Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 model with 70,000 miles has had the emergency brake light comes on for 30-50 seconds in the morning after it has been running for a few minutes. It repeats this pattern every 5 minutes or so for the first 30 minutes in the car.

Things I observed
1) Emergency brake is off
2) Weather has been in the 40-50 deg
3) It happens more while accelerating after braking

Any Ideas what it might be?

Greg

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Check brake fluid reservoir level. My former 89 Honda Accord was just a little low on brake fluid, and the brake lamp would come on at hills or bumps.

If that isn't it, have the brakes checked.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I doubt any car directly measures pad wear, but indirectly, worn pads could trigger the lamp. If fluid was already low (but not enough to trigger the lamp), and then the pads wear, this would further lower reservior fluid level, since extra fluid would have to reside in the piston chambers of the front brakes as the pads wear. It might be just enough to then trigger the low-fluid warning lamp. The usual method of letting you know your pads are work is a metal finger that will screetch on the disc when the pads wear to a certain point.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Never seen that before, not to say it isn't possible.
That is because the worn pads allow more brake fluid into the pston area, thus lowering the level in the master resevoir. So the light comes on because of the low fluid level in the resevoir, just like you said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts