Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2004 Prius, package 9 in order to get the features I wanted, such as air bags, smart entry and hands-free cell phone. I wish they would let you pick the options you want, not force you to take ones you don't want just to get a few you do want. If they're custom-mfg. anyway, why not? Ah, well.

When I picked the cellphone, I had this naive assumption that I would walk up to the car (no key--slick), sit down, and my cell phone would work automatically--hurrah, Toyota!

When I read the instructions on the web, however, it sounds like you have to go through a long series of phone display selections every time you get in. Is this true? If so, my wife will hate it, and maybe not use it.

Any comments from a current 2004 driver using this feature?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
My husband set up his Sony/Ericsson T68i
once or twice, and that was it. We've
even had the 2004 bond with the
cell phone when we got in the car
but the phone was on our 2nd story
bedroom table. The phone (I think)
is set up to automatically search
out devices.

Point is, once it is set up, it is
possible to just walk into the car
and have the car and phone bond
with you not doing anything besides turning the car on.

(It's my husband's 2004, and his
phone, so I apologize if I'm short
on details...)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just to confirm what mrv said. Once set up the phone and prius do automatically search for one another when you start the car. A banner appears on the screen that says "Bluetooth Connection Successful"--sometimes I forget to turn my phone on before I get in, in those cases I get "Bluetooth Connection Failed". Once I turn the phone on they find each other and the connection completes.

Very slick, very smooth, very convenient. Hard to believe I've lived without SE/S or Bluetooth for this long.
--evan
p.s. All along I assumed mrv was male...sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
efusco said:
don't worry about it. kinda looks like "Mr. V" as opposed to my initials M.R.V.

I thought that I had my signature turned on, but turns out I didn't... should be fixed now.

I rarely get to enjoy the 2004 except
as a passenger... I do recall that
my husband was having issues getting his
phone to bond in one mode (auto detect?)
and that the other mode (always on?) worked better.

Yeah, I forgot about those little
beep notices you mentioned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers!

It's great that Prius owners help each other out so!

I'm hopeful that the system will work with a Siemens S56 phone. Guess I'll just have to wait and find out. I'd rather not have to change my cellphone in order to get car compatibility. AT&T here only offers 2 bluetooth phones.

It sounds like the Prius design rewards you for driving every day (hotter water=lower emissions, less engine runtime) with better performance. I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
mrv said:
efusco said:
don't worry about it. kinda looks like "Mr. V" as opposed to my initials M.R.V.

I thought that I had my signature turned on, but turns out I didn't... should be fixed now.
:oops: Holy Cow, had no idea it was you Michelle!! I feel like such an idiot, just didn't realize you frequented this group...just assumed you were a YG junkie only.

It's like someone I know well just took off a disguise that I hadn't figured out who was wearing it.
--evan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am to take ownership of a new silver Prius #8 next week and am curious if there is anyone who can provide me with additional cell phones (besides those listed on John's Stuff website) which will work. I now have Verizon but they don't have any bluetooth phones.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry for the delay, went very well. Works even better than the Sony T610. I highly recommend the Siemens S56 for reasons of compatibility.

Hobbit59 said:
Joel,

How did the test go on the Siemens S56?

Hobbit59

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Joel,
There someone on the PriusChat and 2004-YG that's virtually given up on uploading his address book due to multiple failures despite otherwise good connection with the Prius.

Do you have any suggestions for him?

·
Registered
10 Posts
FYI- If anyone can use a GSM/SIM type phone ( ATT, T-Mobile, or Cingular) you can go to the http://www.nokia.com and look at their offerings. You can buy anything on their pages from them.
My suggestion would be the NOKIA 6310i (which I have used for the past few years along with many friends in Europe and works wonderfully with the Prius.
It doesn't have glamourous add-ons like color screens and cameras, but is very solidly optioned with huge phone book, recorder, calender, calculator and most of all is incredibly frugal in terms of stand -by time.

You can order from them and have it set up for whichever carrier you use. You can also have the phone "unlocked" at the end of your term and take it with you to another carrier if you so choose and be a "free-agent"
consumer! :!:
With a little work - software and the cable required are easily turned up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With a Siemens S56? Shouldn't be an issues. I'll go over and see if I can find the post.

efusco said:
Joel,
There someone on the PriusChat and 2004-YG that's virtually given up on uploading his address book due to multiple failures despite otherwise good connection with the Prius.

Do you have any suggestions for him?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts