Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the EDR (Event Date Recorder, a.k.a. "Black Box") is located? More importantly, how can it be disabled or the memory purged?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Because the manual says so. Check the front pages of the manual and it will tell you that the vehicle is recording event data and it can be retreived and analyzed in case of an accident.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are two possibilities and I would vote for the second (unless there is an unmentioned "black box" that is not it Prius New Car features) First there is the Air Bag sensor assembly that send a message to the HV ECU that cuts High Voltage power. In addition it is not clear to what degree all the ECUs would contain data. Toyota admits to a "black box" but they state that data will only be released to the "appropriate authorities" for what that is worth.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
hdrygas said:
...Toyota admits to a "black box" but they state that data will only be released to the "appropriate authorities" for what that is worth.
Yah, like if subpoenaed in a personal injury action... :::shudder::: It's supposed to record stuff like seatbelts on, speed, brakes applied, etc. You know - all the juicy stuff that is always asked in the interrogatories in litigation.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sanny said:
hdrygas said:
...Toyota admits to a "black box" but they state that data will only be released to the "appropriate authorities" for what that is worth.
Yah, like if subpoenaed in a personal injury action... :::shudder::: It's supposed to record stuff like seatbelts on, speed, brakes applied, etc. You know - all the juicy stuff that is always asked in the interrogatories in litigation.
Yes, Event data Recorder. I had one "Lady" customer sent in a new owner survey and she was not happy that I was not able to _Diss-Connect_ the device for her so she gave me a "zero" grade survey ! She said that I was
not helping her enough and that Toyota Corp and its sellers are spying on her ! Sanny is right, Toyota wants to protect in the event that some one falls asleep and goes to the center highway ditch and injures themselves.
Then the "Manufacturer" Prius defective ....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sanny said:
hdrygas said:
It can also be used to track where you drive though I don't know if those cars that don't have the navigation system or built -in GPS have this "feature". If your car is stolen, and they see that it was in an area known for auto theft, you could be held liable for being there.

Additionally, rental car companies are using them to track customers; if they see that the customer was speeding, they charge a "per event" fee.
None of this should be legal, but until the devices are ordered removed, we should be told how to disable them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
jeromep said:
Because the manual says so. Check the front pages of the manual and it will tell you that the vehicle is recording event data and it can be retreived and analyzed in case of an accident.
Sounds pretty definitive. But I'll have to take your word for it since my 2001 manual doesn't mention it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I recall seeing it in the manual. I think that the Prius is not the only newer car that has this. I can well imagine that there might be some interesting legal test cases coming up... whatcha think, Sanny?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Most cars have them. Some states have declared the data as personal property of the car owner, which would make refusal to disclose a right under the fifth amendment.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The car will record an instantaneous event whenever a DTC is set. Deploying the airbags will most certainly set at least one DTC, and thus do a freezeframe of various car statistics.

Beyond that, it is not recording everything you are doing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah, but the nonvolatility of that data depends on which ECU
records it. Part of emergency response is to disconnect all batteries, in the event
of a wreck. That would clear the DTCs and freeze frames in the
hybrid and engine ECUs. I would tend to suspect the skid-control
ECU more, because as I've found out just this week holds its events
and DTCs in *nonvolatile* memory. It also reads the wheel speed
sensors, the steering situation, the brake pedal ...
all the elements of "black box" recording, plus storage independent of most
external influences.
_
So that's what I'd suspect as having EDR
functionality.
_
_H*

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
romad said:
Sanny said:
hdrygas said:
It can also be used to track where you drive though I don't know if those cars that don't have the navigation system or built -in GPS have this "feature". If your car is stolen, and they see that it was in an area known for auto theft, you could be held liable for being there.

Additionally, rental car companies are using them to track customers; if they see that the customer was speeding, they charge a "per event" fee.
None of this should be legal, but until the devices are ordered removed, we should be told how to disable them.
The Navigation system in the Prius does not transmit any data. It only receives signals from the GPS satellites to determine your location, and plots it on a map found on the DVD. It does NOT send a signal of your location anywhere.

However, if you want tracking capabilites (like several rental car companies and truck fleets do), then you need to install something like: http://www.guidepointsystems.com/

·
Registered
92 Posts
My "05" owner's manual says exactly what's recorded and where the EDR is located (in th SRS airbag sensor assembly).

Event data recorder
Your vehicle has computers that monitor and control
certain aspects of your vehicle. These computers assist
in driving and maintaining optimal vehicle performance.
Besides storing data useful for troubleshooting, there is
a system to record data in a crash or a near car crash
event. This is called an Event Data Recorder (EDR).
The SRS airbag sensor assembly contains the EDR. In
a crash or a near car crash event, this device records
some or all of the following information:
 Engine speed
 Whether the brake pedal was applied or not
 Vehicle speed
 To what extent the accelerator pedal was depressed
 Position of the transmission selector lever
 Whether the driver and front passenger wore the
seat belts or not
 Driver’s seat position
 Front passenger’s occupant classification
 SRS airbag deployment data
 SRS airbag system diagnostic data
The information above is intended to be used for the
purpose of improving vehicle safety performance. Unlike
general data recorders, the EDR does not record sound
data such as conversation between passengers.
Toyota will not disclose the data recorded in an EDR to
a third party except when:
 An agreement from the vehicle’s owner (or the leasing
company for a leased vehicle) is obtained
 Officially requested by the police or other authorities
 Used as a defence for Toyota in a law suit
 Ordered by the court
However, if necessary Toyota will:
 Use the data for research on Toyota vehicle safety
performance
 Disclose the data to a third party for research purposes
without disclosing details of the vehicle owner,
and only when it is deemed necessary
 Disclose summarized data cleared of vehicle identification
information to a non- Toyota organization for
research purposes

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
OverTork said:
My "05" owner's manual says exactly what's recorded and where the EDR is located (in th SRS airbag sensor assembly).
I knew I'd read it somewhere. Yes, ladies and gents, I read the manual and the NAV book the very day the car arrived!! Cover to cover, both of them!! HAH!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts