Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm proud owner of a 2006 Prius and will go back home (France) within the next 8 months or so. I wonder if I can import my Prius without having to do modifications to the car, especially seat belts and lightnings?
Thanks for the help
Julien

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Julien!

There are quite many imports from US cars to Europe, I also recall a few Prius.

Since the Prius is not a specific US car the needed modifications might not be that extensive. Front lightning will definitely need to be changed since European headlights are asymmetric.

I think it is best to get into contact with your local authority for car registration (local TÜV in Germany or the local government authority in Austria) which will give you exact information.

Also important:
Since many European countries have taxes according to fuel consumption and/or emissions it is necessary to declare the values for the Prius according to EC testing. EPA ratings won´t help a thing.

Walter

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
also note that if you have the factory Navigation on a NHW20, even with a European map DVD you will not be able to use the navigation. (for some reason, they're incompatible...)

There are many differences between a North American spec and a European spec Prius, such as the bladder fuel tank, CHHS (thermos tank), and more stringent emissions system on the US Prius, and the 16" wheels and European suspension on the European Prius... So you may want to plan ahead should you have some need for repairs.

Although it'll be more expensive to you when you move, I'd probably suggest buying a Prius in Europe when you get there, and sell your US Prius before you leave. Resale price/timing is pretty good in the US, but not so great in the EU...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.