Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Prius with the smart key system. This morning the doors wouldn't open right away, I had to pull the key out of my purse for the signal to go through. I pressed down on the brake and pushed the start button and the front display did not turn on, only the navigation screen lit up. I pressed the start button again and the front lights turned on - brake light (in red) and yellow icons all along the front. The gear was showing up as "N" and I couldn't move it into "D". My gas is 3/4 full and the car was working fine last night. Any thoughts? :cry:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
COMET said:
I have a 2005 Prius with the smart key system. This morning the doors wouldn't open right away, I had to pull the key out of my purse for the signal to go through. I pressed down on the brake and pushed the start button and the front display did not turn on, only the navigation screen lit up. I pressed the start button again and the front lights turned on - brake light (in red) and yellow icons all along the front. The gear was showing up as "N" and I couldn't move it into "D". My gas is 3/4 full and the car was working fine last night. Any thoughts? :cry:
Did you try the fob in the slot in the dash? Your battery in the fob may be drained or nearly so.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Ok, were you able to completely power down after all that?
Did you hear the "click click click" as the relay to the HV battery closed? What trouble shooting have you tried and what have the results been?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to shut down completely...not sure about the click click sound...and I have not done any trouble shooting. I'm not savy with cars, I was going to call a tow truck tonight when I get back from work.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
COMET said:
I was able to shut down completely...not sure about the click click sound...and I have not done any trouble shooting. I'm not savy with cars, I was going to call a tow truck tonight when I get back from work.
Ah, so you don't have immediate access. That'll make it tough to check other stuff. It could be as simple as a depleted 12v battery or as serious as a problem with the hybrid system.

I tend to think it's just the 12v since the first thing you noticed was the difficulty getting the car to open. If you have one of those rechargable battery jumpers or know someone who does it's worth a shot to try to get a jump before calling the tow truck. If it starts right up you might have just left the hatch ajar or something.

If you can't get someone to do that before the tow truck comes you might ask the tow guy to try to jump you. Just be aware that the jump point is under the hood remote from the battery (which is in the hatch)...and some of these tow guys aren't that familiar with the Prius and are sometimes hesitant to work with them at all. I suggest having the owner's manual open to the page that shows the jump point under the hood and maybe even open up the cover so there's no problem for him/her to find it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to see the battery indicator on the screen, it was green up to about 4/5. Is that the indicator for the 12v battery?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Comet,

I take two things away from your comments above:

(1) If you are having problems with the fob, first check the "KEY" button which is located under the steering wheel. Try it both positions, one will turn the Smart Key system off and one will turn the Smart Key system on. To see if the Smart Key system is on, hold the fob near the dashboard. Two small green lights should be lit on either side of the fob insert on the dash if the system is on. If not, depress the "KEY" button under the steering wheel.

(2) When you attempt to turn the car on, and the dashboard indicator says that the car is in "N", you may have shut the car down without depressing the park "P" button first, which is just above the shift lever on the dashboard. As I remember, the car will only start in the "P" position.
Try this sequence. (a) Without stepping on the brake, depress the power button, if the dash display doesn't come on, depress it again (b) With the dash display lit, see if the gear indicator is in "N" or "P". If it is in "N", depress the "P" button, the gear indicator should now show "P". If so, shut down the car in the normal fashion, step on the brake and press the "Power" button. If all the lights on the dash go out, the car has shut down. The restart by stepping on the brake again and pressing the "Power" button. It should start.

READ THE OWNERS MANUAL 8)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
COMET said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to see the battery indicator on the screen, it was green up to about 4/5. Is that the indicator for the 12v battery?
The display on the screen is the high voltage main battery. If you can see the screen, the 12V battery is working as well as the computer. Sounds like you're not using the proper starting sequence to power up. Make sure your foot is depressing the brake pedal before pushing the Power button.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
River Rat said:
Comet,

I take two things away from your comments above:

(1) If you are having problems with the fob, first check the "KEY" button which is located under the steering wheel. Try it both positions, one will turn the Smart Key system off and one will turn the Smart Key system on. To see if the Smart Key system is on, hold the fob near the dashboard. Two small green lights should be lit on either side of the fob insert on the dash if the system is on. If not, depress the "KEY" button under the steering wheel.[/qupte]
She stated she tried the key in the slot...the sks becomes irrelevant when you do that...thus we've eliminated that the fob or sks is the source of the problem.

(2) When you attempt to turn the car on, and the dashboard indicator says that the car is in "N", you may have shut the car down without depressing the park "P" button first, which is just above the shift lever on the dashboard. As I remember, the car will only start in the "P" position.
It is absolutely NOT necessary to push the "P" button when shutting down and that is not the cause of the problem.

[quote:14jd5lpd]Try this sequence. (a) Without stepping on the brake, depress the power button, if the dash display doesn't come on, depress it again (b) With the dash display lit, see if the gear indicator is in "N" or "P". If it is in "N", depress the "P" button, the gear indicator should now show "P". If so, shut down the car in the normal fashion, step on the brake and press the "Power" button. If all the lights on the dash go out, the car has shut down. The restart by stepping on the brake again and pressing the "Power" button. It should start.
This is worth a try, of course, but I don't think it explains the problem. The car will go into Park upon shut down. If it doesn't then there is some other problem with the car that prevented that from occuring. That said, sometimes the Windows-like shut-down/restart sequence is all it takes to reset the computers to work properly.

In any case, if you do get it started with some sort of sequence as above I think you definately should take the car in to have any DTC codes checked and cleared to try to see what went wrong.

That isn't necessary if it's just your 12v battery that became discharged.

READ THE OWNERS MANUAL
[/quote:14jd5lpd]
It's a good idea, of course, but it won't help her in this particular case as this scenario won't be covered.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
To continue with Evan's comments,

In order to shift the car into/out of any gear, you have to be at least in Ig-On mode. The car CAN start in N or P. P is the only 'gear' that has any mechanical application: it engages or disengages the parking pawl. However, this pawl is operated by a servo (type of electric motor) which is controlled by computer. The rest of the 'gears' is simply a state of the HV ECU, dictating how the ECU will control MG1/MG2/ICE to provide motion. Therefore if the car is off, the 'gear' is automatically effectively at least N if not P, since there is no high voltage to operate any of the motors to emulate D or R (or B).

True, the classic also operated this way, but the 'shifter' stayed in its set position, continually indicating to the HV ECU what mode it should be in. The 2004-2006 does not continually provide this input; the state is momentary.

So, the car could be brought into READY whether the parking pawl is engaged or not. However, the parking pawl should be engaged during the power down sequence automatically, so an error would be generated if the pawl is not in the position the shifter ECU expected it to be. I believe the HV ECU will still go into READY, but if the parking pawl is not properly disengaged by the ECUs, it could not operate in any gear mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Unfortunately, I have shut down without pressing the parking button several times in the past. After the "oops", I power back up and the display indicates that it is in the park position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.