·
Registered
81 Posts
First of all, you have 3 years or I think 30,000 miles to decide. This warranty is available from other dealers for less than $1000. One that I know of is Troy Dietrich at Toyota of Greenfield (MA). (413) 772-0231

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DAVID said:
First of all, you have 3 years or I think 30,000 miles to decide. This warranty is available from other dealers for less than $1000. One that I know of is Troy Dietrich at Toyota of Greenfield (MA). (413) 772-0231
He said the prices will increase over time, if I wait 3 years as you mentioned and I asked him that already, it is $2350 or so he said. I think I will wait though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is my first time on PriusOnline so please forgive me if I do something wrong in replying to your post.

I learned about Tony at Greenfield Toyota and am in contact with Toyota Finance about their extended warranty too! All seems promising and the best of it is that it is cheaper (so we can invest in other things for our car) and it is important to have an extended warranty. I found out how important it is to have the warranty when I had to use it just before it expired. I paid $1,800 for my warranty six and a half years ago and used it just before it expired (blown engine in 4/04, not my fault, warranty expires in 10/04) and received the fair market value of the car. Enough to repair it (new engine and labor) and the cost of car rental for the period it was down. Good Luck as we both look into the extended warranty!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
You really should shop around. Some poepl have gotten their exteneded warranty at a much less price. I think I got mine for somewhere from $830 to $1200.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian said:
You really should shop around. Some poepl have gotten their exteneded warranty at a much less price. I think I got mine for somewhere from $830 to $1200.
Guys and Gals, thank you, I will definitely wait. Brian, I pass through Orange almost every day. Where did you get yours from as we live very close to one another.

·
Registered
397 Posts
jimb said:
Just got home with the Prius, 2005 silver BC package. Dealer wanted to sell me an extended warranty for 3 additional years (100,000) for $1950, then $1750 and he would have waved the $50 deductible too.
I am not sure if I want it since the battery is covered here in CA. for 10 years already.
What did you do?
Congratulations on taking delivery of your new Prius. You are correct in that the hybrid system is covered for 100,000 miles (perhaps further in CA), so any extended warranty you may purchase will be for the applicable parts on the rest of the vehicle. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it does provide some peace of mind and could save you money if something does go wrong further down the road. In any event, your dealer is asking too much for the coverage. How do I know? Read on...

DAVID said:
I read about Troy on this board after I had already purchased an extended care plan from my dealer. I called Toyota HQ, received their assurance that Troy was legit, followed their instructions on how to cancel the first warranty, and purchased a new one from Troy for about half of what my dealer had charged.

jimb said:
He said the prices will increase over time, if I wait 3 years as you mentioned and I asked him that already, it is $2350 or so he said. I think I will wait though.
My dealer said similar things. When I met with him to discuss the glaring difference between what he was charging for the extended warranty and the price I'd found elsewhere, he was "shocked" by this and warned me that it couldn't possibly be the same Toyota-authorized Platinum-level coverage. He was wrong; I won't say he was lying, just "confused."

Should you buy extended coverage? Only you can decide but, if you do, I suggest you shop around.

Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Warranty

Did you check out "Priuschat.com"?

Go to the site, then click on "forum", in the center of the page a few lines down...7 year, 100,000 warranty for $985.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
My Toyota dealer charged me $785.00 for Toyotas Platinum warranty. He told me for the Prius he was only allowed to sell the 6 year, 75,000 mile plan listed in the waranty info. It covers everything else on the car not covered under Toyotas 8 yr, 100,000 mile plan, (Hybrid system and Battery) It was because of this "Premium" warranty on the entire car which over came my caution of purchasing something so "different." Also with the Toyota factory warranty you have little doubt about the company being there when you need them. (If ever)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Troy of Greenfield Toyota contacted me after I E-mailed priuschat.

He quoted me significantly less than $985 for the 6-year warranty you describe. The discussion above focuses on the 7-year warranty but there are others from Toyota. Also pick a maximum odometer reading you could live with in the time frame.

My wife surprised me by stating that I was underestimating the accumulation of miles on our Prius - that it is likely to be our main car. So we went with a 7/100K/$0 for $985 with Troy. My local dealer could not go below double that price.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I am going to copy some of these messages in to Word, print it out and place it in my Prius folder. When I go to buy the extended warranty, I'll be ready and...........I have now avoided buying a $1750 warranty that one family member was ready to purchase at the dealership last night. I spoke up and said "I'd really like to ask the website because there are a lot of people on there who share information" YEAH!!!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
jimb said:
I spoke up and said "I'd really like to ask the website because there are a lot of people on there who share information" YEAH!!!!!!!!! :lol:
That's what it's all about. FWIW, my extended warranty is the 7 yr./100,000 Platinum variety; I never heard anything about a six-year limit, etc.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took delivery of my Prius on Saturday, 9/18/04 from John Elway Toyota in Englewood, CO. They tried to sell me the Platinum warranty for $4250!
I didn't buy from them. I will contact Troy Dietrich at Toyota of Greenfield.

·
Registered
55 Posts
moocatdog said:
I read about Troy on this board after I had already purchased an extended care plan from my dealer. I called Toyota HQ, received their assurance that Troy was legit, followed their instructions on how to cancel the first warranty, and purchased a new one from Troy for about half of what my dealer had charged.

Is this for sure!? I have a 6-yr extended warranty I inherited from my used 04 Prius that the previous owner paid $1895 for. I'd like to cancel it and repurchase it for less.

And, wherever I buy this warranty (e.g. Troy), any Toyota dealer have to honor it, rigth??

Thanks...Brian

·
Registered
397 Posts
smtrader said:
I have a 6-yr extended warranty I inherited from my used 04 Prius that the previous owner paid $1895 for. I'd like to cancel it and repurchase it for less.
I'm not sure how to deal with a transferred warranty. I recommend you call Toyota and ask them to explain your options.

And, wherever I buy this warranty (e.g. Troy), any Toyota dealer have to honor it, rigth??
Yes, Toyota extended coverage plans are good at any Toyota dealership, whether you purchased the vehicle (or the plan) there or not. I don't know about third-party plans.

Drive happy,

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just received my 100,000/7yr/0 deductible warranty from Toyota. I bought it through Troy for $985. The whole process took three weeks:
1. Emailed Troy
2. Sent him registration and letter stating mileage
3. He called me for payment info
4. He sent me receipts
5. Toyota sent me the warranty.

The only thing that concerns me is part of the agreement states you must contact the selling dealer if you want to use it. It goes on to say if that is impossible, call an 800 number.... anyone actually use this yet?

·
Registered
55 Posts
moocatdog said:
I'm not sure how to deal with a transferred warranty. I recommend you call Toyota and ask them to explain your options.
I paid $50 to transfer this warranty to my name 2 weeks ago, so technically, it's mine now. I'll call them to see how much money I get back if I cancel. :D

Just wondering: Doesn't Toyota mind that you cancelled an existing warranty (and refunded your money), then your name and VIN appears again for another warranty but for less money? Aren't they losing money by allowing you to do this?? Why would they allow it? :shock:

Maybe this is just a dealer perk...much like allowing dealers to sell insurance? And if nothing goes wrong, they keep the whole $985!?

Brian

·
Registered
397 Posts
smtrader said:
Just wondering: Doesn't Toyota mind that you cancelled an existing warranty (and refunded your money), then your name and VIN appears again for another warranty but for less money? Aren't they losing money by allowing you to do this?? Why would they allow it? :shock:

Maybe this is just a dealer perk...much like allowing dealers to sell insurance? And if nothing goes wrong, they keep the whole $985!?

Brian
First off, No, Toyota didn't seem to care about me cancelling one warranty and immediately purchasing another. Secondly, I assume that Toyota sells the warranties to dealers at a fixed cost, allowing a dealer to gouge--I mean charge--as much above that as they can steal--I mean earn--from their customers.

Drive happy,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts