Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I install a DVD player inside the Prius using its original MFD display unit where you see all the maps? I like to use the same screen and since my car has option #6, navigation, I was wondering if I could use the same screen to play DVD. That would be very nice :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've seen at least two aftermarket packages that allow you to do a video/audio in to the MFD. It would, of course, be illegal to play a DVD while driving, but I see no problem watching one while parked. One of the products was from Coastal Tech, which seems to have a horrible reputation on these boards as far as taking orders, then not delivering for many months (if at all). I don't remember where I saw the other one.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Coastal has promised one, but has never shipped one (granted, he hasn't charged anyone for one either).

VAIS is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
DVD player

This sounds like a spectacularly bad idea to me. It may also be illegal unless there's a cut-off switch to prevent you from watching while driving. Wasn't some guy up on murder charges for watching a DVD while driving and running into some people and killing them?

IMHO, of course.

Jan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Video is for Games

I'm starting to feel the same way about Coastal Tech. The customer service is just about the worst I have ever seen. The phone number lists operating hours yet out of the hundreds of times I have called, I've been lucky to get through only twice. Email responses take an avg of a week if they come at all. With all the plug and play games out now, I think it would be fun to drive one of my friends around in a Prius, park and play Atari on the screen. Or even hand it over to an "are we there yet?" passenger on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts