Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Prius and was wondering if anyone knew how to determine what the colors and arrows mean on the display. For example, sometimes the icon representing the battery on the display is green, sometimes it's blue. Sometimes the arrows are green, sometimes they are orange and sometimes they are red. I looked in the manual, but it does not provide much information and is not very detailed or explicit. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
john1701a said:
There is not any real meaning to the colors. They just contrast each other really well, that's all.

The purpose of color is to reduce the need to count bars. The contrast helps achieve that.
Not true. The gold and salmon colored arrows do mean something. As I recall, the gold arrows seem to appear when the wheels are working off the synergy of the electric backup battery. The salmon arrows appear to show when we are using gas. And green, of course, means GREAT. We are coasting and generating electricity and pumping up our battery. Anyone else out there who can help us?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
becky said:
Not true. The gold and salmon colored arrows do mean something. As I recall, the gold arrows seem to appear when the wheels are working off the synergy of the electric backup battery. The salmon arrows appear to show when we are using gas. And green, of course, means GREAT. We are coasting and generating electricity and pumping up our battery. Anyone else out there who can help us?
Well, I think that John was merely trying to say that the battery colors, whether green, blue, or red/pink, really didn't signify "good", "status quo", or "bad" like one might normally infer from those colors.

There are 8 bars on the battery. When it's "empty" on the display, there might yet be up to 40% charge left. When it's "full" on the display, there may be an 80% charge, maybe more. Just because it's green, doesn't really mean "good," per se. It's just to help you see that it's one bar from the top or at the top.

Likewise, if it's red/pink, that's not necessarily "bad." It just helps you recognize that it's either one or two bars higher than a 40% charge.

As for the colors of the energy-flow arrows, those too are to help you see the energy flow without having to make note of the tiny little arrowheads while in traffic.

Green is regenerating the battery, usually from slowing down.
Yellow is discharging the battery to move the car.
Red/Salmon is using ICE to move wheels.

Green is not necessarily "good." Nor is yellow or salmon "bad." As I said, it's just to help you see the energy flow easily and quickly, without having to squint at the little arrowheads while you're merging onto the expressway! :shock:

In fact, I would venture to say "it's all good." After all, without occasional regen or ICE operation, eventually the battery would go dead. And without occasional electric assist or all-electric power (stealth), then your gas mileage wouldn't be as good as it could be, because that would mean that your ICE is doing all the work, and all of the other parts are just acting like big heavy ballast.

So don't sweat the colors, folks. You'll get used to seeing them and being able to more quickly read your MFD while in traffic. At a glance, which is as it should be, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate it. The colors don't really bother me, I just thought the colors were a code for something and meant something. I thought they would tell you and explain to you the energy source, etc so you would know for example when you are and are not on battery power. That's just one example. I just thought they had more meaning, that's all. I understand the need for colors while driving and how it makes it easier to read. What about the direction of the arrows? Does that mean anything? I am enthralled with this car and want to know as much as possible about how to use it, how to run it and how to get the most out of it. I have already scoured the manual and am now looking to online resources for some of my questions. Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Arrow directions:

From Elec. Motor to Battery - There is a net electric current flowing from the pair of motor/generators to the HV battery and/or the car's 12 volt systems. Magnitude is not indicated, could be as low as 1 amp or as high as 60 amps (not sure about the top end on the 2004 model).

From Battery to Elec. Motor - There is a net electric current flowing from the HV battery to the pair of motor/generators. Range 1 amp to 100? amps.

From Engine to Wheels and from Engine to Elec. Motor. - The gasoline engine is producing power to move the car. If Elec. Motor to Battery is also lit, some of this power is being diverted to recharge the HV battery.

From Engine to Elec. Motor, Engine to Wheels not lit - Even though the engine is not being used directly to move the car, it is being used to recharge the battery (Elec. Motor to Battery) and/or supply power to the traction motor to move the car in reverse.

From Elec. Motor to Wheels - The traction motor (motor/generator 2) is being used to move the car.

From Wheels to Elec. Motor - The traction motor is being used to slow the car down (regenerative braking, simulated engine braking).

Hope this helps. 2004 owners, feel free to correct any misunderstandings of the 2004 specific screen behavior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts