Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
EV only

This looks like a GREAT feature. BUT, doesnt installing this kind of mod threaten vehicle warranty. Especially battery, which is 10yrs or 150K miles (in CA) ?

With this feature I (and I suspect others) would seriously consider buying a 2nd Prius, one to run around town under 35mph, EV only. There are golf cart-like EV only, being sold, that are open, dont have their own generating capability, dont have any of the amenities of a car like the Prius, for more than half the price of Prius !!

I would like to see us all make a lot of noise at Toyota & get them to make it available as a dealer installed feature in U.S., thereby preserving the warranty.

Anyone know Toyota's answer to question why it has only been offered overseas ?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Toyota warns on it's web site that modifications such as the EV button could invalidated the warranty. Some have speculated that it would be incumbant on Toyota to prove that the mod is what did the damage to the car. But getting to that point could prove time consuming and costly for the car owner.

Further, there's been discussion that installation of such a button technically is an infringement of the US Clean Air Act...though it's unlikely anyone would ever be challenged on that.

So, this is definately something to be done at your own discretion recognizing that should you have an HV ECU or HV battery failure with an EV button installed that you may be refused warranty repair and have to pay those expenses out of pocket.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
EV only

So everyone write Toyota and say "stop 'Toying' with your U.S. customers and give us EV only capability as a dealer installed option that does not affect the warranty". Here is an email address:

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
EV only

just to clarify the email address. that is a single underscore btwn the toyota and cares; like this: toyota_cares When Windows underlines an address like that it obscures the underscore and confuses everyone.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: EV only

An04Prius said:
So everyone write Toyota and say "stop 'Toying' with your U.S. customers and give us EV only capability as a dealer installed option that does not affect the warranty". Here is an email address:

[email protected]
Much like the auto-parking tool this is more than likely one of those issues that would be more trouble for Toyota to cut through the red tape on than it's worth. First they've gotta deal with the Clean Air Act and all the legal stuff and paperwork for that...and the way the law is currently written that part alone may be insurmountable without a complete rewrite of the law as something like this was not considered or anticipated at the original writing.

Listen, I think we should have it...I do have it. I also think the autopark would be great. But with the legal system and law suit happy country we have today who can blame Toyota for staying out of that quagmire?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If my battery dies, I'll be counting on that legal system to enforce my warranty. I can't see how Toyota can make any claim that it's the cause of the problem, when it's existing technology available in other countries.

TOYOTA: The damage was caused by EV switch modification
LAWYER: Explain the EV switch modification
TOYOTA: [explanation]
LAWYER: How is this modification different than the EV swtich available in European and Japanese version of the Prius?
TOYOTA: It's not any different.
LAWYER: Do you warranty the European and Japanese batteries?
TOYOTA: Yes.
LAWYER: Does using the factory installed EV switch on an European or Japanese model void the warranty?
TOYOTA: No.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just out of curiosity What the heck is the big deal. Something to show the neighbors. These cars were not designed to run on any one system by itself. From all I have read on system operation you are abusing it if you bypass the designed perimeters. Keeping the "ICE" off sounds like a gimmic to be used by a salesman in his parking lot to make you think you will be driving an electric car. You are not and what I find amusing there is absolutely no indication given to you by Toyota to even tell you when the "ICE" is running. The "MFD" does NOT give you this info. (Only shows when you are supplying something) That would be sometrhing to write to Toyota about. While your at it ask about a coolant temp guage for both the "critical" systems in the car. Not just an idiot light that says you have complete failure, STOP.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
RSnyder said:
Melgish, you're certain the warrantees (and the laws enforcing them) are identical in those European and Japanese Prius?
I am certain of nothing. I think. :) But in the legal system, certainty isn't required, IF my battery were to fail prematurly, and IF Toyota didn't just replace it, I would only have to convince a judge to see things my way.

zinzindorff9 said:
What the heck is the big deal
I had the EV mod installed so that I can use it when re-arranging our cars in our driveway, or when backing it up to get the lawn mower out of the garage. As clean as the Prius runs, it pollutes the worst during the first 5 minutes, and if I can keep the ICE off during these short maneuvers, then the entire world benefits in some tiny degree.

·
Registered
363 Posts
melgish said:
I had the EV mod installed so that I can use it when re-arranging our cars in our driveway, or when backing it up to get the lawn mower out of the garage. As clean as the Prius runs, it pollutes the worst during the first 5 minutes, and if I can keep the ICE off during these short maneuvers, then the entire world benefits in some tiny degree.
Same here, I would like the EV switch so I can play the auto shuffle without the ICE coming on.

·
Registered
363 Posts
zinzindorff9 said:
I take it you were getting the "electric mower" out.
My mower is electric. I love it. Quiet and never stalls. Not stinky. Not messy. The cord makes it a bit more difficult, but it is kind of like vacuuming the lawn.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey! I too have an electric mower for environmental reasons. Plus no need to change the oil and spark plug, and so much quieter.

I want the EV mode to rearrange cars and motorcycle, other short trips. Or even when my wife goes to work, she only works about 3/4 of a mile from work, and usually walks. But when she has to carry something, or the weather is crap - it would be nice for her to be able to drive and not use a drop of Dino juice. Or spew out the warm up gases. Plus wear and tear on the engine.

Heck, even Target, Costco & Safeway (major grocery chain) are only about 7 miles away on the back roads. Bee great to limit the Prius to electric, I would even be happy to plug it in once in a while to keep this function. Then have "normal function" for longer trips.

Spike

·
Registered
130 Posts
You know, providing on the terrain (one hill) seven miles could be just too far to go without the "ICE" I believe there are entirely "electric" cars available on the west coast, if thats what you wish. Hybrids are designed to be driven with both power sources. Neither will work without the other on the Prius. The "ICE" was designed to last as long as the electrics and the pollution while operating in the idle, charge mode, is almost non measureable. Except for the "gimmic" effect, the Prius was designed to run on one hybrid power source. By the way, I do believe it is now possible to get battery powered mowers to eliminate the cord. I've done my 3rd acre in stone, trees, plants, and bushes. Probably still use the same amount of water but the mower has been retired and the neighbors dogs pass right on by and I get mean looks from mine.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Spike said:
I want the EV mode to rearrange cars and motorcycle, other short trips. Or even when my wife goes to work, she only works about 3/4 of a mile from work, and usually walks. But when she has to carry something, or the weather is crap - it would be nice for her to be able to drive and not use a drop of Dino juice. Or spew out the warm up gases. Plus wear and tear on the engine.

Heck, even Target, Costco & Safeway (major grocery chain) are only about 7 miles away on the back roads. Bee great to limit the Prius to electric, I would even be happy to plug it in once in a while to keep this function. Then have "normal function" for longer trips.

Spike
Well Spike, the 3/4 mile is probably doable...one way, almost certainly ICE will be necessary on the return trip. You're not saving any emmissions, really, and certianly no fuel...the power to charge the battery comes from the ICE always. The EV benefit is really limited to very short trips, like rearranging cars, where the ICE would not be able to fully warm up.

7mile...no way, even if somehow you pushed it that far you'd probably damage the system.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Have some of you forgotten that the prius comes equipped with the EV button in most markets? In the markets where it isn't included, the only difference is how the pin that activates the 'EV' mode is momentarily grounded.

I will agree that it probably won't save a whole lot. In the case where the ICE has to catch up to charge the battery on the return trip, the advantage is that the warm-up waste is deferred to the return trip, instead of going through the warmup twice.
Now if going and coming are all in one continuous trip, where stopping is no longer than if at a traffic light, then there is no savings.

Even 5 minutes with the car off will cause it to go through the warmup cycle, though maybe not as long.

·
Registered
130 Posts
But in the US market where undoubatably most Priui will be sold there is no button. I think we would all agree that the hybrid package was not made to run in the battery mode alone and possibly Toyota thought that the American buyer would be the most likely to abuse the system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts