Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened? The new search box looks all kinds of goofy. And it appears to throw off the menu. (See screenshot.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I agree that the addition of the search throws off the layout of the page. Your welcome to give creating a new layout a try....I'll probably use it. You will have to create a new PHPBB template that includes the modifications for the Attachemnt mod.
Hit me with a PM if you need a copy of the current template.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Please, whatever anybody does, don't mess with the width of the site pages (by spread'g out the menu again). I hated having to shift from side to side in order to read the post'g times & dates on one side or the author's names on the other side or to read a complete line of text. The way it is now is fine in that regard.

However, even though I thought the new Google Search might work better, I have now tried it out & I'm more disappointed in the new one than in the old one. I was specifically trying to find Michelle's ORIGINAL post of the "Prius Unit Sales History USA" (NOT the "Sticky" at the top of Prius-General) & clicked on PriusOnLine.com (NOT the "Web") & then only got 2 results (both ON the web & nothing to do with any sales figures).

At least with the old search engine you could search by author or topic & you could narrow your search by chosing "Any words" or "All words" & there were a couple of other option choices too. I presonally think the old one worked better but probably did need some repair work to make it usefull beyond only a year back [especially since this site was started around 2002 (?)]. Please keep all this in mind when doing the next revamp. Thanks.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Ct. Ken V said:
Please, whatever anybody does, don't mess with the width of the site pages (by spread'g out the menu again). I hated having to shift from side to side in order to read the post'g times & dates on one side or the author's names on the other side or to read a complete line of text. The way it is now is fine in that regard.
On most pages I'm still scrolling...

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
O.K., Pete,

I don't want to come across sound'g bossy, but don't you think it's time to fix the 2nd "broken" search engine? Before it was only me & Dan who were voicing complaints about how much LESS the new Google search helps to find posts in our own PriusOnLine site than the previous search engine did. But now Michelle's back & she is having difficulty using the new one too. I know I don't really count much, but I don't mind saying that we all can't afford to have our 2 most prolific researchers & posters of absolutely marvelous information bogged down by a search engine that doesn't want to cooperate.

I know it's probably a big task & you're probably also stretched kind of thin running your computer business & this wonderful site, but please can't you find something that will work better than what we have now, even if it means going back to what we just had & revamp'g that to make it work better. Thanks for listening, Pete!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
it is hard to believe, but I actually MISS the old priusonline search engine. It wasn't the greatest, but at least I could search posts by member fairly easily, and would bring up the most recent threads that matched a search term. If I still didn't find what I was looking for, THEN I'd go and do a google search with the site:priusonline.com search constraint to see if Google had cached the old page.

Now, with solely the Google search, you are at the mercy of the last time Google crawled through the site, so are unlikely to find recent posts, nor can you limit the search by author. Perhaps if Google crawled the site more often (or deeply), but... I find that the Google search is only really useful if you have a lot of static content, or at least isn't updated fairly often.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I still think all that old search engine needed was for this site's indexes to be rebuilt. However, because of the crashes, it is also possible that the keys linking the various database tables got skewed, so that older posts weren't really bringing up what was expected.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: reindex update

pete said:
Well the reindexing of the search is about 1/2 done and appears to be working. Just tried a search and got results from all the way back to Feb 2002. :D
You're a good bunny, Pete! Such a good owner. :*

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Just got around to testing the search engine. Submitted search for all keywords Battery and Boyfriend.

Passed. Was able to find that article about the classic Prius with 200K+ miles on it.

Thanks so much Pete!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts