Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I invite fellow Prius owners (and wannabes like me) interested in full EV mode to visit the Ford Escape Hybrid website http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybri ... asp?bhcp=1 and click on the Read More link and then read up on the Full vs Mild discussion in the Technology Focus section.

My interpretation is that Ford intends to enter the hybrid market with a vehicle that can operate in EV mode at slower speeds. If so it will be interesting to see how that will affect Toyotas attitude towards EV mode in the US. It has always struck me as strange that the Prius supposedly has EV mode in Europe and Japan(?) but not in the states.

I have seen a number of posts over on the Yahoo Prius Groups inquiring about full EV mode. For much of the local driving I do in my community I'd like to see such a feature in the Prius.

Is Ford blowing smoke?

Comment?

Chuck

·
Registered
29 Posts
i read those other posts, and someone reported or suggested, that the "ev" mode could lessen servicable battery life ( due to the level of discharge). if there is any accuracy to that, then i will gladly sacrifice the small benefit of an "ev" mode button for the longer lasting battery.

i hope to keep this car till the cows come home

sid

·
Registered
56 Posts
Chuck said:
My interpretation is that Ford intends to enter the hybrid market with a vehicle that can operate in EV mode at slower speeds.

Chuck
Chuck,

I read the article and interpreted the "slower speeds" to mean the same thing as "stealth mode" for the Prius. At slow speeds the Prius can be powered solely by the electric motor too. I doubt Ford will be providing the EV mode we hear so much about from our British Prius owners, though it would be nice. :wink:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree with Behmon, "EV mode" does not mean "EV button". EV mode was already implemented on the 1997 Prius... :wink:

ses, I don't think it's true that EV button will lessen battery life, because the system always prevents deep discharge in any case. You NEVER use the total charging/discharging battery capacity even with the EV button.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't believe the Prius really needs an EV button. When the Prius is warmed up (usually about ten minutes), the Prius can easily go into EV Mode at under 42 mph (typical city driving).

An easy way to run in EV mode is to get up to city cruising speed that is less than 42 mph. Then slightly feather foot the pedal (let up and lightly re-apply pressure) and it runs solidly in ev mode. I have gotten between 60 - 65 mpg using this simple technique in the city. And this is for several miles. It's a simple technique that works fantastic.

Why have an ev button which is nothing more than riding a bike with training wheels? :) The beauty of the Prius is that the computer handles the balancing act between the gas engine, the electric motors, and the battery. And at less than 42 mph, it can easily run in EV mode/Stealth mode, because the Prius is not a light hybrid vehicle. Very simple.

That's good news if the Ford Escape will be a full hybrid, similar to a Prius. While the Ford won't get the mileage that a Prius can, it has other things to offer for those that feel the need for a sport ute that can do some mild off roading.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ditto me on that last paragraph, Pete. I'll keep my '91 Exploder going as long as I feel I can throw money at it, meanwhile let others put a year or two of "road testing" on the production model Escape hybrid. If I like what I see, then that's the one for me.

Henry

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't see a big advantage to the "EV" button. Next thing you know people will want a plug to charge the car overnight! The point of the Prius design was, after all, to make a high-efficiency, low emission vehicle that behaves completely like a conventional auto. Why reintroduce such complexities?

Steve
Portland, OR
2002 Brilliant Blue
35100 miles

·
Registered
466 Posts
petej88 said:
I don't believe the Prius really needs an EV button. When the Prius is warmed up (usually about ten minutes), the Prius can easily go into EV Mode at under 42 mph (typical city driving).
stevewa said:
I don't see a big advantage to the "EV" button.
EV button is designed for following situations even if engine is cool and needs warming up.
- To drive in a quiet residental area early in the morning or late at night.
- To do little move your car at parking lot or garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts