Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005-06-02: The following post is humor, and has nothing to do with the current reports of the Prius ICE stalling at hightway speeds!

I think my 2004 engine may be breaking down after only 7000 miles. Since it was cool yesterday, I decided to drive with the windows down instead of using the a/c. I figured the car needed a good airing out. Anyway, the trip started out fine, and I’m not sure exactly when it started, but as I slowed down to pass through the toll plaza on the East-West expressway, I heard the engine stall. I didn’t have any warning lights; it just shut off on its own. After that, I started paying closer attention. It’s acting like the engine isn’t getting enough fuel, because every time I lift my foot off the accelerator I can hear the engine stall. I’m still not getting any warnings. I had a similar problem with my Chevy Spectrum a long time ago, that turned out to be a bad switch on the accelerator. This is different though. With the Spectrum, just touching the pedal was enough to keep it from stalling, but with the Prius, I really need to mash it down before the engine starts up again. Well, I made it all the way home by keeping a constant speed, but boy was my foot cramped. It stalled at each of the three traffic lights I stopped at, and I had to power down/power up the car to get it running again. I’m still not seeing any warnings on the dashboard.

Since it was too late to call anyone last night, I let the car sit. This morning I tried it and it started up fine. I went around the block with no troubles so I started off to work. The engine ran constantly for the first few miles, but after that it started stalling again. It’s got the same symptoms as yesterday. Let off the gas, engine stops. Push lightly, and nothing happens, push hard and it starts again...

I don’t know what I’m going to do now… Has anyone got any suggestions I can try before I call Toyota?

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not stalling at all

What you are describing is normal operation.

The ICE will shut off whenever it is not needed, such as at traffic lights. or when you take your foot off the pedal to begin decellerating.

You haven't read your owner's manual yet, have you?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SkipHuffman said:
What you are describing is normal operation
What! Didn't you read my message? The engine shuts off...and there are NO warning lights on the dashboard. How can you call that normal. I've been driving cars for 23 odd years now, and aside from the Spectrum problem that I mentioned, I've never had anything like this happen before.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is hard to believe you have put on 7000 miles, and never seen the Prius
in normal operation. Maybe if you use the AC all the time...

The ICE only runs when needed.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Robert

·
Registered
363 Posts
melgish said:
SkipHuffman said:
What you are describing is normal operation
What! Didn't you read my message? The engine shuts off...and there are NO warning lights on the dashboard. How can you call that normal. I've been driving cars for 23 odd years now, and aside from the Spectrum problem that I mentioned, I've never had anything like this happen before.
Ok, what is the symptom exactly? Does the car suddenly lose power? Or is it just that you hear the engine shut off? The latter is normal operation. What exactly are you experiencing? What leads you to believe the engine has shut off?

·
Registered
548 Posts
melgish said:
The engine shuts off...and there are NO warning lights on the dashboard. How can you call that normal. I've been driving cars for 23 odd years now, and aside from the Spectrum problem that I mentioned, I've never had anything like this happen before.
The prius can quite happily drive along with the engine off. It's part of that whole "hybrid" thing. It's in electric mode when it does that.

The only time you'd see a warning light is if the engine shuts off and it wasn't supposed to.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SkipHuffman said:
Ok, what is the symptom exactly? Does the car suddenly lose power? Or is it just that you hear the engine shut off?
That's exactly it, I let off the gas, the car begins to decelerate and I hear the engine shut off.

Jonnycat26 said:
The prius can quite happily drive along with the engine off. It's part of that whole "hybrid" thing. It's in electric mode when it does that.
Now that's just crazy talk.

melgish said:
Some folks take me too serioiusly
Ain't that the truth :p

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Would you please "state" that the original post was meant to be "humor" You know, there are an awful lot of new owners who do not really understand their new cars and it is very difficult getting info out of the dealers (who I find in the same boat) and you have to be Japanese (I think) to understand the manual which comes with the car, and a set of service manuals cost three hundred fifty plus, and you cannot find them "used" as yet on "E" bay.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had wondered if you were jokeing. but you can never be sure.

I did not find the manual that difficult to understand, but then I work in the computer sector so wacky translations are something that I deal with regularly.

Is this manual worse than other toyota manuals? It did seem to have a number of cases of weird syntax.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hyperion said:
Would you please "state" that the original post was meant to be "humor"
Fair enough, I figured I'd left enough clues to make that aparent without stating it, but different people read things different ways. Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
In a feisty mood today Melgish? You made my day! :lol:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hep said:
No I'm just dying of boredom because the system I'm testing my software against keeps going down, paralyzing my productivity.

Glad I could bring a smile to some small segment of the population :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
Hep said:
No I'm just dying of boredom because the system I'm testing my software against keeps going down, paralyzing my productivity.

Time to take up knitting, instead of teasing excitable Prius owners. Good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
363 Posts
melgish said:
Fair enough, I figured I'd left enough clues to make that aparent without stating it, but different people read things different ways. Cheers :)
I work in technical support. I always assume someone asking me a question may be underwear over pants on head incompetent.

"Why don't our computers work during the blackout?"
"Is it bad that the computers are sitting in six inches of water?"
"The building is on fire, could that be why we are having system problems?"

Yes, I have take all of these calls. Personally. I have also taken calls from people who were reasonable bright the week before who apparently donated their brains to science over the weekend.

But you got me, consider me "punked" as the kids say.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SkipHuffman said:
Because You're too cheap to buy a good UPS System.
Only if they are ON.
No, but unless you have great insurance, your system performance may suffer.

:)

Mrs. Melgish is a Microsoft Outlook MVP, so I know just where you're comming from.

·
Registered
68 Posts
melgish said:
Hep said:

Get a mainframe and you would not have problems with the system. :)

It was obvious you were kidding around.

:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
melgish said:
SkipHuffman said:
Because You're too cheap to buy a good UPS System.
Only if they are ON.
No, but unless you have great insurance, your system performance may suffer.

:)

Mrs. Melgish is a Microsoft Outlook MVP, so I know just where you're comming from.
They did have UPS which is why they were confused. The power went out but the computers kept working for a little while then began shutting down one by one. They did not bother to mention the darkness when they called.

The computers were powered on, sitting on the floor with operators using them (wading, I am guessing) These were IBM PC 500s, power supply on the bottom. I told them to walk away from the systems RIGHT NOW leave the room and cut off the power at a circuit breaker before someone died. They argued with me.

I have no valid explaination for why they wanted to keep working with the building on fire. Our conversation was interrupted by evacuation orders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MY CAR'S ENGINE STALLED FOR REAL! WITH 1,850 MILES!

The day was this past Friday October 15th twelve noon, driving home.
Suddenly the RED TRIANGLE warning light went on, check engine light lite went on.... and I was driving only on electric, max speed 35 MPH, and the battery draining fast!
I pulled over, turned the car off, restarted, same thing! Coasted for a bit, the battery started to get a charge, but the ICE was still off.
A few minutes later it came on and started to help charge the battery.
Warning lites on.
Drove home called Toyota, and they flatbedded the car at 1:30 pm.
By 6 pm, the were closing but called to tell me that they would take a look on Saturday....
They called Saturday about 11 am and said my car was fixed. Nothing mechanical, just a software fix. Toyota was bulletined about the problem.
Today Sunday Oct 17th, all seems OK.
Any similar experiences??????
Robert
Sad on Friday :( , Happy on Saturday. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts