Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now I´ve got to get this thing clear. The EV switch in U.S models of Prius, is it option or not availible at all? In sweden it´s standard in all Prius.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is not available at all from Toyota in the US. Those who have it installed have purchase an after-market device which is not supported by Toyota in the US.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
sprett said:
Any theories why Toyota don´t trust you americans to have a EV switch?
There are a multitude of theories. But the most substantial of them seems to be that the emissions control laws do not allow you to switch from one 'fuel' to another, nor do they allow you to 'alter' the emissions control system on a car. In its urgency to get the vehicle to market and the potential cost and time involved in getting such a novel device approved Toyota simply decided to leave it off of the NA vehicles.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Another lap around the track.

·
Registered
370 Posts
sprett said:
C'mon. They took one look at our President and figured that if he was the best we could do...

·
Registered
669 Posts
dgstan said:
sprett said:
C'mon. They took one look at our President and figured that if he was the best we could do...
Either that or they figured we deserved to be punished for it!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hmmm, not nice to interject politics into a thread about the EV switch, which is so totally unrelated to politics.

Why was that necessary? :?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
BIF said:
Hmmm, not nice to interject politics into a thread about the EV switch, which is so totally unrelated to politics.

Why was that necessary? :?
Mabye because we've already beaten this subject to a bloody mishapen death in similar threads. :arrow: :shock:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Melgish, sorry for driving a lap on what you consider to be your track... I didn´t know that you had made up rules for what questions that ´s allowed to ask at this forum. Sure, I could have looked around closer, but I can´t understand why you bother to read and respond to the threads if you already have all the answers?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You have to forgive melgish. He gets grumpy during huricane season.
I, more gently, agree with sprett. The fun on these threads is the give and take, and adding your own two cents worth. Reading old threads just isn't the same. Let the new posters rehash the EV switch, tire pressure, and even the stupid little snowflake light. We can read, or not, and remember the old days.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yah, about that snowflake light...

(It's about 4 months too early for that thread to reappear, though.) :lol:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
sprett said:
Hey Melgish, sorry for driving a lap on what you consider to be your track... I didn´t know that you had made up rules for what questions that ´s allowed to ask at this forum. Sure, I could have looked around closer, but I can´t understand why you bother to read and respond to the threads if you already have all the answers?
Sprett, obviously my light-hearted remarks have hit a nerve. Perhaps when you've read more of my musings, you'll learn not to take me so seriously.

I merely intented to point out--without blatently saying so--that if you'd taken a moment to use the
Search function with the term "EV SWITCH" you'd find 3 pages of threads dedicated to the answers and hypothesis relating to your questions. Immediate gratification, instead of waiting for someone else to respond.

·
Registered
319 Posts
efusco said:
sprett said:
But the most substantial of them seems to be that the emissions control laws do not allow you to switch from one 'fuel' to another, nor do they allow you to 'alter' the emissions control system on a car.
http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/9900/Jun05_00/10.htm

Now, I realize that Googling for "dual-fuel vehicles" does not delve into the mind of the EPA as to what they might have told Toyota, but to say that a gas/electric hybrid is so different than a ethanol/gasoline engine that Toyota HAD to prevent excessive battery use is just plain odd. Any zero-emissions fuel that could be used alongside gasoline would then deserve the same treatment, where one would not be allowed to excessively use the non-gasoline fuel.

I sure hope nobody puts out a better battery, because that would 'alter' the car's emissions by letting me into Toyota-controlled EV mode longer than I can do it now. EPA going to ban better batteries? Unlikely.

My pet theory: Toyota knows that EV mode will burn out the battery sooner, but US customers would be more likely to sue over it. In Europe (etc), they'll just wince and buy another battery...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
mikepaul,
they won't ban better batteries, but I bet they wouldn't approve of you putting one in you Prius.... Now, if Toyota puts a better battery in the Prius and then that's the car they present to EPA for emissions and mileage testing that's a different thing.

Plus, the real issue here is that you're trying to inject logic where a governmental agency and reams of red tape are involved. Of course it makes no sense to limit the use of something as simple as an EV button. But it's a 'policy' and heaven forbid we try to change something as critical to life on earth as a gov't policy. :shock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hep said:
The fun on these threads is the give and take, and adding your own two cents worth. Reading old threads just isn't the same. Let the new posters rehash the EV switch, tire pressure, and even the stupid little snowflake light.
Yes.

What is the snowflake light? Does it only show in winter?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes if it's 3°C or lower outside (37°F?)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts