Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the discussion of how much will new batteries comes up here all the time, even though it seems we have established that few people have ever needed to replace their originals. Fewer, if any, still outside of warranty. I thought I would post this, someone on EBay is selling a battery with a claimed 42,000 miles on them and the current price is $48 (although it was just listed).
Heck at that price, I can pick up a spare! ;-) Get teh electric only switch, and keep one battery on the charger and one in the car! Just switch them out when I come home at night ;-))

Spike

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I get the joke. :lol:

However, I would be suspect about an HV battery that turns up on eBay. The battery was probably in a vehicle that was in an impact and the vehicle must have been pretty badly messed up to now be scrapped as parts. So, I'd be careful. Anyway, storing a battery around for years until the possible time you might need it probably won't work out. All batteries loose charge over time, the Prius HV battery is not immune to this. As such storing it would probably lead to a battery that wouldn't function anyway in the future.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If I guessed correctly, it's the same guy that's selling a 2001 Prius as parts. I think he has the transmission and bumpers on sale too. That Prius was a wrecked (Front end damage)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Even in a rear-end collision, the battery probably would not suffer any damage. If it did, the fuel tank was probably also ruptured. It probably would taka s side impact behind the rear door to damage the batteries.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yup, and what you were really doing with that lever was adding heat. It is like turning on the furnace when your AC is making the house too cold running full blast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts