Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Prius for a whole week now and thanks to POL I've silenced the nagging back-up alarm.
Stopped and asked the local Toyota repair guys if the DRL's can be programmed on and if the door locks could be programmed to lock when the car started moving. They said "yes" to both, but they couldn't do it until the only Prius tech at the facility got his certification in 5 or 6 weeks.
Anybody know how to do this, locks gotta be just another "stand on your head, push the red button twice" type procedure. DRL's may take a scan tool.

TIA,

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
US models do not have DRLs, HID cannot anywhere.

Don't know about the locks, but others (Coastal?) have made a hardware mod, so I doubt it can be software enabled.

Good luck, report if the dealer suceeds, you will be very popular here if he is!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
s3nfo said:
Had the Prius for a whole week now and thanks to POL I've silenced the nagging back-up alarm.
Stopped and asked the local Toyota repair guys if the DRL's can be programmed on and if the door locks could be programmed to lock when the car started moving. They said "yes" to both, but they couldn't do it until the only Prius tech at the facility got his certification in 5 or 6 weeks.
Anybody know how to do this, locks gotta be just another "stand on your head, push the red button twice" type procedure. DRL's may take a scan tool.

TIA,
In place of DRL most here, including me, leave our headlights in the on position all the time. They will shut off when you turn off the car and open the driver's door.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just found out a drawback to leaving the lights to on and letting them go on and off with the door. In the daytime if your lights are on, it overrides the light sensor for dimming the mfd and the dash readouts. Isn't a big deal but when it's bright it's kinda hard to see.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Just move the dimmer wheel past the click, and it's at full brightness, even with the lights on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
To expand on KTPhil's response:
There is no sensor for the lights on the US vehicles. The sensor you think is for the lights is for the HVAC to detect solar radiation, so it can make the cabin cooler to make it feel like the temp you select.
The blank space next to the sensor is where the light sensor would be.

In Canada, they have DRL and full auto headlights, and the sensor. They however do not have the option for HIDs.

The car doesn't have the feature to auto lock the car once moving, nor can it auto lock once you have left the car for a while. Coastal does have an auto lock mod that locks the car once you move, and Nate tried developing a lock mod that would lock the car after so many seconds of the car being off and doors closed, but Nate didn't have enough takers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Locks/Lights

Has anyone contacted Toyota directly or through your dealer to request or ask about adding auto locks when driving and Auto Lights at night like other Prius's in other places have? (Maybe not the lock, but I know the lights are) I know it is a long shot and the 2006s are probably done for the drawing board but I was just wondering why these weren't on the US models... Let me know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Locks/Lights

Has anyone contacted Toyota directly or through your dealer to request or ask about adding auto locks when driving and Auto Lights at night like other Prius's in other places have? (Maybe not the lock, but I know the lights are) I know it is a long shot and the 2006s are probably done for the drawing board but I was just wondering why these weren't on the US models... Let me know

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Again, full auto headlamps for forgone to allow for HID. Canada gets full auto and DRL, but because of that (DRL required by law) they can't get HID.
I am sure there should be some way to accomodate DRL with HID, but Toyota chose not to in the Prius. Not too many places to add lights.

As for auto lock, it may be possible as an aftermarket device, but the car doesn't provide it. See Coastal Dave for one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts