Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take my Prius to a full service car wash. The kind where you get out of the car and let the attendants do it all.

I asked if they ever had a Prius before and the guy says "Oh, yea, I know all about these". He gets in and just stares. I tell him, just put that knob in D and drive on in. He does and then I watch as he tries to get out and the car keeps inching forward. I'm chuckling by now.

I walk up to him and tell him how to get it in neutral. He says he doesn't trust it and decides to "ride" through in the car.

I go on into the lobby to pay and they have those big windows so you can watch your car being washed. At the other end, I see them "pushing" my car outside to dry. I went out and asked them if anything was wrong and they said they couldn't get the engine to start.

It made my day to have such entertainment. Makes me want to pull other hijinks like, drop the car off at a valet parking and walk off with the SKS. Or just walk off and wonder how long it takes them to figure the car out.

Of course, while I am chuckling, they will probably do something that messes the car up. Oh well, lose a car, get a check. Life is too short to not enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'm a little too anal about my vehicle to just let somebody mess with it like that. It isn't all that different to operate than any other vehicle. In fact it isn't all that different to operate compared to your average Play Station. If you have used a joystick on a game console or computer, you know how the shifter works on the Prius.

Funny but scary car wash stores are pretty frequent around here. Why the full service places need to have you put it on the rack is beyond me. I go through one every now and then (when I'm feeling lazy) and they let you drive through in your vehicle, which works out great because I keep control over the vehicle and I get a fairly good wash job all at the same time.

It's kind of stupid to think that owners can't put their own vehicles in neutral and let them ride through.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would probably suspect that full car washes won't let you ride through, because of insurance reasons.

The car wash I go to has one guy who is in charge of the Prii (lot of them around here). He will be called over when they see my car and will ride in the car during the wash. I have been to a few car washes when I first got my car, that I no clue what to do. This place really is concerned with the owner and the car and does an excellent job.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've used general suspiscion about what might happen encourage me to get a modicum of exercise while washing my own car!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am too lazy and never at home to wash my own car. Plus I live in a highrise and I would have to go to my parents house or to a friends to wash the car.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Problem with having the car in neutral while in ready is that the battery can be drained to shutdown. Better to be in Ig-On to put into neutral.

But then they may get an Ig-On hang, which can drive one crazy not experienced to get out of it: power off without brake.

·
Registered
919 Posts
In the car wash I use, I just put the car in P and wait the 3 minutes of spray wash (no brushes). Frankly, I'm still not sure when N is advisable. The only times I've been in N is when I've shifted accidentally into it when reversing out of my driveway.

·
Registered
928 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Problem with having the car in neutral while in ready is that the battery can be drained to shutdown. Better to be in Ig-On to put into neutral. . .
Um, just exactly how long does a car wash take that it can drain the battery using less than 500 watts to power the accessories????? The HV battery can certainly go longer than the 12V battery anyway, so Ig-On would be a worse choice if battery drain is likely.

Methinks your paranoia is getting the best of you. Leave it in Ready + Neutral. Unless you're down to two bars when you pull in to the car wash. Then you might want to sit in P for a while to recharge before entering.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
RSnyder said:
Um, just exactly how long does a car wash take that it can drain the battery using less than 500 watts to power the accessories????? The HV battery can certainly go longer than the 12V battery anyway, so Ig-On would be a worse choice if battery drain is likely.
At our local car wash, they hand wash the car right before it goes down the conveyor for rinse / wax, then gets a rub down on the other end.

Add up all three of those phases and it can (and has) easily go from 6 bars down to 2. So if you start at say 4. you could be looking at a shutdown situation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jeromep said:
I'm a little too anal about my vehicle to just let somebody mess with it like that. It isn't all that different to operate than any other vehicle. In fact it isn't all that different to operate compared to your average Play Station. If you have used a joystick on a game console or computer, you know how the shifter works on the Prius.

It's too bad that UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-B-A-SELECT-START doesn't give you unlimited gas mileage. ):

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
melgish said:
RSnyder said:
At our local car wash, they hand wash the car right before it goes down the conveyor for rinse / wax, then gets a rub down on the other end.

Add up all three of those phases and it can (and has) easily go from 6 bars down to 2. So if you start at say 4. you could be looking at a shutdown situation.
Wow. I'm guessing you leave the A/C on, then... Try it with the A/C off. I have NEVER seen my battery drain that much in one sitting. (Then again, my local carwash, which does do the pre/post treatment, doesn't take more than 15 minutes...)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Just be careful. There have been numerous reports (even from Classic owners) of valets/car attendants getting out of the car with it still in Drive, and the car goes rolling... (several close calls with cars about to hit objects or go into a busy street...) With the 2004+ Prius, it's not uncommon to hear stories of a Prius not turned off for the entire duration in the attendant's property...

·
Registered
928 Posts
melgish said:
RSnyder said:

You should only be in Neutral for the conveyor phase. The other two (probably the bulk of the time) can and SHOULD be in Park.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seven7 said:
It's too bad that UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-B-A-SELECT-START doesn't give you unlimited gas mileage. ):

I think most people in this forum are too old to appreciate that one. :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
huberc said:
Seven7 said:
HEY!! SOME of us aren't too old for video games. :p (just don't ask me which one that applies to. Mario?)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sanny said:
huberc said:
Seven7 said:
HEY!! SOME of us aren't too old for video games. :p (just don't ask me which one that applies to. Mario?)
Oh, I thought it was PacMan!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
BIF said:
Could be, but I figgered that was TOO far back! :) you know, they wanted to call that PuckMan to begin with? Changed, for obvious reasons. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
BIF said:
Sanny said:
huberc said:
Seven7 said:
I am really old, I was thinking Bossa Nova.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Sanny said:
huberc said:
Seven7 said:
I hope you mean back when Mario was off battling with Donkey Kong. I could never get used to him with the mushrooms and pipes and stuff on his newer game(s).

·
Registered
35 Posts
car wash drains battery

It happened to me today. I took my 04 Prius to the valet car wash. The manager was the only one who knew what to do, so he took it through the wash (the regular workers couldn't figure out what to do, so they got the manager). I saw them hand wash the car, and then saw it go through the auto wash part, and then out for the detailing. I started with 6 or 7 bars, and was shocked when i got in and saw "pink" for the first time...only ONE bar! The car moved when i got in, but it sputtered a bit. I took it out on the road and instead of going the short way home, went the long way so I could charge it up. In 10 minutes of driving it went from one pink bar to 8 green bars. DOES THAT SOUND REASONABLE? then it worked its way down to the regular 5 or 6 bars of blue. I have to tell those guys to put it into neutral to save battery, yes? I was a bit worried needless to say when I saw pink.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts