Toyota Prius Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You can't change the behavior of others. You can only control yourself. For any that will listen, you can point out your ipod, or other fun things you have purchased with the money you didn't spend on gas. You may also compliment them on the fact they think they are so good at detecting "gayness". Hang in there with your chin up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sounds like you should get a new neighbor and a new girlfriend.

just kidding. who cares what they think? are you in high school? then i guess you do. just sell me the car. or better yet, just let their remarks roll off your back. if you ignore them, they'll quit. especially when gas goes up to $4/gallon.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Fear, ignorance, and prejudice are what drive people like you're describing. Keep that in the front of your mind.

I realize there's a lot of pressure to be "cool" in HS, but I promise you that in 3 years not a lick of this stuff will matter.

Although it can seem difficult to ignore the ignorant masses it is always the best policy. The second they see they've gotten to you it's like when a group of sharks first smell blood....the frenzy starts at that first hint of weakness.

Ignore them, walk with your chin held high and eventually the fun of their game will wane.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prius

hyperion said:
I'de be really interested in knowing what type of school this is. High School, Jr. College or College? It's obviously filled with students who haven't as yet received any "book learning."
If it's "public," it really says something about the California school system.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Oh, i dunno. I got the same harassmant 40 years ago in Michigan with my VW beetle, in 1992 with my Miata, in 2000 with the VW New Beetle...

I am 56....a llllllloooooooonnng way from H/S :wink:

·
Registered
269 Posts
PriusKid said:
I am embarrassed to drive my new Prius that my parents bought me. I love the car and everything about it--except for one feature. I use the car for driving to-and-from school, to work after school, school sporting and social events, and with my girlfriend and others. I use to pick up a neighbor friend and give him a ride to school. However, I am becoming the object of a lot of harrasement because I drive the Prius. In the school parking lot, other students yell comments that the Prius is a "fagmobile", that it is a "gay car", and only a **** would drive one. In the school corridor, some kids comment "how do you like your '*** car'"? My neighbor buddy said he doesn't want to be seen riding in the Prius anymore because he is also the subject of ridicule and my girlfriend has also be the subject of some nasty comments. I don't know what to do! :oops:
Well maybe they should go buy their OWN cars and not ride with you. Maybe a few "I'm busy, I can't pick you up today, maybe you should walk" comments will cool'em off.

You keep on driving that car bud...and to hell with'em! 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like to me that daddy's buying their gas. Sometimes it's hip to be square. Tint the windows, throw on a set of 17" Scion wheels with some "grippy" tires and you'll be cool. Your mileage will take a hit, but maybe pop's buying your gas, too.

Tom

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Your options are (1) ignore them, (2) wait for one of them to physically assault you and then beat them up, and (3) stop driving the Prius. (2) is effective and satisfying if you can do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Prius

tomandbecky said:
Sounds like to me that daddy's buying their gas. Sometimes it's hip to be square. Tint the windows, throw on a set of 17" Scion wheels with some "grippy" tires and you'll be cool. Your mileage will take a hit, but maybe pop's buying your gas, too.

Tom

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Regardless of any magazine ranking , it still explains why the private school system in California is being filled to capacity by students of families willing to sacrifice and go the extra twelve thousand dollars a year. It still sounds to me like your studentbody is "dumb."
Call me "old fashion" but I would much rather I had my kid going to the best school available in a 1980 Corolla than the public college prep school in the neighborhood in a new Prius.

·
Registered
344 Posts
tell them to get a life. what you drive shouldn't matter to them.

oh yeah, and tell them you only fill up every few weeks and have more money to spend on your girlfriend.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
PriusKid,
If speed is the main barometer of your fellow students anti-gay ire, then the Hummer fares little better. According to dragtimes.com, 1/4 performance times/mph for a 2004 Toyota Prius are 17.7/79. For a 2004 Hummer H2, it's 17.3/80.2.

I'm virtually certain this is high school, not college. College students are more mature and worldly than that. I think it's pretty inevitable, at least in an American culture, to equate power and brute strength with "manliness". I also think jealousy is a factor here too.

Your choice is to have your parents sell the Prius (or keep it for themselves), or to wait for this to pass, as it surely will in time, or to wait for gas prices to go up, as they surely will in time.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sounds like some severe Prius envy in action.

The only advice I can offer is don't let it get you down.

Tell em every dollar you save is one less dollar in the hands of the infidels

(that should puzzle em while they try to figure out what infidels are)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Priuskid,

Seems to me that you have gotten some good advice here. However, what some students are saying at school to you is baseless, foolish and ignorant. I know that you know that. Once again, young people are usually an ugly reflection of their parentage. If the folks you go to school with share these ignorant views at school, I wonder what their home life is like, what their parents think? And we wonder about the ignorance of the American people. Just remember, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

When you get out of high school people seem to change. You stand there and look out on the world and wonder why it took so long for everyone else to grow up. Sure, that is conceited, but it sure seems true. Ok, not everyone you meet in college or work with will be fully mature in their thinking or conduct, but they tend to use their "big boy voice" more often than they do in high school. They may remain equally ignorant and stupid, but they also tend to keep it to themselves rather than let their gums flap.

I do not wish to create extra concerns or worries, however I wouldn't be concerned about what they say to you, so much as what they might do to your car. I can't say I'm particularly trusting of people and as such, even as an aging young adult, I take great care to park my car in the lower 40 of parking lots, away from everyone else, and I'm fortunate at work to be able to park my car in a secured parking garage.

But don't sell the car, and don't give up driving it. But don't waste your time either trying to change the minds of the ignorant. Just go to school and enjoy your life and let those who have mind rot be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And for pity's sake, tell them that it is totally uncool to use the term "gay" as a derogatory comment. And the term "***" is often seen as negative as the "n" word for African Americans. Then remind them that their SUV's and Hummers really won't make up for their microscopic penises.

·
Registered
85 Posts
PriusKid said:
I am embarrassed to drive my new Prius that my parents bought me. I love the car and everything about it--except for one feature. I use the car for driving to-and-from school, to work after school, school sporting and social events, and with my girlfriend and others. I use to pick up a neighbor friend and give him a ride to school. However, I am becoming the object of a lot of harrasement because I drive the Prius. In the school parking lot, other students yell comments that the Prius is a "fagmobile", that it is a "gay car", and only a **** would drive one. In the school corridor, some kids comment "how do you like your '*** car'"? My neighbor buddy said he doesn't want to be seen riding in the Prius anymore because he is also the subject of ridicule and my girlfriend has also been the subject of some nasty comments. I don't know what to do! :oops:
If the people in your high school really do torment you over the fact that you drive a Prius, then I'd have to say that those who are bothering you are quite stupid. It's not jealousy or anything as insidious as that, it's just simple high school stupidity. My last year of high school was '94, but I'm quite positive that the social element of "jocks vs. geeks" still exists, and always will. Believe me, I've been on both sides of that war, and I know it blows.

The most important thing you can do is realize that anything anyone else says about you or the car you drive means absolutely nothing in this world. Not a thing! Granted, most high school students don't realize that until they get to college, or later, since social status and cliques are arguably the most important things in the average American student's life.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I seem to remember that the "popular" guys in HS that got all the girls were markedly lower on the IQ scale than the ones that were non (like myself). The funny thing is that the girls seem to like the smarter guys that become successful after HS more than the ones that never accomplish more than being popular in HS.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.