Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 weeks, I'm still confused about a few things on the MFD

1. Sometimes when I'm just coasting (no foot on gas), the battery recharges, but not at 99.9mpg, but other (always changing numbers). They're usually high, but rarely out of the 60s.

2. Other times I'm coasting at slow speeds, there's NOTHING on the screen except the tires turning. Something's making the car move.

(posted also on Coastal Dave's board)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
drtravel47 said:
After 2 weeks, I'm still confused about a few things on the MFD

1. Sometimes when I'm just coasting (no foot on gas), the battery recharges, but not at 99.9mpg, but other (always changing numbers). They're usually high, but rarely out of the 60s.

2. Other times I'm coasting at slow speeds, there's NOTHING on the screen except the tires turning. Something's making the car move.

(posted also on Coastal Dave's board)
First, there's no need to post the question in more than one place, it only adds to the confusion.

1)I'm going to bet that this is almost always within the first several minutes after start up that you see this. Any other time, with all green arrows you should see only 99.9mpg. During the initial warm-up stages (see: http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode ... 4f8686cab2 ) The ICE will run harder to warm up the various coolants and emissions control systems and you can see those lower mpg numbers even when coasting.

2)Many of us have called that condition "gliding" You are probably on a very slight down-hill area not requiring additional power to maintain speed, but if the regenerative braking kicked it it would slow you down. If using Cruise control the CC will slightly depress the accelerator enough to eliminate the green arrows but not enough to get the outflow arrows. You can do this yourself and it's a great technique to learn. Others call it 'lightfoot' technique.
--evan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think it's time to splurge on the CAN adapter. Gonna get one when the USB version comes out, which is supposed to be this month. With the USB version, you can get full speed data aquisition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts