Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this but I was looking at the following site.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/ ... d=homepage

I clicked on "See the Range"; "Prius"; "Start Viewing"....
When I clicked on the "hot spot" on the lower right of the steering wheel, a window came up saying that an "EV" button can be pushed that will have the car drive in electric only. My question is: is this button is available in the US version? Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I see that the EVonly mode is not available in the US. I also called the Dealer nearby and they say the same thing. What I should have asked is why not here in the US? Does Toyota think that US drivers will just run the battery to zero?? Or is this a US mandate? Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the UK specs also lists 195/55R16 for the tire size.

But as far as the EV ONLY button goes, do you think that the wiring harness is in there behind the dash or do you think that the computer for the vehicle would have to be programmed for it to work? Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
466 Posts
EV only mode in the US

I've heard that Prius was not certified as an Electric Vehicle in the US,
therefore Toyota could not provide the EV mode button on US models.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Equipment not on US vehicles?
Doesn't matter if it's a Porsche or a Kia.
TOO MANY LAWYERS.
Lloyds of London couldn't underwrite the potential liability of Park Assist (IPA)!

·
Registered
1 Posts
EV only mode in the U.K.?

I found out on http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota ... =590441024

"For the first time in a hybrid car, the driver can use the EV (Electric Vehicle) driving mode simply by pressing a button on the dashboard. This allows the exclusive use of the electric motor to power the vehicle, producing zero emissions and very low noise ideal when city commuting. The EV driving mode can be used for up to 1.25 miles with a maximum speed of 30mph"

This is ideal for a trip to the village high street from three blocks away, but not too useful here in California. I'll stick with the computer-controlled Hybrid.

Mike___

1 - 8 of 8 Posts