Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be new for many of you, but i'm sure we can all relate to a story about someone just realizing their car is cooler than they thought. so forgive me as i share with you the joy of my discovery.

i just changed the doors that get unlocked when i open the drivers side door! (page 32 in the 2006 manual) i thought it was stupid that using the smart key to open the passenger door unlocks all doors, but it was not so when the drivers side door was touched. i was tired of having to manually unlock the passenger door for my girlfriend. i just changed it so that when i open the driver's side door, all the doors are unlocked. how cool is that!?

that's my story and i'm excited.

thank you

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
swedishking7 said:
This may not be new for many of you, but i'm sure we can all relate to a story about someone just realizing their car is cooler than they thought. so forgive me as i share with you the joy of my discovery.

i just changed the doors that get unlocked when i open the drivers side door! (page 32 in the 2006 manual) i thought it was stupid that using the smart key to open the passenger door unlocks all doors, but it was not so when the drivers side door was touched. i was tired of having to manually unlock the passenger door for my girlfriend. i just changed it so that when i open the driver's side door, all the doors are unlocked. how cool is that!?

thank you
Something to keep in mind though is now you have all locks activating everytime you get in and out of the car.

On my Acura (traded in for the Prius) the drivers door lock mechanism wore out and all the others stayed fine. In my case probably 90% of the trips for a car are solo, so on all those cases only the drivers door was being activated and it ultimately wore out because of that. It cost $140 in parts and an afternoon of my labor to fix, and I was glad I only had to do one door.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
swedishking7 said:
...i was tired of having to manually unlock the passenger door for my girlfriend. ...
Um... hate to burst the bubble, but, see, yer supposed to go to the passenger side, and open the door FOR the girlfriend. That has the multiple benefits of (dare i say it?) being POLITE (and earning chick points), and also unlocking your own door for you.

sigh. Even when advanced technology tries to encourage manners, we defeat it. :roll:

;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, guys. thank you for totally crushing all the excitement and joy i felt in my heart over this little discovery. where there was once happiness in my heart its now been replaced by the idea that i'm just gonna break my car faster and that my girlfriend resents the fact that i dont open the car door for her. what a bummer

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
swedishking7 said:
thank you, guys. thank you for totally crushing all the excitement and joy i felt in my heart over this little discovery. where there was once happiness in my heart its now been replaced by the idea that i'm just gonna break my car faster and that my girlfriend resents the fact that i dont open the car door for her. what a bummer
Yah, but you're driving an environmentally gentle Prius. So, you cannot be ALL bad. :) And new discoveries are wonderful things. :*

·
Registered
455 Posts
swedishking7 said:

thank you
Another potential down side to this change, and the only reason I don't make the same change as you is that my sgnificant other is rather petite and frail looking. An easy target for a street thug. On the rare occassion she is out on her own after dark, I don't want someone to be able to "piggyback" their way into the car when she comes to the driver's door. Is it a rare possibility, sure; am I willing to risk it, no.

OK, maybe I watch the evening news too much.

Spike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rats...

...now i gotta THINK....rats.

...be nice if you could control X/4 (or even 5) so you could just open the ones you want...

....hmmmm

...PD

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Spike said:
...my sgnificant other is rather petite and frail looking. An easy target for a street thug. On the rare occassion she is out on her own after dark, I don't want someone to be able to "piggyback" their way into the car when she comes to the driver's door. Is it a rare possibility, sure; am I willing to risk it, no.
Spike, that's why I don't do it. Ok, I'm no pixie, but still, I don't want someone able to get in my car when I do. Dark and scary outside is insecure enough for me. :shock:

·
Registered
457 Posts
"I just changed the doors that get unlocked when i open the drivers side door! (page 32 in the 2006 manual)"
Thats OK... go right ahead and enjoy the moment. (It's on page 30 of the 04 manual.) Wonder what I didn't get..? Maybe more YELLOW "You could get killed" warnings.. ? :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sanny said:
Spike said:
...my sgnificant other is rather petite and frail looking. An easy target for a street thug. On the rare occassion she is out on her own after dark, I don't want someone to be able to "piggyback" their way into the car when she comes to the driver's door. Is it a rare possibility, sure; am I willing to risk it, no.
Spike, that's why I don't do it. Ok, I'm no pixie, but still, I don't want someone able to get in my car when I do. Dark and scary outside is insecure enough for me. :shock:
Yeah, on her primary driver I wouldn't even consider making the change; but even though the Prius is my daily, she still occassionally drives it, rare, but still...

Spike

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
swedishking7 said:

i just changed the doors that get unlocked when i open the drivers side door!
Bravo, swedishking, it was new for me and I'm very happy to change to "All doors unlocking mode" (pg. 31 of the '05 manual).

Now when I go to open the back door to get a canvas shopping bag for groceries, I will no longer go "crap, why don't I remember to hit the unlock on the front door armrest first when I get in?", or when wifey is impatient trying to open the passenger door and sure enough, tries to do it just as I hit the armrest unlock and of course it won't work when you try to open the pass. door simultaneously.

In my area, security is not really an overriding issue (and actually don't lock doors all that much).

So, swedishking, thanks much for sharing this, but I do regret that I won't be able to pay you for such an awesome tip. Sorry. :)

Btw, thanks to whoever also shared about the auto-up driver's window feature (can't pay you either though)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.