Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Lots of threads on this. PC has an article in the KB I believe on how to make a mod yourself using either the flash function of the headlight combination switch, or a button of your own. Another article discusses installing the OEM EV button, including connecting the button's lamp to the dimmer.

Also threads are available about the usefulness of the EV. For the most part, it is just a fun feature to show your friends and demonstrate that the car CAN and DOES move without ICE. However, the range is extremely limited, and the conditions it will stay in are narrow as well. Ususally excessive use of EV would hurt your mileage, since all electric power has to come from gasoline via the ICE, one way or another, and energy conversion is never 100% efficient. Battery storage we figure is about 50% efficient, which means for every watt you take out of the battery, it takes 2 watts to put it back. However, there are some situations that using EV can be a good strategy, especially when you want to burn off excess electrical energy in anticipation of a long downhill. I have had a situation where for some reason the Prius would not shut the engine down when driving through a development at 15 MPH. ICE is very inefficient at that speed, and my travel through the development is very short, so I forced EV there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.