Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the extended warrantee from the dealer I got the Prius from. Paid $985.00, which I hear from the forum is a good price. I added the new car to my existing auto insurance, but when I got the bill it seemed really high. So I called Geico for a quote. Turned out they were within a couple of dollars of what II'll be paying my existing company. But then Geico mentioned offering an extended warrantee for only a couple of dollars an month (like 4 or 5), said it offered better coverage than the Toyota Platinum, wasn't so strict about exact intervals between oil changes, etc.,etc. I'm sketpical. Said send me more info in the mail. Wondered if anyone else has had any experience with extended warrantees offered by auto insurance companies

·
Registered
77 Posts
From which dealer did you get your extended warranty? Do you know if he would be willing to sell to anyone? Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Warranty

windsurfdog said:
From which dealer did you get your extended warranty? Do you know if he would be willing to sell to anyone? Thanks in advance for your response.
Here's another option, Fidelity Warranty Services 800-581-2256 x5 (m-f)
tell them refered by "JMFE Credit Union" they offer for new or used cars.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
as long as the 3rd party warranty company doesn't sell your plan, or go belly up... (several Prius owners got caught still having to pay premiums to Warranty Gold while they'd receive no benefits from the bankrupt company...)

also to consider: who submits the claim forms to the company for reimbursement? your dealer, or you?

more on the Toyota Extra Care plan here (beware southeast states - dealers don't sell the national plan there...)
http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

Where did you get your Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan from? would the dealer be willing to make the same deal to others? (always looking for good dealers to add to the above document...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
warrantee

I checked with my dealer, Casey Toyota in Williamsburg, Va., and they said they will sell the Toyota extended warrantee to whoever wants it. The person who handles this, Heidi Walker, will contact Michelle directly with details.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is there one standard extended Toyota warranty or a tiered system of them?
What warranty did you get from Casey Toyota?

I am on a waiting list at McGeorge Toyota here in Richmond and would like to get my warranty thru them obviously, but it would be nice to have another Virginia-based company as backup thru which to purchase it at a good price... and under $1000 sounds good.

I had read about the out-of-state dealers and their warranty deals(somebody named Troy in midwest), but hesitate due to the difficulty of legal recourse should something go awry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
warrantee

To Saruman: Its the Toyota Platinum extended warrantee: 7 years, 100K miles, $0 deductable, price $985.00. Check mrv's post below for a link to a site that gives all you need to know about warrantees.

·
Registered
10 Posts
****, I paid $1550 for mine after talking him down from $1900. I sure got hosed on the entire deal, good thing I love the car.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
woemcats said:
sh**, I paid $1550 for mine after talking him down from $1900. I sure got hosed on the entire deal, good thing I love the car.
depending on how long ago you purchased your plan, it may still be worth it to cancel your old plan and rebuy it at the lower pricing elsewhere... (if less than 30 days, cancelling is only the $50 processing fee. If after 30 days, refund is on a pro-rata basis by time/mileage)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts