Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Package #9. I rent when on the road, sometimes for as long as a week, a Package #1 from Enterprise.

There are some VERY dramatic differences between the two.

The #1 will stay in EV mode 2 and 3 times as long as the #9. It is quicker to charge to green bars, and also will idle (parked) without ICE for 2 to 3 times longer.

I assume that this is due to the fact that the #1 does not have the increased electrical demands of the #9. Or weight, or something.

I realize I am lucky to get to be able to compare the two, but maybe there is someone else that can attest to this? Or explain it?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have an almost-year-old 2004 package 0 with 11,000 miles on it. My dad has a pkg. 9 that's a month old. (He sold me the pkg. 0.)

Although I haven't driven the package 9 very much, they seem identical to me. Also, he drove the pkg. 0 1800 miles to visit me, and 1800 miles back home with the pkg. 9, same weather, route, and approx. speeds, and got the same mpg (49), even though the pkg. 0 was well-broken in (the 9 had less than 100 miles when he left) AND had synthetic oil in it.

I would've expected the 9 to get worse mileage, as not broken in (engine or tires), no synthetic oil, and additional features/weight, etc. as you mention.

rob

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sing: I would look really hard for differences: different degrees of break-in; different weather at the two locations; different A/C usage; different terrain; maybe even different driving habits when you are in your own car vs a rental car; something. The different behaviors of the two cars seem much too great, in my opinion, to be accounted for by the options in the BC compared to the base-model. If you had reported a 5% difference in behaviors, I'd say, okay, sounds possible. If you'd reported 10% I'd say, who knows? maybe. But 2X or 3X differences, doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
singpilot said:
I own a Package #9. I rent when on the road, sometimes for as long as a week, a Package #1 from Enterprise.

There are some VERY dramatic differences between the two.

The #1 will stay in EV mode 2 and 3 times as long as the #9. It is quicker to charge to green bars, and also will idle (parked) without ICE for 2 to 3 times longer.

I assume that this is due to the fact that the #1 does not have the increased electrical demands of the #9. Or weight, or something.

I realize I am lucky to get to be able to compare the two, but maybe there is someone else that can attest to this? Or explain it?
You want to know something? YOUR reasoning sounds logical to me! Package #9 has MANY, many features that can drain the battery and cause the differences that you make note of. Also, does anyone know if there is a weight difference between the 2 packages? Weight can and will make a difference.

There are little things we can do to put less stress and drain on the battery. The guy who drove my car to St. Louis (to deliver it to me! no charge...) told me to turn to "OFF" all lights: light in trunk (didn't even know there was one there at the time..), lights near the sun visors, and the two dome lights. I keep my drain to a minimum.

Also, I do NOT run the headlights like "DRL" during the day-- nor do I leave them in the ON position so that they will come on when I turn on the car. (I actually think I DID that for a few days initially-- but I stopped that "behavior" quickly.) I love my car! I also love my AC which I run all the time!

Keeping my eye on the "consumption Screen"-- I still average 50 MPG. When I forget to monitor myself and drive "normally-- it slips to 49+ MPG. My car and I have "bonded." It's true love.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in the rental as we speak. It has 8800 something miles on it. My new one has 1200 something miles on it. Weather and temps have been the same both places all week. High 90's temps, mid 60's humidity. I drive them both the same, similar topography.

I will assume some of the differences are break-in being complete on the rental. The electrical loads on the #9 are higher, but it is striking how easily the rental stays in EV.

Maybe mine will get better as it ages.

·
Registered
110 Posts
9 takes more energy

I agree that the option 9 package would drain the battery quite a bit more than the zero option setup. The SS/SE system is constantly using minute amounts of electricity to keep in touch with the key fob. The manual suggests disabling this feature if the car is to be left unused for more than a week because the monitoring feature of the SS/SE system will adversely drain the battery. Option 9 also has GPS which, I assume, is operative even if the nav function on the screen is not activated. I don't have a nav system in my car.
The weight difference is probably negligible; the side curtain airbags and the rear wiper would be the only weight related differences. and I can't imagine that they would add more than 30 lbs to the car's weight.
I still use my headlights during the day because I think saving an ounce of fuel is not as important as making my car more visible.
B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts