Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that's Tuesday morning. :D Assuming it arrives on time. I have the VIN #.

Oh, how I wish I could check its shipping status like you can with a FedEx or UPS package! :(

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I actually did try to find a "VIN lookup" thing on the web to see if/when/where in transit my Prius is.

But I don't think such a thing exists. <sigh> :?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Order tracking is possible in Australia

I stumbled upon Prius Australia's order tracking site. If they can track Prius orders, Prius North Amercia could, if they got their sh-- together.

I got my Silver #9 two days ago, after 117 day wait. The wait would apparently have been longer if I hadn't spent time on the phone asking about when. At 104 days they said maybe 1-2 months more. Then they tried harder and came up with one (not my first color choice) that came in via a different area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh, yeah...exactly what I had assumed, Hinalea. Somebody's got to have already set up an online distribution-tracking system for cars. After all, if we already know a car's VIN even before the car has been assembled, then it's obvious we think SOMETHING is worth keeping track of in the factory......well......why not be able to track it while it's on the car carrier?

In fact, let's go one step further! I want to be able to log on to my local Toyota Dealer's tracking website, and pull up my new car's location superimposed on a MapQuest map. Show my car with a little flag on the map as the ship trundles through the ocean waves, or as the car carrier rumbles its way across the highways and biways of the US! :)

Come on, it's 2004! We can do this, yes?

Oh well, in a few days, it won't matter anymore. Er, well....not to me. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the USA, anyway, you don't get to order a specific Prius

One thing I forgot: in the USA, you don't get to order a specific car. You only get to get a place on a waiting list as a basis for parceling out the cars that do come in. If you're lucky, that's done fairly.

The odd part is that it does appear Toyota Australia is allowed to order specific vehicles and track their progress. This may be true, or an illusion to stroke their customers--perhaps someone from Australia might comment.

I don't like the USA system because it opens the door to corrupt practices in shortage situations. I can see the advantages for Toyota, of course. I do think all of us Prius buyers are fortunate that Toyota is trying so hard to keep the price moderate.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...only about 40 hours to go (depending on when I get the call)...

tick-tock!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my car was supposed to arrive on the 27th. But no car yet. They're trying to find out where it is. They have a general idea...they think it's somplace between Florida and ....... JAPAN!! :x

So, I'm being patient. :evil:

..er, well, as much as possible, anyhow! :roll:

/begin teaser mode/
So in the meantime, I will post a question about hydrogen. Because I think there's a "dirty little secret" that's being conveniently ignored/not discussed by the media and the energy suppliers.......
/end teaser mode/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bif, dont worry too much about your car, you'll have it soon. "A watched pot never boils." - Elizabeth Gaskell . If they called you about it, its at least in the Continental US right? So its really only actually lost somewhere in the US, not Japan->Florida.

As for hydrogen, its in the works; but theres no consumer distrubution system in place yet, but its going to change. http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:jzoTl5hMvkoJ:www.salonmag.com/tech/wire/2004/04/20/hydrogen/ "If you build it they will come." - Field of Dreams. Hybrids are getting all the hype right now because your supposed to be able to buy one today. In other words they're viable today, not six years from now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If they called you about it, its at least in the Continental US right?
Not true, not true. My dealer told me what day my car would be in at the port in Houston, how long they anticipated the trip through customs, and when they expected it to be at their door. That initial call was about a month out, and they were pretty close.

- Linda

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lasrx said:
...If they called you about it, its at least in the Continental US right?
Actually....they didn't call me about it. I always have to be the one to call them! They've been AWFUL about returning calls. I so badly want to say their name, but I know that some will think it's sour-grapes or something. I suspect they know their deal with me is good (ie; I'm good for the money), and they've basically already sold me the car (I'm unlikely to back out at this late date), so they don't need to return my calls or give me an occasional status. :(

But to be completely fair, I do have to say....I'm still driving their new loaded Camry around. It's a cushy ride. I got the car with just over 100 miles. Even if they called me first-thing in the morning, there's no way I can return their car with anything less than 650 miles on the ODO. Heh! :twisted: Er...in my defense, I've kept it clean and shiny, left the paper floor mats down, and I have already filled the tank in anticipation of getting that call.....

lasrx said:
...As for hydrogen, its in the works; but theres no consumer distrubution system in place yet, but its going to change....
I certainly hope so, but I am dismayed by what I perceive to be "all talk/no walk". Two test cars for Orlando? Is this a joke? I realize we have to start someplace, but I really want to see more actual progress, and fewer government or media-issued platitudes. Sheesh, it's a wonder that all that hot air hasn't ignited all that hydrogen!

Furthermore, why can't we be making progress on other types of fuel cells, like the kind you can install in your home? I know of a few companies out there in the business, but so far, nobody is making an affordable and effective product that droves of people would be willing to pay actual dollars for.

And to me, that is the kiss of death for any enterprise.

<sigh> Maybe I'm just impatient. I'm going to go meditate and do some "ooohhhmmms" now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts