Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS KIT IS MADE BY COASTAL ELECTRIC HAS ANYONE
PUT ONE OF THESE IN THEIR PRIUS? HOW WAS THE OUTCOME, PERFORMANCE WAS IT AS PROJECTED? THE TOYOTA CO. SAYS IT VOIDS THE WARRANTY, ANYTHING TO DISPUTE THAT? IF IT IS INSTALLED WHAT ARE THE TROUBLE EFFECTS? :lol:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Where did you see that Toyota says it will void the warranty? I don't recall them coming out and actually saying that. Speculation has been rampant, however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, thanks for the come back. here is what i heard, my brother purchased
2, one being the prius and the other the highlander both hybrids.
we asked the salesman about the unit, and that is where we got the statement. he wouldn't elaborate about the void warranty so i told my brother that he was just making it up and there is no such thing. probably
don't want anyone putting it in so they can for big bucks.

have you heard or no of any problems with the installation of this, i have mine in hand and am anxious to get it in, just want to make sure if there are any bugs out there i know what to look for and if there are none,
that is even better.

thanks for the answer

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There is an A in the Q&A section of Toyota's website stating that the warranty would be voided. The wording is vauge though, suggesting that they may be targetting modifications like Prius+.

There has been great debate about this. My opinion, Toyota may try to void the warranty, but I don't think they would be successful if taken to court, as we are doing nothing more than adding back the switch that is included in the Prius in every other market outside of North America. Same programming, same pin, same built-in programmed safeguards. Only difference is, we don't have a status indicator to tell us if we are in EV or not.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
There is an A in the Q&A section of Toyota's website stating that the warranty would be voided. The wording is vauge though, suggesting that they may be targetting modifications like Prius+.
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/faq.html

25. Does Toyota support the modification of my Prius to be a plug-in Hybrid and run on electric mode only with a switch?

Any such alterations, modifications or tampering with the vehicle voids the warranty and is likely to be counterproductive for air quality and Prius’ durability and safety.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prius switch

hi
thanks to all of you who answered and gave comment on the ev switch.
makes me more comfortable in installing it. australia says it comes with that option over there and elsewhere over seas, so if it a option there
must be the oil companies here and toyota that want to make some
big money or not, doing it themselves.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My hidden-agenda-theory is that EV mode kills the battery faster, and Toyota thinks US citizens will sue while elsewhere Prius owners will sob and fork over big bucks for a new one.

The more common story is that the EPA rules on emission controls prevent Toyota from offering the switch, but that's just wnat they want you to think... :wink:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Toyota support the modification of my Prius to be a plug-in Hybrid and run on electric mode only with a switch?"

Note the word AND. If it said OR it would preclude an EV switch by itself, but with AND, it only precludes the combo of plug-in and EV mode.

·
Registered
112 Posts
argh. It does NOT "kill the battery" faster. The system
doesn't let the battery get any lower than it normally
would in non-ev-mode use. Misconceptions abound.
_H*

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hobbit said:
argh. It does NOT "kill the battery" faster. The system
doesn't let the battery get any lower than it normally
would in non-ev-mode use. Misconceptions abound.
_H*

I don't entirely agree with this statement. Without using EV mode, the SOC in my Prius VERY rarely goes below three bars (pink). When using EV mode, it is very easy to make the SOC go pink. So, I would say that EV mode will allow the battery to get lower than it normally would.

That said, I believe EV mode does not let the SOC get down to any "unsafe" or "harmful" level.

BTW: I installed my own EV button. Total cost <$5. Coastal wouldn't return my calls/emails.

DGStan

·
Registered
928 Posts
hyperion said:
I would really like to talk to a knowledgeable Prius service rep about Toyotas reasoning on not installing this mode on U.S. cars before I ever installed one. About all I've heard this year is "I don't know" with a lot of guesses. Not one comment like, "I'll find out for you!"
Just a guess on my part, but I really doubt service reps are provided with this information. You'll probably need to hunt down a knowledgeable "higher up" in Toyota USA marketing and/or legal.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: Does ev mode increase MPG?

salsaprius said:
What our the advantages of ev mode?
At what speed does the engine start?
How much does it increase MPG?
There are a few very specific cases where EV can save you a few drops of gas, and save the environment a few grains of emissions... other than those...the show-it-off-to-your-friends factor is the only advantage.

34 MPH

If used excessively it can actually lower your MPG.

I use it mainly for:

1. backing out of the garrage to get at the lawn mower

2. driving the 1/8 mile from work to nearest gas station

3. if battery is green when I get to the last 1/4 mile of my commute, I'll go EV so the next time I start the car, the warm-up phase can be used to charge as well as warm-up

·
Registered
370 Posts
benighted said:
BTW: I installed my own EV button. Total cost <$5. Coastal wouldn't return my calls/emails.

DGStan
Do you have any instructions on how to install my own EV button?
I found several over on PriusChat way back when. It looks like they've lost everything (at least for now), so I'll try to attach what I have here.

DGStan

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought about getting this kit also but I've been told that if you drive the Prius under 34 anyway, your car will not use the gas motor unless it needs to charge the battery or accellerate fast. The only reason I would want it is to sit in the car and play video games on the Nav screen (with the addition of the video input) but couldn't I just tunr the car on and without EV mode it would act the same way?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts