Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
If purchased in the US, you don't have it unless you have done Coastal Dave's modification.

Japanese, and (I believe) European models have an Electic Vehicle mode where it forces the vehicle to use only the stored energy.

Several members have "modified" their PRIIs to have this feature with much discussion about what effect this would have on warranty protection.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The "EV Button" is a feature only factory-available on Prius outside of the United States. The design in the United States supports it, but to invoke that special stealth mode you must add an aftermarket button.

If used properly, it can improve your MPG. For example, delaying warm-up until after you get out on the main road allows the initial travel along the smaller road to be mostly on electricity. So when the engine does run, it is used in a more efficient way... rather than just running at times for the sake of warm-up.

EV mode reduces the maximum speed, but increases the electric power availability (so you can press the accelerator-pedal harder than you do with stealth). The engine will start-up at some point though. In fact, if the conditions are not right, the engine may not shut off. Pushing the button only suggests EV to the computer. The computer will only allow it when it is appropriate, the mode is not forced as many people commonly believe.

Also note that there is a legal holdback. The EPA has absolutely no way to rate such a feature. Dealing with a "full" hybrid is hard enough. Figuring out how to determine the MPG for EV is next to impossible... especially since using the button too often could actually reduce your overall efficiency.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
FarNorth said:
If purchased in the US, you don't have it unless you have done Coastal Dave's modification.

Japanese, and (I believe) European models have an Electic Vehicle mode where it forces the vehicle to use only the stored energy.

Several members have "modified" their PRIIs to have this feature with much discussion about what effect this would have on warranty protection.
Just to be nit picky, although Coastal Dave's little circuit is handy it's far from the first or only way to obtain EV buttons/mod. In fact most of us who did this after Wayne Brown (with assistance from an annonymous UK relation) discovered how to do it, did so with a simple momentary switch from Radio Shack. Since several sources for OEM EV buttons have appeared. Coastal Dave did pioneer the CC switch and a means of using the headlight flasher to substitute for the actual button.

One guy actually found a radio controlled momentary switch that was programable into his Homelink rear-view mirror and can engage EV mode via those buttons!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Once, I encountered an owner with SS (Smart-Start) that didn't know how it worked. For the first six months of ownership, he was inserting the fob into the slot.

He had simply just bought the BC package, trusting Toyota to deliver. And he was so delighted with the initial owner experience that he had no reason to think other high-tech goodies were also included.

And yes, I also ran into an owner that thought SE (Smart-Entry) required you to push the black button to unlock the Prius. He wasn't paying attention to what his fingers were doing while his thumb pressed the button. He had no idea placing his hand in the handle area wasn't necessary. So when I made a statement about "touchless unlock", he thought I was just making it up.

Heck, years back I had someone absolutely insist that stealth was harmful to the car, that Toyota never intended Prius to be driven that way. She even fought me briefly online to stop me from promoting stealth, thinking I was encouraging people to do something dangerous.

In other words, we are always at the mercy of misconceptions. Some are carry-overs from previous technologies. Others are created by not fully understanding how the new technology works.

That should kind of help you to understand why Toyota decided that now was an inappropriate time to make the "EV button" available here. They have enough to deal with already.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
john1701a said:
That should kind of help you to understand why Toyota decided that now was an inappropriate time to make the "EV button" available here. They have enough to deal with already.
That and the "Clean Air Act" business that's been discussed so much now at the Yahoo 2G group. I think the gyrations required to get around those laws would be WAY more than they had time to deal with and the money and resources probably make it not at all worth it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts