Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear many of you talking about an EV switch to improve MPG. Is this an aftermarket purchase or does the Prius come with this switch? An explanation of what this is would be greatly appreciated by the ignorant and less informed. :)

Thanks.

Ken

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Search this site using "EV" and you will find there are several means of adding an EV switch, all discussed so you can make an informed choice.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
kente777 said:
I hear many of you talking about an EV switch to improve MPG. Is this an aftermarket purchase or does the Prius come with this switch? An explanation of what this is would be greatly appreciated by the ignorant and less informed. :)

Thanks.

Ken
It is an add on in the US. I believe it is standard in Europe and Asia. It allows you to remain in electric-only mode longer at low speeds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hep said:
kente777 said:

Thanks.

Ken
It is an add on in the US. I believe it is standard in Europe and Asia. It allows you to remain in electric-only mode longer at low speeds.
How long can you drive on battery alone before recharging is needed? And then, how long to recharge a drained battery?

Thanks.

Ken

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
kente777 said:
How long can you drive on battery alone before recharging is needed? And then, how long to recharge a drained battery?
Most people with the EV mod claim about 2-4 miles. When the battery gets too low, or you try to exceed 35 MPH, or you hit the accelerator too hard (not sure how to define 'too hard',) it will automatically engage the ICE (gas engine, a.k.a. Internal Combustion Engine,) to provide power and recharge the battery. Recharging the battery is completely automatic, no plugging in. This EV mode is just a curiosity. Used to move the car short distances without engaging the gas engine. It is not meant to replace the normal gas/electric hybrid mode.

A Plug-in Prius is a completely different beast, created by CalCars. This modification is trying to make the Prius more of an electric car with onboard gas generator. (Although it still has the 35-MPH-max limit of the 'normal' EV mode.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the EV kit from coastaletech yesterday. When I used it for the first time, I had 7 or 8 bars of energy. I only got a little over a mile when it got down to two bars (admittedly, I had to go up a hill at 30mph, so I'm sure that was a drain on the battery). If I were on flat land, I'm sure it would have lasted a little longer.

One thing I did notice was that once it got down to 2 bars, and the ICE kicked in to re-charge the battery, it wouldn't stop. Even after the bars had gotten back up to 7 or 8, whenever I tried to coast or feather the gas pedal (and would usually be able to engage only the electric motor), the gas engine would always engage. Almost like it was "stuck" in a recharging mode. When I drove later in the day (after stopping and re-starting), I didn't encounter that.

I think it's like $40. I nice little investment over the long term for driving in a shopping center, or a few "stop/go" drives between malls or stores.

I installed it myself (I'm no tech!). It was pretty easy, although my biggest piece of advice is to make sure you have the one wire pushed ALL THE WAY into the Prius' wiring harness. There are three wires - two hook to "taps" you put on Prius wires, the other is inserted into a harness. I thought it was in all the way, but it had to go in about a millimeter more before it would work. This was on the THIRD time I had to take everything apart because it wasn't "working."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts