Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on the advantages [if any] of replacing the air filter with a high performance type. i.e. K&N Filtercharger ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Islander said:
Any thoughts on the advantages [if any] of replacing the air filter with a high performance type. i.e. K&N Filtercharger ?
The only thought I have is that it's too bad K&N hasn't gotten off their asses and designed any yet. I called their customer support number over a year ago and "put in a request". They actually said they were working on them but would be a few more months before they'd be available for purchase.

I just checked their website - Still nothing but an oil filter...

They've apparently copied their sales practices from Coastal Electronics!

·
Registered
582 Posts
air filters

I have been using a K&N filter for the last 55k or so, in 2001 Prius. HAVE noted no magnificent differences in performance nor economy. The main thing was to not buy a lot of air filters. The engine oil analyses have been clean in silicon, so this filter is not leaking dirt.

I have seen that some new model Prius drivers are buying the available model and trimming the gasket edge to fit. Not sure I'd advise that, maybe better to wait. Or email K&N so they know that a new part is needed.

DAS

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: air filters

tochatihu said:
I have been using a K&N filter for the last 55k or so, in 2001 Prius. HAVE noted no magnificent differences in performance nor economy. The main thing was to not buy a lot of air filters. The engine oil analyses have been clean in silicon, so this filter is not leaking dirt.

I have seen that some new model Prius drivers are buying the available model and trimming the gasket edge to fit. Not sure I'd advise that, maybe better to wait. Or email K&N so they know that a new part is needed.

DAS
Sorry... I had assumed that we were talking 2nd Gen.

I hadn't heard of the "trimming" modification.

·
Registered
582 Posts
air filter

Re: K&N in 2004-- Prius, the description I saw of this was in Prius Chat and perhaps lost in their recent site malfunction. Sorry that I cannot provide a link; might you repost the question there?

DAS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts