Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question.... I noticed while I was stopped at a light today that the energy display showed the electric motor supplying the powertrain while I was at a standstill. I'd have expected it to show everything neutral as it usually seems to while stopped, if not actually charging the battery. Any idea why? The two things that occurred to me was that it shows supply to the A/C this way or that I was on enough slope that the engine wa being used to supplement the brake to counter tire rotation... but the slope is very slight. Or else it just took the display extra long to "catch up" with the current state...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
if you aren't pressing hard enough on the brake, the system thinks you are wanting to creep forward. There's a grey area where the brakes are holding enough to keep the car still, but the engine is still trying...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that was it, as I was sitting there for a while trying various things... In playing with it on the way home, I really have to have my foot almost totally off the brake to induce it that way. I also have been unable to reproduce the behavior, so perhaps I was hallucinating due to lack of morning coffee....

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my 2004 Prius, sometimes, I have to really press hard on the brake to get the display to stop showing that the electric motor is pushing the car. It may be just an instrument anomality but I think that melgish's explanation is correct.

Roger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts