Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a news story on foxnews about Toyota recalling the Prius because some have shut down at speeds of 35-60 mph. Has anyone got any further information about this???? Is Toyota recalling Prius because of this as a safety problem. Mine runs perfectly, but I wouldn't want a surprise on the freeway!!!! or in traffic.....The news story said that so far 37-40 cars have had the problem.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Oh - it's not a recall. Gov't is looking into it, and Toyota is cooperating. If it becomes more than a blip, then they may do more (service bulletin, or more formal action), but not now. Relax. They're not self destructing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Toyota should promote their existing calibration update from TSB to campaign.
Not if it's the fix that makes the engine run more often. I'm fine without for now, and forcing it on me (since unapplied recalls looks bad later) isn't going to aid me at all right now.

I prefer the "Hey, I had trouble, do you have a fix?" aspect of the current TSB status...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You wouldn't see it that way if you had no knowledge and understanding of the TSB issue and it happened to you. Even the O2 issue concerned me when the check engine light came on, and that isn't nearly an issue as most of the dash lights appearing, your HV battery draining, and you losing power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine Shutdown between 35 - 60 MPH

I have the 2004 prius and it did have the stalling out problem 13 days ago. The dealer said it was a ECU (electronic control unit) that went out. I was traveling at about 60 MPH when it died was able to get to a side street and call the dealer. They fixed it in a day and I've not had any problems since. I still LOVE driving my Prius. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
DanMan32 said:
You wouldn't see it that way if you had no knowledge and understanding of the TSB issue and it happened to you. Even the O2 issue concerned me when the check engine light came on, and that isn't nearly an issue as most of the dash lights appearing, your HV battery draining, and you losing power.
But that's why horror movies and who-dun-its are only really effective the first time, and why telling people plot details is called a 'spoiler'. Since I know what's up, I will only go "Crap, my turn" if this happens to me. I won't rue the day I ever thought about buying a Prius or anything. Meanwhile, without screwing up my car's programming with an unrequired 'fix', I'll only have a small fight against the MPG loss from the stickier tires.

And I had already heard about the O2 thing, and drove my car over 180 miles at 65MPH the day I got it, to burn off the offending packing goo. "Fun" spoiled again...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car stalls, so they say at speeds between 35 and 70

The following may be true--there is some substantuation to it.
Those who stalled out were using HIGHER octane gas than the "87". That is probably the answer to their dilemna

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could care less about a software bug. My expedition had to have balljoints replaced, seatbelts replaced and 2 trannys replaced with in 20k miles.. So if I have to go to the dealer for a software upgrade boo hoo big deal...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thread 5027 that Sanny referred to has gotten way out of
control, and is no longer useful. The thing *I* want to know
is, which ECU is the one that gets reflashed to
supposedly fix the "stalling problem"? Engine, HV, some
combination? Anyone have a mirror of the TSB in
question, if it exists?
_
_H*

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Has it even been established that the computers shut down the ICE, or that the ICE itself quit for it's own reasons?

If the computer has a hair-trigger in shutting it down based on abnormal sensor readings, that's one thing. But it's quite another if the ICE is quitting for other reasons such as ignition failure, electrical failure, etc.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Engine Failed to start is generated by the ECM (engine control module) when it turns 100 times or 6 seconds elapsed and no change occured in the RPM (because the engine did not fire to make that change), and the ECM is in start mode.

Remember, this is a hybrid. The engine is normally stopped in the course of travel, even when the car is moving. Most of the time, the error is that the ICE would not start again in the alloted time.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I understand, Dan, and at low speeds a "fail to start" is the likely condition.

But at the 60mph some report the stalling, the ICE would be running, and then get shut down somehow.

It sounds liek two different causes may be at work, and perhaps that is why it has been so hard for them to fine "the" source.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I tend to doubt the ICE was running. Most don't truly understand how the Prius really works, or even if they did, they will call it stalling because they consider the car losing power as stalling, no matter what the power source was. The car CAN and DOES run on electric at highway speeds, especially when going down a downhill stretch.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts