Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my coworkers just bought a toyota prius. After talking with him about it I started wondering if I could get within 10% of the gas mileage for 10% of the cost.

So last week I bought a 1992 geo metro for $950, and just finished the first tank of gas (50 mpg). Now I am thinking that I may be able to do better with a sort of homebrew hybid.

I remember someone who owned a homebuilt electric vehicle stating that $/mile it was equivilant to 70 mpg. An electric vehicle wont work for me because I live too far away from work. Then today I was reading the article below and came up with an idea.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/electroc ... harger.php

Why not replace my AC compressor with a small electric motor, that does nothing but assist the engine there by improving my MPG. Only instead of using gas to charge the batteries I would use electricity to charge it at night.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There are a few home-built "plug-in" hybrids out there. And putting an electric 'turbo' into a Geo Metro is essentially the idea behind the Honda Insight. (They made the most efficient car they could possibly make, then tacked on a limited electric system.)

Yes, you can have better mileage than the Prius. And you can have close-to-the-same mileage for less money. But in neither case will you get a midsize car that comfortably seats 5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No question a Prius is a nicer car, by a long long shot.

To me I just wanted to experiment, without waisting any money.

still, I someday want to build an electric car.

-------

I didn't relize that the insight was essentually and electric supercharger?!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts