Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1:
I turn the key in a cold car. The electric motor turns the engine over at about 1000 rpm, but without fuel or spark, and with a lesser compression in that two cylinders have no compression. In approximately one second fuel, spark and normal compression are supplied, and the engine is running. Correct?

Question 2:
The car is at normal operating temperature. I am in a parking lot running in stealth. Are the pistons moving? If I speed up and the engine starts, is the above scenario correct?

Question 3:
The car is at normal operating temperature and traveling at 70 mph. Conditions allow it to go into the warp stealth mode. Are the pistons moving? When the engine restarts is the scenario for Question 1 repeated?

The technology of this vehicle is wonderous to behold.

2002 Prius (ELCTRC), 37000 Miles, 47.4 actual overall mpg.

seedypea

·
Registered
515 Posts
1) The compression is equal in every cylinder. Otherwise, the rest is correct.

2) The pistons do not move if speed is 42 MPH or slower while in stealth. We coined the term "warp stealth" to describe speeds faster than that, since they do move then. And in the 2004 Prius, the stealth speed increases to about 50 MPH.

3) Yes, the pistons are moving and yes startup waits for compression before applying fuel & spark.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts