Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has the specs and design info on the engine?

I know its a 1.5L inline 4, but my first question would be if it is the same engine as the echo, just with a lower compression ratio, and a lower rev limit.

Just thinking if any performance mods for the echo (not sure if there are any ;) ) would apply on the Prius (i.e. intake)

I'm not looking for some major HP boosts, but I figure a couple more HP here and there wouldn't hurt and thigns like a cone intake don't tend to affect the fuel efficiency negatively.

tia.

-s

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
1.5 liter (1,497 cc)
4 cylinder (inline)
16 valve
Atkinson-Miller Cycle
VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence)
76 hp @ 5000 rpm
82 lb-ft torque @ 4200 rpm

·
Registered
928 Posts
Same engine block as the Echo. Most of the rest of the parts are Prius specific. Including the head, so it's hard to predict if an aftermarket Echo intake would fit. The throttle and sensors like mass air-flow are also different, so it seems unlikely to be a drop-in fit.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah, we're using a drive-by-wire throttle as opposed to mechanical throttle on the Echo.

·
Registered
466 Posts
shaun944 said:
I know its a 1.5L inline 4, but my first question would be if it is the same engine as the echo, just with a lower compression ratio, and a lower rev limit.
Please note that, because of the Atkinson cycle, Prius uses higher compression ratio, 13.0, than Echo(10.5).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts