Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 Odyssey has electronic parking sensors, and they have come in handy on at least a couple of occasions. I have found the view out the rear of the Prius is not that great, and have been looking into rear sensors for my 05 Prius.

Has anyone installed these successfully, and if so, how much did it cost, did you do it yourself, and what kind of sensor did you get?

I have been looking at the following site, and wondering how hard it would be to install the Astrodon parking sensor on the inside surface of the rear plastic bumper. I have looked under the bumper, and it appears like it would be quite difficult without removing some parts.

Here is the link http://www.astrodoneps.com/index.html.

Thanks for any input.

Dasiy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Electronic Parking sensors...anybody install on an 05 Pr

I did install the parking sensors (420 euro) and soon crashed the left rear bumper into another car in a parking lot :) I probably relied too much on that gadget...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Astrodon system using electromagnetic waves, or another brand using ultrsound energy?

Daisy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Daisy said:
Astrodon system using electromagnetic waves, or another brand using ultrsound energy?

Daisy
It is a TPA400 Toyota Parking Aid. I checked the users manuals but found no answer to your question.

Now, I also wanna know the answer to that question :) I guess, i will have to call Toyota...

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you look in the Files section of the Prius-Europe group on Yahoo, someone has posted pictures of their installation of the Astrodon EPS system. Doesn't look too painful.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is the Back up camera. Costal E Tech will have the system soon. It is all built in including shifting to the camera, if attached, when you put it in reverse. I don't understand why Toyota did not think we would buy it. I would even like to have the auto park just to show off the car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
backup sensor...

I've installed this one: http://www.thetwistergroup.com/product/ ... 19690.html
It works great, looks great, sounds great. Only tough part was drilling holes in a 3 month-year old car! The sensors go in the rear bumper and I put the display up above the rear view mirror next to the headliner. There's a little speaker that I put in the left rear window (the small one that doesn't roll down). It sits on the 'shelf' (plastic panel) below the glass and beeps slowly when 6 feet away and reaches an annoying pace as u close in on 1 foot from an object. I'll try to get some pics posted, they're on my home machine and I'm at work...not really working today it seems! I really like the system. It is a little challanging to "see" out the back and now I get an audible and distance display before impact. Great for parallel parking. Less expensive (but less "cool") than the back-up camera. Pretty easy install. Ask if you need more details...

·
Registered
149 Posts
park aid...

I guess you have a point! It's yet another gadget that I've deemed worthy of my time. I'm a car gadget guy and even my SO thinks it a good idea to warn of "unseen" or impending obstacles when in a 'crowded' parking lot. Just how crowded 3 cars can be depends on the size of the lot. LOL. Plus all the Prius gawkers silently look at the car and don't realize that a car is backing into them...thus the beeping warns me of more potential Prius-seekers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
park aid

yeah, I've followed many a post with those "needs". I'll keep on the lookout. No promises...except here are some pics of my rear sensor warn system. Enjoy! One pic also shows my compass/mirror from an '03 Camry and my rear bumper protector. Next on the list this summer is a receiver hitch from Coastaletech for a bike carrier.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts