Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed Coastal Tec's EV mod and whenever I force it into the EV mode it will go into the EV mode without any problem. But then when it has been in the EV mode long enough so that the ICE comes on line it will continue to drain the battery sometimes until there are 2 pink bars before it starts charging the battery.
I would think that once the ICE comes on line and the battery is down to 3 or 4 bars it would charge the battery instead of using the battery along with the ICE.
Anyone else experience this situation?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well, a gasoline engine makes more pollution while it's cold. So it's best not to put a heavy load on it until it's warmed up.

Anyway, if you're frequently running on EV until the engine starts, you're probably not using the feature as originally intended. It may make you happy, but its not saving you gas or reducing your emissions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't use the EV mode very often, sometimes at start up and then if I am in a parking lot. The same thing happens when the car is cold and when it is hot.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That's not an anomaly, it's a function of the system's ability (or rather inability) to monitor the battery's actual SOC with precision in real time. When using EV you're putting a relatively greater demand on the HV batt than usual and once it 'kicks out' and there's time for the SOC to be recalculated it's usually lower than the prior estimate.

Also, when EV kicks out that doesn't meant that the ECU won't still want/need to use more power from the battery further draining it and lowering the observed SOC.

I try to avoid letting EV mode 'kick out' b/c of the level of the SOC for that very reason. IOW, if it's clear that I'll drop the level below 3 bars for the distance I intended to travel in EV I'll just tap the EV button and disengage EV mode to allow the ICE to recharge.

I don't, necessarily, think letting the SOC drop as you observe is bad, but it's usually unnecessary and I don't want to shorten my battery life any more than necessary.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't think we are getting the full picture of the scenario.

1. Under what conditions (why) did it drop out of EV? Was the SOC low, or did you accelerate out of it, or did you manually turn it off?

2. When you didn't see the SOC rising, were you driving, or parked?
What was the energy flow showing?

·
Registered
370 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I don't think we are getting the full picture of the scenario.

1. Under what conditions (why) did it drop out of EV? Was the SOC low, or did you accelerate out of it, or did you manually turn it off?

2. When you didn't see the SOC rising, were you driving, or parked?
What was the energy flow showing?
This has happened to me a couple times as well. I'll be driving in EV mode and reach 34 MPH at which point the ICE kicks in and I hear the bee-bee-beep. You can see that the ICE is on by looking at the Energy screen (which is displayed since you were originally in EV mode). You can feel it as well - I know it's running. When the ICE kicked in, SOC was 6 bars.

I'll be happily driving down the road and a few minutes later, I notice the SOC is at 2 bars. It's as if the ICE never really took over. This has occurred on surface streets where I never reach high speed.

My theory is that once I go over 34, the ICE will start, but since I never went faster than the next "Magic Prius Number" (41 MPH, isn't it?), the software didn't tell the ICE to be the primary power source - it's just running in warm-up mode.

Anyway, that's my theory. Regardless, vmbosik is not imagining this.

DGStan

·
Registered
508 Posts
dgstan said:
Regardless, vmbosik is not imagining this.
DGStan
Yup. Same here. I coast in Stealth out of the parking structure at work every day, then nail the accelerator at the traffic light at the gate exit. That kicks on the ICE, but a mile or so later, I notice I have an unusually low SOC, which resolves itself over the next few miles.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
" I'll just tap the EV button and disengage EV mode to allow the ICE to recharge. "

This does not work with Dave's mod. The only way I can get it out of EV mode is to stomp the gas pedal.

I've noticed this low-bar phenomenum, too, so I usually stomp it out of EV before that happens.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
KTPhil said:
" I'll just tap the EV button and disengage EV mode to allow the ICE to recharge. "

This does not work with Dave's mod. The only way I can get it out of EV mode is to stomp the gas pedal.

I've noticed this low-bar phenomenum, too, so I usually stomp it out of EV before that happens.
I could be wrong but I think holding the cruise on cancel for 2 secs will disengage it as well.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That's what I was thinking, but then I thought it might not for the same reason CC no longer worked below 35MPH with the beta version of the mod.

I was just going to ask: how many of you experiencing this symptom have Coastal's mod?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hmmm, I was able to get out of EV mode holding it down yesterday... but not the day before! I'll try again today. Weird!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts