Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the form and would like to know what are the best driving styles /methods to most efficiently reap the benefits of the hybrid technology and get high mpg's.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
David Duchesne said:
I am new to the form and would like to know what are the best driving styles /methods to most efficiently reap the benefits of the hybrid technology and get high mpg's.
As so often is necessary, we need more information from you. You said you're new to the forum, but how long have you had your Prius? What kind of commute do you have and what's your current mileage for that commute?

How much time are you willing to sacrifice and is it even realistic to adjust your driving style enough to make a significant difference in your mileage?

Read the following:
http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode ... bf8ad20705

Then answer my questions above, and add any others that came up while reading my article. THEN I can tell you exactly what you can do for your life/style to get better mileage. If you've read through the recent posts you'll see that with time, energy, concentration and the right speed and route you can get up to 120mpg in your Prius...realistically that isn't going to happen as those were some fairly tightly controlled circumstances and real life isn't like that. Still, 50mpg should be a very realistic lifetime goal for all Prius owners.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re:high mileage techniques

i have just put my down-payment on a package 1 prius and should have it in a week.

I test drove a prius and found it difficult to initially understand the display panel and its arrows indicatibd energy flow.

I live in Canada. The winter months are cold. I wonder if an electric block heater would be useful in early morning warm ups- or just let the car warm up 5 minutes before pulling down the drivway, as I cannot garage the car.

I live in a small town and often drop off my kids within 1-2 miles of the house.

A second type of travel is to 2 towns 25km and 45 km away. We have a good dual lane highway (rolling hills) so oncoming traffic is not a factor once I travel 7 minutes through my town and get on the highway.

Lastly I am purchasing this car with no gov.incentives even though our fed. goverment is rolling in surplus funds.

David

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re:high mileage techniques

i have just put my down-payment on a package 1 prius and should have it in a week.

I test drove a prius and found it difficult to initially understand the display panel and its arrows indicatibd energy flow.

I live in Canada. The winter months are cold. I wonder if an electric block heater would be useful in early morning warm ups- or just let the car warm up 5 minutes before pulling down the drivway, as I cannot garage the car.

I live in a small town and often drop off my kids within 1-2 miles of the house.

A second type of travel is to 2 towns 25km and 45 km away. We have a good dual lane highway (rolling hills) so oncoming traffic is not a factor once I travel 7 minutes through my town and get on the highway.

Lastly I am purchasing this car with no gov.incentives even though our fed. goverment is rolling in surplus funds.

David

·
Registered
173 Posts
Driving 1-2 miles on a cold winter day is probably the worst case for MPG for any vehicle. I would guess a block heater would improve MPG and reduce pollution especially if your electric is hydro :)

It might be worth investigating the EV mode switch I've heard about for those short trips. I'm not sure how far / fast you can go in pure electric mode with that. Maybe someone with an EV switch can give you an informed answer.

Traffic is not as much of a problem with the prius as with other cars because you get some of the energy back into the battery when you slow down instead of it being converted into heat at the brake pads.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You'll get 1-2 miles on EV, maybe less on cold days. The battery needs to be comfortable to be most efficient, so on cold days you may not get its full capacity. But deferring the warmup phase for a future trip probably would be to your advantage if you can do it.
A block heater certainly would shorten the warmup phase on cold days. Even on hot days (90+ degrees) it takes 5 minutes before optimum MPG is achieved. During that 5 minutes in mild climates, MPG is about 30-35.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It would be best for you to drive several hundred or even a couple thousand miles just to get used to the car, your routine, and to establish a baseline. My article makes several specific recommendations that you can try. In winter you can, indeed, expect signficantly lower mileage and a block heater will certainly be of help.

There are a number of Canadian members of this and other Prius sites that, I'm sure, can give good advice.

IMO, an EV button will be of little or no use to you at all for a 1-2 mile commute. If you make it at all to your destination on battery power it will be very low and running it that low routinely is probably not a good idea. I'd just use the engine block warmer and get in the car and drive. Within 1 mile you should be able to allow the ICE to shut off automatically at stops. Gas mileage driving just 1-2 miles will be low from a cold start and there's just not anything you can, realistically, do to avoid that.

The rest of your longer commute should give you some very good mileage...if you said what the average speed was for that route I missed it, but keep it at the speed limit and you should see some nice numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I would highly suggest reading:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Canada-Prius/

Depending on what province you are in, there are tax incentives available in Canada. See the Links section in the above group.

A car will warm up faster when under load (being driven), so just drive it. You do not need to let the car sit in the driveway idling to warm it up. If you are in some of the larger metropolitian areas of Canada, it may even be illegal.

But, if you want it, there is an engine block heater available in Canada. It'll only help warm up the engine oil. The Canadian Prius should still have the engine coolant thermos to keep some of the coolant warm. However, the engine itself, the catalytic converter, the O2 sensors, and other engine/emissions equipment will not be warmed up by a block heater so your engine will still run for warmup reasons anyways...

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
As to the engine block heater, I might be interested in that considering that here in northern Vermont it can get down to -20F and average near 0F in January. My '97 Subaru Outback has one from the factory and has come in handy occasionally. Is there a link to one for a Prius?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts