Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an appointment with Circuit City next week to intall 6 new door speakers, a bazooka sub woofer with built in amp, and one more amp to power the door speakers. I am not replacing the radio.

Being that this is a hybrid, are there any concerns that I should have concerning the electrical system? Would the install be the same as with any other car? I've heard reports of problems with 12 Volt battery drain after mods like this.

thanks for your help.

Ken

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got two MTX amps tested at over 700 watts mounted on an MDF board bolted to that storage tray under the floor of the trunk. I've had zero problems with my installation.

Your install sounds modest enough that power requirements should not be a concern. I'd be a lot more concerned about whether your installers know anything about the Prius. For instance, if they say they are going to pull a wire for power through the firewall, run quickly in the other direction, as that would demonstrate that they don't know anything about Prius installs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
priusenvy said:
I've got two MTX amps tested at over 700 watts mounted on an MDF board bolted to that storage tray under the floor of the trunk. I've had zero problems with my installation.

Your install sounds modest enough that power requirements should not be a concern. I'd be a lot more concerned about whether your installers know anything about the Prius. For instance, if they say they are going to pull a wire for power through the firewall, run quickly in the other direction, as that would demonstrate that they don't know anything about Prius installs.
My installers will be Circuit City. What questions should I ask them to make sure they are competent?

Ken

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't know if I would say to run in the other direction. True, there are better places IN the car to get power, even though the battery is in the hatch, the main junction block is under the hood.

Since you said you were keeping your radio, but didn't specify whether you had JBL or not. The JBL system has a digitalally controlled amp that also controls the volume, not the radio, so it cannot be replaced without replacing the radio also. The non-JBL has standard speaker outputs at the radio.

Oh, another thing: the MFD beeps are generated at the amp, whether that be the JBL amp or the buit-in amp in the radio for non-JBL. That means if you add an external amp with gain greater than 1:1, you'll be uncontrollably amplifying the beeps. For the non-JBL, the beeps are only from the front speakers, but the JBL it is the rear speakers and the front tweeters. By the way, the JBL amp has separate front tweeter outputs and the front crossover is actively in the JBL amp itself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanMan32 said:
I don't know if I would say to run in the other direction. True, there are better places IN the car to get power, even though the battery is in the hatch, the main junction block is under the hood.

Since you said you were keeping your radio, but didn't specify whether you had JBL or not. The JBL system has a digitalally controlled amp that also controls the volume, not the radio, so it cannot be replaced without replacing the radio also. The non-JBL has standard speaker outputs at the radio.

Oh, another thing: the MFD beeps are generated at the amp, whether that be the JBL amp or the buit-in amp in the radio for non-JBL. That means if you add an external amp with gain greater than 1:1, you'll be uncontrollably amplifying the beeps. For the non-JBL, the beeps are only from the front speakers, but the JBL it is the rear speakers and the front tweeters. By the way, the JBL amp has separate front tweeter outputs and the front crossover is actively in the JBL amp itself.
Dan, I have a package 3, therefore, no JBL.

Ken

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, that will make it a bit easier. Just remember, the MFD beeps come from the front speaker outputs and are subject to be uncontrollably louder if you amp them externally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm putting new component speakers and an amp in my classic '02 without nav. Can I expect this to go smoothly as in a newer model? Will the 12v be able to handle this load? How about if I add halogen foglights as well?
Thanx

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DanMan32 said:
Well, that will make it a bit easier. Just remember, the MFD beeps come from the front speaker outputs and are subject to be uncontrollably louder if you amp them externally.
Dan, isn't there a way to mute the beeps?

Ken

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sure, don't connect the speakers. :)

But to use the front speaker outputs and not have beeps? Nope.
Well, in theory, you could develop a device to intercept the beep command on the AVC and alter it before the head unit (or JBL amp) received it from MFD. Such device currently doesn't exist.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DanMan32 said:
Sure, don't connect the speakers. :)

But to use the front speaker outputs and not have beeps? Nope.
Well, in theory, you could develop a device to intercept the beep command on the AVC and alter it before the head unit (or JBL amp) received it from MFD. Such device currently doesn't exist.
Dan, just picked up my package 3 on Saturday and I just found out this A.M. that the touch screen beep can be turned off. Yeah! :)

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts