Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an extension of the post regarding A/C, heating, defrosting...

Driving with the window open at low speeds in lieu of using the defroster which engages the A?C compressor is a strategy that could save gas. Driving with the window open disrupts the aerodynamics and increases drag, especially at higher speeds. There will be a "breakeven" speed below which better economy is achieved with defroster off and window open. So now the technogeek has to drive at slow speeds with his window open and roll it up and turn the defroster on at "THAT" speed which varies depending on things like dewpoint, ambient temp, temp in the car, number of passengers, how hard are they breathing, insolation (sunlight not R-Values), dry vs wet bulb temps, and a host of other things which might or might not include coriolis effect. Can the technogeek operate a sling psychrometer with sufficient skill while driving to determine the RH with sufficient accuracy on which to base his informed decision?

Gee, I just didn't know how difficult driving a Prius might be and this is just optimizing the use of the defroster. Think of all those other aspects of driving green like excessive turn signaling (electrical consumption is gas consumption in a Prius). Earphones require less electrical power than a bunch of speakers so there is a way to save gas. Carying less weight is a sure fire gas saver and since most times cars have no more than two occupants you could remove the back seats. Got AAA, remove the spare and let AAA take care ot the tire problem. A couple CCD cameras could replace the external mirrors and reduce drag. You could carry a compressed air horn (like used to cheer at games) to use in place of the horn (electrical savings is gas savings). Lighted vanity mirrors? Think how much more romantic candles woud be!

Studies have shown that cars with hot outer surfaces have less skin friction (a component of aerodynamic drag) so painting the car flat black to maximize solar heating might be a consideration for increasing mileage. Of course this only works in daylight hours so driving should be restricted to daytime whenever possible but this has additional benefits of not wasting gas making electricity to run the lights (inside or out.)

I have just scratched the surface of the topics that could be discussed which relate to increasing gas mileage in a Prius. Once you fully internalize the mantra "electrical savings is gas savings" whole new vistas of fuel economy present themselves and saving gas by saving electricity is just one small aspect of the big picture. Continuing on the electrical side... if you tune your radio (more energy conservative than CD or cassette) to a strong station it will consume less power because it won't have to amplify the weak signals so much in the RF and IF stages prior to detection and audio amplification. This could also broaden your appereciation of multiculturalism when the only strong stations might be any of a numbr of foreign language broadcasts or those intended for specific ethnic groups. There is more to synergy than just transportation propulsion available in a Prius.

As I have just scratched the tip of the iceberg and since, once attuned to opportunities, energy conservative opportunities abound, and since this sutff isn't rocket surgery, jump right in and add to my puny list. :D

Pat :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi PatrickG:

___Instead of all the high tech whiz bang gadgets that one could use to enhance fuel economy, has anyone considered simply using the (2) low tech features that most humans have available to them? These 2 standard features are otherwise known as the brain and the foot ;)

___Of course the game gauge, higher then OEM recommended tire pressures, and 100% Synthetic oil can help a little as well

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1uibwoo4][email protected][/email:1uibwoo4]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ahhh, patrickg, I so enjoyed reading your tongue in cheek post regarding ultimate energy conservation measures as applied to the 2004 Prius.

Over on the Yahoo forums I see so many posts dealing with the minutae of mpg, ac on/off, windows open, tire pressure, aerodynamic tweaks, etc, blah,blah blah. Monks arguing over population density on the head of a pin. They are so focussed in on the minor details that they are missing the underlying battle that has begun!.

It all reminds me of the ongoing and losing battle between Mac and PC lovers. PC lovers aka MS Windows users in general enjoy a 95% market share and Mac has about a 2 or 3 % share.

The hybrid auto market as exemplified by Toyota and Honda probably has less than a 1% marketshare today.

IMHO, the difference between hybrid systems and conventional "Detroit systems" is one of market timing and common sense technology. Toyota, and to a lesser extent Honda, has a seven year jump over their competitors. Detroit is very reluctant to let go of current technology and is focussed in long term on hydrogen as an alternate fuel but will come in next year with some stopgap hybrid systems. IMO, Detroit is making a similar mistake that Apple/IBM made back in the early 80's.

Detroit 2004 = Mac/IBM 1980 , Toyota Prius/Hybrid 2004 = MS 1980

Who is going to win? Obvious to me.

Whew, a bit of a rant here. Anyone care to chime in with their opinion or direct me to a more appropriate forum? I have strong opinions about Mac and Prius. Both positive. Negative towards MS and Detroit.

Chuck

The time spent sailing is not deducted from ones life.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chuck, Yet another reason to like you. Yes, there are two kinds of pleasure boats, yachts and motorboats (AKA stinkpots) The original definition of Yacht involved having sail propulsion.

I have long thought that arguments regarding the polulaltion density of angels dancing on the head of a pin could be settled empirically with a loupe or microscope.

The cognoscenti among programmers used to say "segments are for worms." This referred to the Intel 8086 (and its progeny the 186, 286, ... Pentium) with a segmented memory access architecture which was convoluted and needlessly complicated especially when compared to the 68000 family of Motorola (arch rival of Intel and derivatively its fellow traveling Gatesians) Motorolla had the clearly superior technology BUT when IBM caught on and became the defacto PC standard sweeping everyone else away (remember Compact Heath/Zenith, Commodore, etc.) The market went with the IBM logo not with the superior mousetrap.

A friend of mine and I each made similar assessments and bought UNIX based home computers with Motorolla CPU. Mine cost $6000 in 1985. I gave it away to charity prior to 1990. It was superior hardware technology but not maistream and had little software availability after IBM (and clones) became the hardware standard with Microsoft on the software side.

The moral of the story and connection to cars in general and Priii in particular... Irrespective of which technology is theoretically superior, the technology that produces the most units and takes the market share will prevail for a time even if the product is inferior. US automakers are liscensing Toyota hybrid technology. Toyota dropped the "Toyota" from the name of the hybrid technology calling it Synergy to make it more palatible to the US makers. Better to have and drive a hybrid during this historical epoch than to drive a conventional (old technology) car and flap your gums about the superiority of fuel cells. Waiting for fuel cells instead of embracing an available advanced technology is like trying to bail the Titanic with a thimble. You are well intentioned but ineffective.

Similarly, most of the effort to get 57.0001 mpg instead of 56.9999 mpg is an incredible waste of effort if judged for practicality, tatamount to trying to bail out the Titanic with a thimble. There are always holier than thou types who will try to prove their self worth by trying to get everyone else to embrace their particular view of religion and sometimes the holy grail for that religion is MPG. Be warry of anyone who shows symptoms of cult mindset often indicated by telling others to do what they do for the reasons stated by the would be cultist.

Thou shalt not buy a Prius unless thou buyest the Prius for only the reasons that I say are pure and holy. Thou must not use thy Prius in an unholy manner. Thou shalt drive thy Prius only while holding the mindset that I prescribe as holy. Sound vaguely familliar? Zealots should be just tickled to see lots of Prii on the road even if driven by infidels. A poorly driven Prius has a better environmental impact that a lot of the other possibilities.

If the Apple analogy is to be complete then a member of the US automaking establishment needs to sue Toyota for some US technology dreamed to have been "borrowed" by Toyota. After all, Apple sued Microsoft for stealing/infringing their icon/mouse interface. Really funny when you consider that the Apple kids (the Steves, Jobs and "The Waz") took a tour of PARC (Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center) where they first saw the "mouse" and Icon interface. Essentially they stole the idea from PARC and then sued IBM for using something like it.

I have always thought Apple had a superior interface and sometimes superior hardware power. I'm sure somewhere someone has designed AC outlets and plugs superior to those in use in the US but if you can't plug it into a standard outlet, so what! It is a shame that Apple didn't win with its superiority of functionality but it didn't so you get over it and do what works. Same thing with cars. Toyota Synergy works so use it. When/if better comes along revisit the decision process.

Pat

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chuck:

___Would you mind telling us what MSs share of the DT OS market was in 1980 vs. Apples and then again for the year 2002? Afterwards, I think Patrick can give us some neatly written prose as to why many misguided souls have been led astray by the evil mind-controlling giant from the land of Redmund ;)

___I am a big MS fan so if I stepped on some toes here, sorry As for the Prius, I can only hope they drop the HSD into automobiles that the rest of the world can afford instead of just those that can purchase a $20,000 to $27,000 automobile without a thought. Oh well, maybe next time.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:qr30kryo][email protected][/email:qr30kryo]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Patrick,
I'm growing more fond of your entertaining and wildly divergent posts with each passing day. They can be a bit long-winded but I guess that comes with those blah country days. ;-) Anyway, thanks for sharing the insights of your interesting experiences and background. However, when you write:

Thou shalt not buy a Prius unless thou buyest the Prius for only the reasons that I say are pure and holy. Thou must not use thy Prius in an unholy manner. Thou shalt drive thy Prius only while holding the mindset that I prescribe as holy. Sound vaguely familliar?
I have to categorize this as urban-myth. Perhaps I'm blind to it, but I haven't seen any signs of this type of proselytizing.

You also wrote:
After all, Apple sued Microsoft for stealing/infringing their icon/mouse interface. Really funny when you consider that the Apple kids (the Steves, Jobs and "The Waz") took a tour of PARC (Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center) where they first saw the "mouse" and Icon interface. Essentially they stole the idea from PARC and then sued IBM for using something like it.
Here's a link to an article that disagrees with that telling of the story:

http://library.stanford.edu/mac/parc.html

Honestly, I do enjoy your posts and I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just thought I'd throw in my two-cents worth.

Moo :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Moo, It is fun to stir the pot sometimes and to poke a little fun. I enjoy being the subject of a good roast (roastee) almost as much as I enjoy being the roaster if it is done well. I try to never attack a person but feel free to attack ideas, arguments. or statements. Sometimes going over the top by a good margin tends to shake up the status quo and makes others feel free to say things that are of interest that they might not have otherwise said said if the prevailing environment seemed to be "library rules), i.e. polite whispers only.

About the Steves... Was you there Charlie? There are frequently pros and cons from supposedly well informed folks that are in direct dissagreement where both can't possibly be right. I can't quote chapter and verse but it was either the Hiistory Chanel or TLC or equivalent that did a well researched history of the origins of personal computers and layed out an extensive timeline crediting the right folks with the right deeds in the right time frames as far as I could tell for both hardware and OS/softeare. I couldn't independently verify everything but everything that I had knowledge of was portrayed accurately. A fair random sample was therefore had but it is possible there may have been some errors somewhere, I just didn't catch any.

I have personal experience from the days of the Altair, IMSAI 8080 (as in the flick "War Games", built 3 Heathkit computers and on and on but I freely admit I don't know it all but it wasn't just history for me, I lived it. Frequently there are revisionist versions of history so I am careful about believing things that are written that don't mesh well with personal experience.

Urban myth, an easy way to discredit anything is to claim it is an urban myth. Requires no personal knowledge or experience but actually has the weight of "just because."

Please feel free to lampoon me, just do a good job. My take on some of the posts I have read was that certain individuals, to remain unnamed, tended to exhibit a little religious ferver in instructing others as to the RIGHT reasons to buy a Prius or go to somewhat extreme measures to try to "drive it right." I freely admit using exaggeration to poke a little humor at that. I realize that by being outspoken that I will "draw fire" but if the private messages I have received here are any indication, I only did what others would have liked to do had they been less inhibited. I am opening myself up for a wave of hate mail but... So far I have received no negative responses whatsoever.

Sometimes we just take ourselves and our positions way too seriously and a little humor can help point this out.

If I have actually offended anyone, it was not intentional. If I entertained anyone, then great, if I made anyone actually think about anything or rethink their notion, then that is even better.

The worst "hate mail" I ever received was in another forum where I had the audacity to say that pickups are designed to be more aerodynamic with the original tailgate installed and closed and that cago net looking replacements or driving with it down or whatever has higher drag and lower MPG. This is true but apparently really upsetting to folks who prefer to believe the contrary and who may have spent $ for one of the overpriced mileage reducers.

Whether someone is entertained or alarmed often hinges on whose ox is being gored.

Oh by the way, most modern cars have lower drag with the windows rolled up. The difference can be enough at high speeds to offset the power used to run the A/C. Therefore the suggestion to remove the windshield and back glass to reduce drag is suspect. This still leaves unanswered the question of at what speed the dedicated driver should roll up his/her windows and turn on the A/C.

About persoanl computers... I think that the hot Apples can run a software emulator and pretend to be a PC and have more compute power in that mode than a lot of so called hot PCs. I am writing this on a PC clone, not because I think it is superior technology but because it is afordable technology that is good enough.

Prii aren't perfect, they aren't nirvana, they don't burn hydrogen and only have water vapor in the exhaust but they are good enough and they are now. I am willing to bet that the software that orchestrates Prius computer operation does a good enough job for the vast majority of drivers who could not possibly care less about most of the points that we discuss here.

I'll be a happy camper as soon as I own one instead of just have a deposit down on an order for some unknown time in the future.

G'day Moo :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Driving a Prius with ONLY the goal of getting maximum mileage is ridiculous. The car must be enjoyed for ALL of it's great attributes or you really should have bought an Insight, complete with foot pedals and wind sail. I now leave my energy display off for the most part and just enjoy the drive. Mileage has been in the mid-40's since I got it and I am happy with that. What I enjoy is the quiet, smooth ride, nice visibility, extremely comfortable seats, and spacious interior room. I drove a pick-up truck for 15+ years (always the bottom of the line) and an Echo for 2 years. The Prius is heaven. Regarding the dominance of Toyota in the hybrid arena - they are the only viable system on the market. Honda's system is backwards with it's dependence entirely on the efficiency of the ICE. Improvements in electric drive and battery systems will not really benefit their system and I think they will be re-evaluating it in light of what Toyota has done with the Prius. US carmakers are never going to catch up, in my opinion. I think that the engineering groups of US car makers are either less educated or (more likely) held in check by the tight relationships between suppliers and auto management. Toyota developed the HSD strictly internally - all parts, etc are of Toyota origin. There were no suppliers dictating what they should or should not do. With 300+ patents on the HSD, Toyota can control a lot of the critical design elements, making them unavailable to other manufacturers. Somewhere down the line a lawsuit may be filed by US car makers to try to get the patents revoked. It should fail. Hydrogen is a pipe-dream. The more I read about it, the more I think that Bush and his friends have put this forward to avoid taking any steps NOW to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. There is a lot of money to be lost if everyone was able to get 40+ mpg in all types of vehicles. Fundraising would suffer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
whatshisname said:
Hi Everone: I'm sure we've all heard this before. If someone buys a Prius solely to save money on the cost of fuel, he or she bought it for the wrong reason. :wink:
If someone is looking at 2004 mid size car and sees a Camry and a Prius sitting on the lot for about the same price, wouldn't s/he be attracted to the Prius for its lower fuel cost?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jerry P said:
Driving a Prius with ONLY the goal of getting maximum mileage is ridiculous. The car must be enjoyed for ALL of it's great attributes or you really should have bought an Insight, complete with foot pedals and wind sail.
Jerry, Great post!! Welcome aboard the "Heretic Express." I'm not sure how to take the "must be enjoyed" would have thought "may be enjoyed" would sound less dictatorial. Can we still be friends if I leave out one or two of the reasons while driving? :D Just kidding, I know what you mean.

Pedals and sail, now there is some great aftermarket mods for the zealots. I can see it now... sitting in a Starbucks drinking designer coffee and rubbing sore calves and ankles while waiting for the evening change of wind direction before heading home after a long hard day handing out PETA tracts while picketing a clothing store that has the audacity to sell Boy Scout uniforms.

On the serious side, I think there are (luckily) a lot of folks out there who will buy and enjoy a Prius (likely with thoughts of high mpg but without being anal about it) who will make a real contribution to air quality and reduction of dependence on foreign oil while enjoying a nice comfortable dependable safe ride.

It seems almost as if there is a contingent of folks who INSIST that there must be some form of pain endured for the "cause." In earlier years they would have worn hair shirts and or whipped themselves while climbing the steps of a shrine on their knees. Similarly, their mileage zeal drives them well beyond the point of diminishing returns into worrying over which car wax would give 0.0000001% lower aerodynamic coefficient or if the stock valve caps on the tires could be replaced with lighter weight ones with less drag for an increase in MPG.

I admit that I will drive the Prius differently to allign myself more with "the way it works" but nothing fanatical, just a reasoned response to driving a car that is different.

Oh, by the way Jerry, I'm glad to see that there is still a foundry somewhere in the US. I had a lot of fun in a foundry for a couple months while developing a cast aluminum product (blood sample incubator for ultraviolet spectroscopy). I had some real problems with getting some sand castings worked out. Once I found out that the nice steel rule the owner had on his drafting table was a shrink ruler on one side and a double shrink ruler on the other and not a regular steel rule on both sides, things got better in a hurry.

TJL, Good point! Later when the zealots are better organized they can sail/pedal over to the Toyota store and do informational picketing to try to ensure that candidate Prius owners have the "RIGHT MINDSET" and steer the others toward the Camry to avoid diluting the average psyche positioning of Prius owners.

Question of the day: Should Prius owners R&R the brakelight bulbs with LED brakelights to consume less electricity AND get slightly more thrust (improves gas mileage) due to increased directivity of emitted photons?

Question for tomorrow: Do the HID headlamps with their more intense beams act as retrorockets, retarding forward motion, and should be changed out for the weakest headlamps allowed under the law?

:lol: Pat :lol:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
patrickg said:
Question of the day: Should Prius owners R&R the brakelight bulbs with LED brakelights to consume less electricity AND get slightly more thrust (improves gas mileage) due to increased directivity of emitted photons?

Question for tomorrow: Do the HID headlamps with their more intense beams act as retrorockets, retarding forward motion, and should be changed out for the weakest headlamps allowed under the law?

:lol: Pat :lol:
Or maybe we should just all drive in reverse taking advantage of the HID photon emissions and all electric driving!
--evan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whoee, this thread is getting completely wacky! :lol:

Think I'll just lurk for a while ... sitting smugly in front of my Mac while waiting for my Prius and also for the weather to get better so I can go for a daysail on my AE28. :D

Chuck
04 Silver Millenium, BG pkg, March delivery?

BTW Patrick, my first real computer was an Osborne Executive running CPM, Wordstar and Supercalc. I still have it somewhere in the house. Really though I'm just a computer user, not a "geek."

------------------------------------------------------
The worst day of retirement beats the best day of working by a country mile.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Chuck said:
Whoee, this thread is getting completely wacky! :lol:
I think you're right!

BTW Patrick, my first real computer was an Osborne Executive running CPM, Wordstar and Supercalc. I still have it somewhere in the house. Really though I'm just a computer user, not a "geek."
Hmmm, sounds like you're in denial to me!!
:roll:
--evan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Osborne? Johny come lately! Actually, it was kinda neat back then, asking guys why they were traveling with a portable sewing machine.

Ahh CP/M 80, Control program for a microprocessor... for an 8080 chip. And to think that portable hernia was state of the art, at one time. Did you have one of the accessory magnifying lenses to enlarge the screen?

My 1985 Tandy 6000 was a dual processor, Motorola 68000 + a Z-80 for I/O. It would take 3 simultaneous users (stock) and was expandable to 9 users running Xenix (Microsoft port of Unix.) We had the grand daddy of all spreadsheets, Multiplan (Predated Supercalc), a 300 baud modem, single sided single density 8 inch floppy IBM 3740 format with 251K bytes of storage. It had a HARD DRIVE TOO, 15 megs.

Twisty little tunnels all alike? Bird scares the snake? Awk, grep, ...

Now that we are in a computer frame of mind...

I wonder why with so much compute power on board the Prius they just don't give you access to some of it for genral purpose computing or permit a coprocessor (pentium slot). Touch screen interface is OK but an IR linked keyboard would be nice too. It could have a slot to store it away and recharge its batteries. Why not let you do email, forward your cell phone text messages to the screen and any number of general purpose computer related tasks. Download and view capability for your digital camera pictures would be nice. Sorry to the Mac users out there, majority rules, it would run a version of Microsoft windows.

Of course, given access, some hacker would mod the code and try things like allowing full power to the gas engine and electric motor at 0 MPH so when you punch it off the line it would smoke the tires. Black market Prius code that brings up a picture of Vin Diesel at boot time.

And of course special HIGH MILEAGE code for the zealots. It would restrict acceleration more than just a little and prevent sustained high speed highway cruising. It could be set up with a number of voice and text messages to exhort the driver to yet higher MPG or to verbally admonish any transgressions against the god of high MPG. Of course if it detected too frequent fillups of say less than 3/4 of a tank or if it detected topping off (two known sources of increased and unneccessary air polutiion), it would issue stern reprimands and perhaps dole out penance.

:wink: Pat :wink:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Old PC's

Oh my gosh - there are still old Osborne users out there? I thought I was the only one still alive!

I was much younger then and could read the 5" black and white screen as it scrolled back and forth displaying 40 characters at a time on 20, 80-character lines. At that time we thought we would never use 64K of RAM, especially when the dumb ASCII terminals hooked up to the mainframes only had 24K of RAM. What would anyone ever use all that memory for?

Plus, we had two single sided 5.25 diskettes -- a giant leap over those 8" floppies that looked like small pizzas! Unfortunately, at $25.00 for a box of 10 diskettes, I had to buy floppies one or two at a time. Who would have thought that we could eventually buy a "super computer" for half the price of the Osborne, and a DVD disk would hold several gigabytes. Remember when a 20 page report was only about 10-15K on a floppy?

Yes, I've still got my Osborne in the closet; and it still works. It's going in the electronic marvel museum when pass on, along with my 2002 Prius.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phoenix, I spent $800 (half price) to buy a used Radio Shack computer with 16K ram, a mono momitor, and used an audio cassette recorder for storage... NO DISKS AT ALL! It came with a black jack game that cheated but I developed a way to OUT CHEAT it due to a flaw in its programing. The second program I wrote for it automated celestial sight reductions (predated GPS). I lived on a sailboat at the time.

I still think the Prius could easily have been adapted/designed to give the user (driver or passenger) access to the screen to support general purpose computing by sharing the compute power on board or having a slot to plug in a Pentium (or whatever) on a card. There might be some real neat opportunities for bridging the gap between the GPS Nav and say trip planning/logging software of use to travelors whether commercial like salesmen or vacationers. It would be nice to download the digicam and play with the pix a bit without a laptop, keep a journal, or any of the things that a GP computer dould do for you. I'm not complaining about what Tooyota engineers did but I will miss having what they didn't do. A memory storage device of some kind whether it is DVD, CD, some kind of mem stick, or whatever cold easily carry the info back and forth between car computer and whatever.

I think that as an option, gen purpose compute capability would have been selected by a significant percent of users and would grow as it offers so much convenience to the auto bound public.

OK, this is the part where historically I try to say something funny and or sarcastic to the zealots among us. Prii have such short turning radii that you don't have to turn the wheel all the way to make a turn so reduce weight by cutting off half of the steering wheel and making it look like an aircraft yoke. Nah, didn't "do it" for me. Lesseeee now... take out the unneeded headliner and interior appearance items, and the drink holders (especially the drink holders) to save weight. Removing the drink holder will inflict pain (of a sort) so you can suffer for the cause. Repeat this mantra as you drive: I suffer to not have the convenience of a drink holder so that I can increase my MPG that others may have more and cheaper gas for their SUVs. Ahh, am I not a martyr for the cause? OK, I'll work on the funny sarcasm.. Can't seem to really click just now.

Pat

·
Registered
397 Posts
patrickg said:
OK, this is the part where historically I try to say something funny and or sarcastic to the zealots among us.
Patrick,
Once you have taken delivery of your Prius and begun to familiarize yourself with the car, there will be a time when you'll be curious enough to consider the mpg you are achieving. You may think, "Imagine that, I'm driving 60 mph and getting 68mpg. Let's see if I can get it to 70mpg." This may be only a momentary pause, but when that brief moment arrives, and it will, I hope you will enjoy a long and hearty laugh.
Moo :)

P.S. My first computer was a string of beads.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Moo, I have already admitted in this forum that I will drive a Prius differently because of its different engineering. I will try to allign my driving technique with the Synergy engineering. I just won't be a fanatic about it. I have great reservations regarding the ability of most zealots to get greater mileage out of a Prius than I will get without being excessive compulsive and devoting too much energy trying to get another 0.01MPG.

You see, one of the differences between me and most of the cultist/zealots is that I don't tell others how they must think or how they must drive or what their mindset must be as they sojourn with the Prius in a near Vulcan mind meld state, chanting a mileage mantra. It causes me no grief whatsoever to think someone would put animal skins on their seats, order animal flesh through a window of a fast food place from a Prius, and hot rod the hell out of the Prius till the mileage readout awarded them the order of the dunce cap with oak leaf clusters.

It is a far better thing they do for the environment and foreign oil dependency to do it in a Prius than most other vehicles. I am tickled to think folks will buy them FOR HIGH MILEAGE only, or good looks, or quiet ride/good acoustics or a good Nav system or for any other reason, practical or mythical so long as they do buy and use the Prius instead of a gas guzzling tank or a smoking jalopy. Better someone drives a Prius and gets 40MPG than 10-20 MPG in a tank or a little sporty super poluter.

If someone were truly altruistic in their efforts and wanted to do a good thing for the environment and reduce dependency on foreign oil, they would try to get anyone/everyone to buy a Prius or other Synergy vehicle as they become availlable, irrespective of how perfectly in tune with the WAY TRUTH AND LIGHT they drive or what their mileage might be. The inescapable truth is if that if they are driving a Prius or similar, they aren't driving something else which is likely much worse for the environment and foreign oil dependency.

A selfish benefit would be that the more Prii on the road there are the more technicians will become experienced with them so service will improve and migrate out of the company store to become more widespread. Your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) might stock batteries for $898 (exchange) and there would be more choices of low rolling resistance tires as the customer base expands. MORE is better.

My appologies to anyone who wanted Prius ownership to have a cachet of exclusivity. Still in the early years we can wave at each other as we pass on the road like VW Bug drivers did, and still do.

Pat (sorry I feel rant/sarcasm inhhibited at the moment.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts