Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently analyzed my engine oil from my first oil change done at 1500 miles. I noticed some metals that are not normally associated with oil additives. These foreign metals were aluminum, chromium, copper, iron, manganese, lead, silicon, and titanium. I won't give concentrations because I did not take a control sample of my original oil when I bought the car new. However, I was wondering if the metals could be from engine wear, and if so, what engine components might be giving up each metal. I guess the various bearings throughout the engine and the cylinder walls are the likely candidates for the metal sources, but I was hoping someone could be very specific as to where each metal may be coming from. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your findings are consistent with wear from any engine. You have products from the cylinder walls, pistion rings, crankshaft bearings, coatings used on various metal parts, prelube and assembly "stuff." There is nothing to worry about. Unless I misinterpret, this is your first oil change, and there should be a significant amount of "product" in the filter and oil as a result of normal wear and break-in for a new engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am an analytical chemist for a specialty chemical company. I use inductively coupled plasma emission spectroscopy to determine concentrations of metals in all kinds of materials. I like to analyze stuff like motor oil on the side. There are good laboratories around the country that would be willing to analyze your motor oil for a fee. I'm sure you can find some by doing a search on Google. You might try Galbraith Labs as a start.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Buggman, two things would help out -- but not be perfect. One, find someone with a new prius and check the factory oil before too much wear and tear, to give you a base line for the specific oil used at assembly (with minor differences of course). Or test your own oil now, and then right before the next oil change, is the another rise in the metals? That would imply it was either first few miles wear and tear or was in the original oil at the begining. Either way you are sure you aren't holding an imploding lemon.

Spike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buggman said:
I recently analyzed my engine oil from my first oil change done at 1500 miles. I noticed some metals that are not normally associated with oil additives. These foreign metals were aluminum, chromium, copper, iron, manganese, lead, silicon, and titanium. I won't give concentrations because I did not take a control sample of my original oil when I bought the car new. However, I was wondering if the metals could be from engine wear, and if so, what engine components might be giving up each metal. I guess the various bearings throughout the engine and the cylinder walls are the likely candidates for the metal sources, but I was hoping someone could be very specific as to where each metal may be coming from. Thanks for any help.
Are there any engineers out there who can tell me where the metals listed in the above note are coming from? I suspect most, if not all, are coming from the engine and not from the motor oil. I am not in a panic because of finding the metals. I know all things wear out at a certain rate. I was just hoping someone could be ***very specific*** as to where each metal may be coming from to satisfy my curiosity. The knowledge may even help me trouble shoot some engine problems that may occur after three-or-four hundred thousand miles. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like you need to go to bobistheoilguy.com with this one. It's a great site with a lot of knowledgeable people. I haven't seen many posts by people with hybrids there so this would get a lot of attention, since the hybrid technology is starting to catch on with the general public. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts