Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Can you explain what the EV switch does? Cost? I must have missed the explanation somewhere along the line. Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
Puts your car into electric-only mode until the battery runs down. Good for short trips no more than 2 miles or for moving your car a short distance so the ICE doesn't turn on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
As Paul stated, it forces the HV to run the car in all-electric mode under strict criteria.

The car cannot exceed 34MPH or else EV disengages
The car can't get below 3 or 2 bars or else EV disengages.
Engine cannot have commenced S1 warmup stage, or else EV engagement is disallowed. EV can be engaged later.
You cannot excessively accelerate or else EV disengages. Doesn't take much for this to happen.

There are several ways to accomplish adding EV function, but they all boil down to one thing: you are momentarily grounding pin 27 of the last (bottom most) plug in the HV ECU.

1. you can add your own momentary on switch, like one you might get at Radio Shack.
2. you can use your high beam flasher as your momentary ground.
3. you can get Coastal's EV mod, which engages EV when you hold the Cruise Control cancel for over 3 seconds.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Some towns in Europe prohibit the use of motor vehicles that run on petrol, diesel or any sort of fuel. Having the EV mode allow Prius owners to travel through those towns without disturbing the peace and without killing all the lovely flowers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Some towns in Europe prohibit the use of motor vehicles that run on petrol, diesel or any sort of fuel. Having the EV mode allow Prius owners to travel through those towns without disturbing the peace and without killing all the lovely flowers.
Right :) What is the real reason? I've heard it's some law in the States that prohibits driving a car without the fuel engine on?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm serious!

As for the states' version. I don't know. It's probably the over-use of it that would lead to premature battery failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are several ways to accomplish adding EV function, but they all boil down to one thing: you are momentarily grounding pin 27 of the last (bottom most) plug in the HV ECU.

1. you can add your own momentary on switch, like one you might get at Radio Shack.
2. you can use your high beam flasher as your momentary ground.
3. you can get Coastal's EV mod, which engages EV when you hold the Cruise Control cancel for over 3 seconds.
DanMan, Are saying that I can put my US Prius in EV mode by flashing my high-beams at a particular time? When would I do this? ... immediately after Power On ? Once in EV mode, how do I come out of EV mode?

If this is so, it sounds preferable to installing a switch kit of any sort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The EV device from coastal dave is about a 15 min. install very easy , I have had mine for about 8 months it works well.
It is fun to use some time for stealth mode and you will even get asked "is that car running?"
Mostly for fun not to practical,
I think the reason we do not have it in the USA is because king GEORGE would rather have us use OIL so all his investments can make him a lot of money.
Seriously thought a company called CAL-CARS has perfected new batteries and a plug for the Prius which allowes the car to be pluged in overnight and you get the first 60 miles on battery power (up to 35 mph).
the technology is perfected but the cost right now is high , But keep a eye on them it's comming down.

AC 8)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sonwise said:
DanMan, Are saying that I can put my US Prius in EV mode by flashing my high-beams at a particular time? When would I do this? ... immediately after Power On ? Once in EV mode, how do I come out of EV mode?

If this is so, it sounds preferable to installing a switch kit of any sort.
Not as it is. You have to do a little switching around of wires to take advantage of the flasher.

For those still with questions I wrote the original article about how to put in an EV button. The article is at Priuschat and there's plenty of discussion, for the curious, about other options for taking advantage of the EV mode.

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/kb.php? ... 6afacc0e18

·
Registered
669 Posts
efusco said:
You have to do a little switching around of wires to take advantage of the flasher.
Doesn't that depend on how you're wired in the first place?:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hyperion said:
Has there been any information at all why Toyota even installed this on the European versions? The little chrome tag on my car stipulates "hybrid".
I've got it from a completely unreliable source that Toyota did this just to cause these endless EV mode discussions. It was done on behalf of the American Psychiatric Institute in order to study our reactions.

Of course, having been told this, the test is now null and void. All test subjects and equipment are to be scheduled for destruction.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
I doubt this could be the reason. Prius doesn't run far enough in EV to be practical here.

·
Registered
425 Posts
dontcheff said:
Tideland Prius said:
Right :) What is the real reason? I've heard it's some law in the States that prohibits driving a car without the fuel engine on?
New one on me. Ive lived in Europe for 45 years (i.e. all my life) and have never come a cross atown that bans cars, and I have travelled over most of Europe.

Please list these towns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts